Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
depps74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

The thread title says it all really. The engine revs but no movement till its really revving. Then after about a minute or two it seems ok. Its also a little abrupt when I put it into reverse. Kind of jolt of movement and then it moves. Eventually after about 2 minutes of being running it accelerated normal. To be honest I got so many other problems with this van, I dont even care anymore, just wondering if its something I Can put off or am I doing more harm than good.

Some other facts: I've have a coolant leak that I can not find. I am getting that fixed Friday. I assume the coolant leak is the water pump but could be something else. Oil cooler etc... (see the other thread)

The Transmission was working great for past 1000k miles. Prior to that I had some work done. The fluid level was fine last check, cant really check now because of coolant leak. I've read that this can happen when its cold?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

Yes to when cold, what I think is happening is your torque converter needs for the atf to warm some in order to build up enough pressure to engage. Just let it warm up for a few minutes and you should be fine.

Definitely check to the level whenever you can.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

My GTA rebuilt auto trans started doing this after a couple years. They suggested changing the ATF before getting worried or doing anything more drastic. The ATF change fixed it.

I would start with that.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

It can happen when cold, but it shouldn't.

With auto trans problems, start by changing the oil.
Sadly, one drain and fill doesn't do the complete job. So much oil is held in various nooks and crannies as well as the torque convertor that it will take about three changes before you have mostly new oil in there.
Run it until warm after each change.

Some shops have oil changer machines to fully exchange the transmission oil.

I don't use shops so I just do multiple oil changes. IMHO a few extra qts of oil is FAR cheaper than paying a shop.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

Mine was a little grabby in reverse first thing in the morning backing up a slight slope. Replacing the almost original CV joints fixed it. They had some pitting but not much, enough to lock them up a bit, I guess.
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

My 30 years with this car has taught me that depending on where the engine stops at, the torque converter will drain down over time. It will take upwards of 5 or more seconds for it to pump up and start working properly. Does not matter whether it is 9 or 90 degrees. One day or one week. It is just what happens. When I go to back out of the garage and it chooses not to go on a particular day, I just let it idle until it starts moving on it's own then it's ready to go. No big deal. I got 5 seconds to wait.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

Classic low ATF symptom. The torque converter is draining so there is no coupling onstartip, after a few minutes of running it fills and then drives normally
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Classic low ATF symptom. The torque converter is draining so there is no coupling onstartip, after a few minutes of running it fills and then drives normally

Yes, it sounds like low ATF. Check when warm.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Brownj Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

I had the same issue on my 87. Put in gear when cold and no movement but after a minute or so would work ok. Searching through this forum I found a number of posts recommending Ford Type F atf to fix. I changed mine and the problem went away. This was about 15K miles ago.
depps74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

UPDATE: problem fixed! topped off fluid and let it run for a minute. No problems.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

depps74 wrote:
UPDATE: problem fixed! topped off fluid and let it run for a minute. No problems.

Now get it on the highway , warmed up, then bring it back and dump,the excess you put in.

Laughing

Seriously, you have to get this right. Follow the manual procedure
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
depps74 wrote:

Now get it on the highway , warmed up, then bring it back and dump,the excess you put in.

Laughing

Seriously, you have to get this right. Follow the manual procedure

You need to find out where the ATF went to.
Transmissions do not burn oil like an engine does.

Two possibilities.......

External leak.

Internal leak into differential

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
depps74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

There is no external leak that I can see. Perhaps internal, before I degreased it the differential was dripping. That drip is gone now though.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission on my 1990 multivan not engaging on start Reply with quote

If you are losing ATF and it isn't leaking out......

You MUST check the differential oil level NOW!

ATF in the differential will destroy it.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: