Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Recommendations
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

Looking for a recommendation for a clutch disc for my new turbo 2176 motor (build thread soon to come) As far as I have seen, this motor should be very capable of 220+ hp, and it is meant to be a daily driver. I’ve already purchased a stage 2 pressure plate from Kennedy, and I now need to decide on a disc.

What do you recommend?

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

A Stage II will get old real fast if you drive in traffic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

Don't have a lot of choice with that kind of power. You will be on the edge with a stage 2 and Daikin disk at that level. Mine started to slip around that power. I went with a stage 2 and a centerforce, and it held for the 15 miles i got on it. It held enough to break the axle.
I think if i were to do it again i would spring for something like a Kennedy dual disk. Pair that with a stage 1 pressure plate.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I went with a stage 2 and a centerforce...

I also daily-drove a Stage 2 with a Centerforce (Berg) disc for years. No complaints, I'd do it again.

I don't think electrickery works that way
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A Stage II will get old real fast if you drive in traffic.

I have the "long" arm on the clutch shaft, and it's not bad at all. If you use the stock short arm it is a bit tighter.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

I have a Kennedy Stage II PP with a CB Super Disc tested and then shimmed .031" to get me to holding 250 ft. lbs. torque on my torque wrench. I would have tested higher but my torque wrench was maxed out.

I recommend testing anything you install. That way you know what you gain when you change.

Get an old input shaft and weld a 1/2 inch drive socket on it or a 15/16ths nut and then you can use a torque wrench to test.

I used a metric Wavy washer under each pad to get my .031" shim...It's worked well for three seasons now.

I drive it daily spring through fall and have at least 13,000 miles on the combo. I did add a 100mm arm...actually I extended a stock arm to 100mm since I couldn't find a long arm at the time.
I have no issues driving it on the street. It is a little stiffer than the Stage I but not like it would bother.

So far it's holding 220 plus crank hp.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

My new trans has a long arm so I'm looking forward to that. Art do you have any idea what your car weighs? Would weight impact clutch holding much?
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

I already have an ACE copperhead disc, sounds like that's pretty much the same thing as the super disc/centerforce. Is that correct?

I was pretty happy with the copperhead on my 1915, I'd happily use it again if it will work nicely with the stage 2 on this motor.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

Copperhead disc should give a lot more holding power than a CB Super Disc.

I would try that disc with the Stage I if you already have it...it might be all you need....But since you have a Stage II on the way you might as well run the Copper Disc.

I'm turboed with a 1679 and 220 crank hp.....you should be itching to turn it up and surpass me in a few months of driving.

I know Chip and Mario were having clutch issues way back when...Mario was fighting it at 236 whp and Chip was way up there too and having slippage issues.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
My new trans has a long arm so I'm looking forward to that. Art do you have any idea what your car weighs? Would weight impact clutch holding much?

My Buggy weighs 1660 with me in it.....I would say tire would have a bunch to do with it.
Put an 11 inch wide tire in the back of your bug........ Wink Laughing Cool

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

KEP Stage 2 with Centerforce dual-friction disc and 100mm clutch lever. 204 WHP in my street-strip Beetle.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
buguy wrote:

My Buggy weighs 1660 with me in it.....I would say tire would have a bunch to do with it.
Put an 11 inch wide tire in the back of your bug........ Wink Laughing Cool

I wish i could! It needs it! But i have to say, i don't think that is really much lighter than mine. I was expecting you to say more like 1400#. My 65 is only 1600# stock. Ive never weighed it myself. A little more with the turbo, electronics, and W/A intercooler....and my 160#. But i also have no chrome, bumpers, one piece windows, and glass fenders.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
with a stage 1 Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

1660 lbs is with me in it... Not many cars move without a driver..

The roll bar added 110 lbs. It used to be 1540 lbs with me in it.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
with a stage 1 Wink

Never seen a 4 puck with a sprung center?

Only EMPI.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

well they added 3 more rivets in hopes of it not exploding...
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

look real close guys Shocked ,, Made in USA
have same one in my turbo bug for the last 5 YEARS Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

a lighter disc can be controlled better by the synchros in the transaxle....another factor of how much disc/ plate to run is how much transaxle you have.

I've recommended some people disc or plate down a little if they aren't going to do much with their transaxle, clutches are easier to replace than the transaxle.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
a lighter disc can be controlled better by the synchros in the transaxle....another factor of how much disc/ plate to run is how much transaxle you have.

I've recommended some people disc or plate down a little if they aren't going to do much with their transaxle, clutches are easier to replace than the transaxle.

That is what Scott always says, a lighter clutch disc saves synchros compared to a heavy copper disc.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Recommendations Reply with quote

shhh I was trying to drum up some business for u guys Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: