Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Cheap" "VW Cabrio 2.0" Starter Whirring Noise? (ABA conversion)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: "Cheap" "VW Cabrio 2.0" Starter Whirring Noise? (ABA conversion) Reply with quote

Hi all.

This "new" starter:

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-SBO0056-Volkswagen-95VW-11000-CB/dp/B007Y85POW

on a Karl Mullendor adaptor plate on a low mile ABA engine conversion has worked flawlessly but....

I recently accidentally ground the starter on flywheel as engine started. Rolling Eyes Now, engine cold, as starter is released from flywheel (engine starts), I sometimes hear a whirring noise that sounds like a seat belt retractor sometimes makes.

If a part on starter was damaged, could it make that "whirring" noise?

It's remotely possible the noise is from my oil pump but i really doubt it. (first cold start it makes a much different whirring noise at first cold start as the gears fill with oil).

And yes I'll try starting van without my seat belt on. Wink

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" "VW Cabrio 2.0" Starter Whirring Noise? (ABA conversion) Reply with quote

on cold starts sometimes the grease in solenoid gets stiff and keeps the solenoid engaged. which has the contacts that keeps the starter powered..
so you may need to R&R the starter to update the grease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" "VW Cabrio 2.0" Starter Whirring Noise? (ABA conversion) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
on cold starts sometimes the grease in solenoid gets stiff and keeps the solenoid engaged. which has the contacts that keeps the starter powered..
so you may need to R&R the starter to update the grease.

Yes.

My 85 is doing exactly that. I'm going to take apart the solenoid, remove the grease & wipe it with light oil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" "VW Cabrio 2.0" Starter Whirring Noise? (ABA conversion) Reply with quote

Thanks for those tips guys.

I'm speaking somewhat ignorantly here, especially if this is a gear reduction type starter, (not familiar with those) but if mis use of this starter caused damage to the pinion and-or shaft it spins on which in turn is causing noise, I'm now concerned the pinion might jam or snap off while it turns the engine. That would be a crap fest.

At ~ $80 USD I don't expect metal quality metal in this part. But....

The same model starter has worked flawlessly in my other ABA for quite a few miles over several years.

It's a bit warmer out today but I'll try to capture audio of the noise.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: