Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

All - I have a 67 convertible, and I'm looking to have the original rear PVC carpet rebound. I can't tell if the bottom part of the carpet originally had binding, or not. Mine has some partial binding (which looks original) on the bottom, but the pictures I have found on the site (such as below) look to have that section completely unbound.

Does anyone have an original in a convertible who can tell if this was originally bound all the way around (or have some thoughts on it)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

Harry, my '67 convertible has the original cloth binding still intact, and it extends 5" inwards on the bottom on each side, but no further. The rest of the bottom edge is not covered with any cloth binding, only the first 5" on either end, then unbound. This might be because mine is an early (August '66) production and later versions might have done away with the extra 10" of unseen binding? How far does your binding extend down there?

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Harry, my '67 convertible has the original cloth binding still intact, and it extends 5" inwards on the bottom on each side, but no further. The rest of the bottom edge is not covered with any cloth binding, only the first 5" on either end, then unbound.

That's about how mine is, but having that small part bound and having the rest unbound didn't make sense to me, especially given pictures I've seen of that side being completely unbound, so I assumed the middle part had ripped off. Are you positive there was never binding between those two bound sections?

Thanks!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

Yes. 100% sure, Harry. No binding was between those two 5" areas. A lot of the little detail things the factory did or changed during any given model year (especially '67) might not make much "sense" to us enthusiasts over a half century later, but they had their reasons.

No trace of prior remnants of any binding or stitching along that bottom stretch of material on my '67, except for the abrupt ending of the binding at about 5" inward along the bottom on each side. It was in a well hidden area, normally completely out of sight anyway.. so go figure!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

I think 67conv is on the right track, that area is usually never seen. There are quite a few other what I would call cost saving omissions VW did, like not painting the rest of the interior sheet metal when they painted the dash and door edges and the sheet metal under the head liner area isn't painted. Really it is probably quite a $$ savings when you look at how many cars they produced.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
No trace of prior remnants of any binding or stitching along that bottom stretch of material on my '67, except for the abrupt ending of the binding at about 5" inward along the bottom on each side. It was in a well hidden area, normally completely out of sight anyway.. so go figure!

Thanks! I'm taking the rear carpet to be rebound on Monday, so I'd like to give him the right information. Could you tell me, if you are able to, exactly how far from the end the bottom edge is bound (is it exactly 5"?), are each side bound the same distance, and is there any stitching at the edge (vertical) of the binding on the bottom, or does it just end with the horizontal stitching stopping (if that makes sense)?

Thanks, again, for all of your help!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

Harry, here is a picture from another early '67 convertible (not mine) which clearly shows the binding in question extending inwards along the bottom edge. To answer your questions, the binding extends 5 1/2" (not 5") inwards equally on both sides, and stops right at 5 1/2". I will post additional close up pictures of my car's binding in those corner areas, as it's not exactly easy to describe how the original was done (stitched, ends, etc) in that area without photos to aid in the description.

One can only make an assumption, based on seeing a limited number of original 1967 convertibles in that rear luggage area, that there was a change over mid year with all the other detail changes to eliminate those two 5 1/2" strips of binding - to no binding along the bottom at all - as in your first picture. There's not enough of a database to support that assumption, but it's in line with other "early" vs "mid" vs "late" '67 detail changes. Methinks the bean counters probably asked: "Why waste 11" of binding material and the time to stitch it down there, anyway?" It'd be interesting to see if anyone has an ORIGINAL '68 or '69 'vert that used the same material back there if it has those 5 1/2" binding strips or nothing like some of the later '67's.

67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 67-71 Beetle Rear Carpet binding Reply with quote

Here are some close up detail pictures. Consider this cloth binding has been down there for 54 1/2 years, so it's no beauty queen!! Hope this might be helpful to you and your your upholsterer..

Driver side:

Passenger side:

..underside

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: