Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unsteady speedometer needle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

Any idea how to get the needle steady?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

Might be......

A frayed cable or cable casing
Bad EGR light box
Speedometer needs service/repairs
Hub cap hole rounded
Hub cap loose on disc

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennybenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

Do a search here. Long threads that lay out different scenarios.

Blasphemy for some, but I lean towards replacing parts vs troubleshooting. partially because I am working on my van laying in the street in NYC and partially because I value my time, so I did a search and picked the most likely fix. Usually works, sometimes a 3-5 day delay waiting on another part. Dig through the threads, there are real informed posts.

A new cable that bypasses the o2 sensor with careful routing worked for me. Most parts are cheap if your time has value or you can’t get to work.

Jason.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

You can try this. Remove the instrument cluster cover and plastic shield so you can access the speedo cable behind the instrument. Go for a drive on a safe empty road at a speed that causes the needle to bounce. Carefully reach behind the speedo and gently move the cable to alter the arc and orientation to see if there is a happy place where the needle does not bounce. BTDT. The cable can slightly bind internally and the happy spot allows it to turn smoothly.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

I have the same issue under 30 mph, The person who rebuilt my speed told me that that comes from a bend in the speed cable, not the speed itself.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

Mine was the grease/dust cap rounding off and allowing the cable end to slip. Cheap part, PITA to replace. Mine still doesn’t work completely right, sorta does but for the wrong reason. I’ll get to it later. I still have my tach . .
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
I have the same issue under 30 mph, The person who rebuilt my speed told me that that comes from a bend in the speed cable, not the speed itself.

My comment applies in this case too. Try it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

By unsteady do you mean that the needle is "bouncing" at low speeds? If this is the case you probably just need to run some oil down the inside of the speedometer cable. Disconnect the cable at both ends and squirt a liberal amount of oil inside both ends, reassemble and see if that cures the issue.

I've done this with both my Westy and my Thing when I experienced this "bouncing" and oiling the cable inside of the speedometer cable sheath fixed the issue in both cases.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

i replaced my speedo cable and had it in the sweet spot of smooth needle action. then i removed the cluster to fix an issue and now i can either get it to play nice below or above 45 mph. at 45 mph is bounces like mad.

it's a fun game to move the cable to find the sweet spot, wait, not it's not.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
By unsteady do you mean that the needle is "bouncing" at low speeds? If this is the case you probably just need to run some oil down the inside of the speedometer cable. Disconnect the cable at both ends and squirt a liberal amount of oil inside both ends, reassemble and see if that cures the issue.

I've done this with both my Westy and my Thing when I experienced this "bouncing" and oiling the cable inside of the speedometer cable sheath fixed the issue in both cases.

+1. The low speed bounce went away for me with a generous application of triflow to both ends of the cable.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
wbailey2112 wrote:

+1. The low speed bounce went away for me with a generous application of triflow to both ends of the cable.

Heading to the garage now!😉👍

Tornado Red
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unsteady speedometer needle Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
wbailey2112 wrote:

Tried the Triflo — no joy. Sad

Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: