Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

In lieu of our usual long summer road trip, circumstances dictate that we do it differently this year. In that spirit, we took four days to do a little loop around Colorado to some spots where we hadn't been before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With three inflatable SUP's, and inflatable kayak, life vests, paddles, etc., this is how I packed it up for this trip. I'm always interested to see how people carry their crap so I thought I'd share.

Cabinet, fridge, camp kitchen

Lifevest/paddle/accessory bag secured under the new upstairs net

Boards paddles, chairs in the back.

Instead of pointlessly washing a van called Pigpen before the trip, I've found that giving the windows a good shine is enough.

We made a quick stop before Buena Vista to stretch our legs after an hour-long construction traffic jam.

Masks for safety when using public restrooms--the girls take it very seriously.

We made it down to Curecanti Nat'l Rec Area without issue; we had reservations (required) at Stevens Creek CG. The site was more than a little bit exposed and while it was right on the water, the rocky shore would have made it treacherous to launch the boards.

We made dinner and had a mellow, quiet evening under the stars.

It's worth noting that my kids are basically adults now and our van sleeping arrangement has evolved:
Elder daughter up top, younger daughter in the fully-reclined Eurovan passengers seat, mom and dad in the back. And now that elder daughter has begun the sad but inevitable process of going on camping trips with her friends instead of us, this setup was only temporary.

The next morning we had breakfast and decided to do a day trip to a different section of the shore for paddle boarding.

Breakfast of Champions. Oddly enough, I found that fabulous LSU cup on a Wal Mart clearance shelf in Kalispell, MT last summer.

We found a perfect spot out of the wind (at the time) just a few miles down from our campsite.

I must again give some love to the Viair portable compressor. Ten minutes inflation time per board, which is immeasurably better than the back-breaker push pumps.

Carmine, ready for the sea.

After the morning session, the wind kicked up. I had the awning set up with legs staked down and hammered into the rocky dirt. The guy lines were firmly wrapped around big stones. The wind gusts were strong, but not any stronger than any other time I've had the awning out.

Sitting underneath the awning, I saw one of the velcro fasteners along the side rip open.

I said, "I've never seen that happen before..." and as I got out of my chair to refasten, the other three velcro strips on the windy side ripped loose and the awning went skyward!

Everybody was safely out of the way when it came back down. One of the arms and one of the legs were bent beyond repair. It was just a crazy wind gust in exactly the right spot, enough to move those big stones, and it rendered the once mighty ARB awning useless. I removed the two bad appendages and we rolled it up.

Sitting in the blazing desert sun next to the water isn't nearly as much fun without an awning, so we after a bit more paddling, we packed up and left.

Carmine was able to find a shady spot, though.

In case you're wondering, the Keystone can in that last picture was there when we arrived. I did the right thing and packed it out. Smile

More to come.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tims490
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Nice rig, I see the appeal of a high top.

Man, you fit a lot in that van. Four people, dog and gear all around. I think its tight with just the wife and I.

I've always wanted to fish the Fryingpan River outside Snowmass. Maybe some day.

My buddy had the wind sweep up his awning like that. Tore chunks off his rain gutter. Not good at all. Hope those legs are replaceable.

Love the trip reports, keep 'em coming.

Tim
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Call us soft, but upon returning to our exposed desert campsite with a non-functioning awning, we made the collective decision to seek higher ground. We headed west down to the end of the reservoir then north up Soap Creek Road, a steep gravel climb into the mountains. It was on this drive that I noticed that Pigpen, while running really smoothly, had developed a small hot stall issue and just didn't seem to have its normal power. But it wasn't overheating or anything, so we pressed on.

Soap Creek campground is quintessential Colorado. Loud, rocky stream, tall pines, and rocky canyon outcroppings. What a cool spot. I could have stayed there for a week. And for those who dislike organized campgrounds, there was plenty of National Forest dispersed camping along the route.

Werebear sighting

Why we left this spot the next morning I don't recall, but I wish we hadn't.

After a big breakfast and a full inspection of the motor that revealed nothing out of whack, we packed up and drove west to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. There's a good 18 mile, 2000 ft. climb to get to the south entrance gate, and the van was struggling. Like 1.9 power (no offense.) It was getting hot, but not hot enough to be alarmed about; it just didn't have any go. I was stumped.

By the time we got to the top, the accelerator started sticking. It wouldn't spring back. I pulled over right after the gate to take a look and couldn't find anything amiss. I sprayed some lube down into the connections under the floor but couldn't really think of anything else to do. The lube helped; it was still a bit gummy but would rebound after working it a bit.

Black Canyon is a pretty spectacular place. One can drive to the bottom on a harrowing switchback road, but with the accelerator acting weird, I thought that it would a very bad idea to attempt it. So, we cruised around the rim.

Imagine my surprise when we got to the end of the road and realized that it was the end of the road. I could have sworn it went all the way through, north to the Gunnision Nat'l forest, but I was wrong. We had to double back down, through Montrose then up Highway 50 to Delta before turning east and back into wilderness.

Looking for campsites on the Gunnison River, we took a desert jeep trail and banged around on the rocks awhile.

The ambient temp was around 110. The van was not overheating, but it was running hotter than normal and still had very little power. The accelerator was okay, but I was stressed out. The van was doing great handling the trails, though.

Cruising along the river, a gentleman walked up and offered us some space next to his campsite in a cool little grove of cottonwoods right on the riverbank. We were about to accept when my daughters noticed the confederate flag flying over his camp. Nope. Non-negotiable.

It was getting late in the day and we could not find a viable campsite no matter how far down the river we bounced.

Finally, we decided to exit the desert and head north to Grand Mesa. It would be nice and cool up there with plenty of camping, both in campgrounds and dispersed we hoped.

The climb up to the mesa, which is 10,000 feet up, was brutal. The van just didn't have its stuff. Driving up the big hill, my wife said, "do you smell gas?"

I stopped the van at a turnout and said "everybody OUT." My wife and I grabbed our extinguishers from under our feet and jumped out.

I knew immediately what was up; the tank wasn't venting and gas was pouring out of top of the fill hose. This is a problem I had last summer due to a kinked hose on the charcoal cannister, but it was back. Easy enough. I slowly relieved pressure on the gas cap and the pressure whooshed out. We waited for the spilled fuel to evaporate, left the cap off, and kept going.

We made it to the Mesa and found a great spot for the night. Too many mosquitos, crying kids, and ATV's, but good enough. I was beat.

Going over the van in a cloud of mosquitoes the next morning, I could not figure out the power issue; however, the accelerator problem revealed itself after inspecting the whole cable front-to-back.

The sheathing had melted and was gumming up the cable in the engine compartment. WTF? The van has been in much hotter climes than it faced the day before and it never had gotten hot enough to melt the cable.

I lubed the cable with Slick50 spray as best I could, wrapped some high-heat safety tape around the damaged part, and greased every moving-parts section with Accrolube. That did the trick. But now I'm realizing that all of this is related. No power, hot stalls, and VERY hot exhaust manifold, hot enough to melt the accelerator cable, am I running lean? I checked everything I could think of. Plug wires looked good and connected, coil wire is connected, vacuum lines, intake, fuel lines...I couldn't figure it out.

We spent a bit of the morning exploring a section of Grand Mesa then decided to pack it in and head back to Denver. The van was giving me fits.

I made the top of Vail Pass at 25 MPH. Eisenhower tunnel, about 30 MPH. The motor was screaming. I didn't think we were going to make it over.

I wondered if we'd just outgrown it. About the time some douchebag blew past me on the approach to the tunnel in his $175k Sprinter Revel with a poodle riding in his lap, I considered that maybe there's too much gear and weight and maybe it's just over.

...but after a half hour of sober contemplation and as we were coming down the hills in Genessee, I looked over and said to my wife, "f*ck that. It's not over. It's just not running right. I'll fix it."

We made it home and after unpacking and letting it cool down, I went back through everything I could think of. I checked the coil wire again, this time pulling it off. This is what I found:

The coil wire was BROKEN at the connection to the cap. I guess I hadn't checked closely enough in the mountains; I'd just made sure it was snug on there.

The coil connection on the cap itself (hard to see in this weird photo) was burned to a crisp and crumbled to dust when I got the cap off.

That would explain it--very weak spark. Beautiful idle and absolutely no power.

I had a spare cap, rotor, and coil wire in my home stash (which should have been in my road stash.) Replaced it all, started it up.

Runs like a champ. Smile

One thing we learned about this trip is that being too close to home makes it too easy to bail. If we were thousands of miles from home, we wouldn't have quit! It was great to get out, though.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the interesting story.
Great pics!
Way to teach the kids to overcome adversity by keep on trying.
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the technical challenges but gorgeous scenery all around. Can't imagine doing the Eisenhower tunnel with such a fully loaded van with a broken coil cable. The advantage of being close is that you can go back soon!

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Great story, as always, Joe. Thanks for bringing us along.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Man u had me stressed out there. 30mph at the Eisenhower. BTDT. Calgon, take me away!!
Your little story triggers some ptsd. Its always hindsite but more than once I have had some similar experience and had I just had a little more time and my wits about me, I would have seen that "wire". Instead I pressed on w an engine at 220 and no friggin juevos. Oh I feel your pain.

Glad you made it home sans flat bed. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.

Last edited by AZ Landshaper on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun trip! Glad to hear you got out.

A few years ago we had a storm surprise us with similar results to the awning. I stake down the awning nearly every time now. ARB awning parts are surprisingly reasonably priced ($12 for an arm). I've found them locally at Mule Expedition Outfitters and also from GW and VC.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/awnings-screen-rooms/25071/arb-awning-arm?v=
https://www.vancafe.com/ARB815227-p/arb815227.htm

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Thanks folks! The funny thing about that trip is that it had all of the elements of one of our much longer trips, just compressed into a few days. I was exhausted when we got home.

Jim that picture is exactly what my awning looked like when it came down. I tried to bend the poles back into shape but it wasn't happening. I probably could have re-used them in a pinch, carried seperately, but I was able to find replacements online for around $20/each.

Now I'm ready to get back out there. Smile So very grateful to have the Rockies in our back yard.

The fuel venting issue has me a bit stumped. I think today I'll dig into that recent thread on the subject.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about the van troubles but glad you figured it out. I am soooo jealous of your short trip as we were supposed to leave for Colorado on Saturday for two weeks. Instead we are staying in Oregon and western Idaho for our summer trip. Still lot's to see and do but I was looking forward to Mesa Verde and the million dollar highway. Next year I guess!
Nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Thanks for the ride along. Glad it was not that hot here. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Great report. Despite your travails, still made me long for a trip out west in my van.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

packed bus and good times that include resolving issues on the road. that is a great trip. good memories and tales to tell.

thanks for sharing.

BiWerks Design, LLC
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Sounds like a great adventure. Anyone can buy (or rent) a new Sprinter and do the same trip, but where's the fun in that? It takes a lot of confidence (and guts) to venture out in a 30+ year old vehicle, but it's way more enjoyable in something you built with your own hands. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

Last summer, I drove a 50 year old car solo from coast to coast. I broke down 3 times. Did it suck, yes it did, especially when I got locked out of the car trying to fix a major fuel leak in New Mexico (note to self: keep a spare key in wallet). And I did this with a broken foot. Looking back, it was a great trip. I met some cool people along the way, drove through some beautiful country in Kansas (I followed Waze the entire way, and I set it to avoid interstates). In a sense, I was flying blind and completely trusting my cell phone. I was able to forget about all the BS at work and other things that I thought were important.

I understand now why people like to take cross county trips on motorcycles. It scratches our need to take a risk in life.

Somewhere in Arizona, looking for the beef jerky I bought a few states ago...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/20190928...1592501062
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Somewhere in Arizona, looking for the beef jerky I bought a few states ago...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/20190928...1592501062

That's a perfect summer cross-country car. I'd like to do the same in my antique V8 at some point when I have more confidence in it and knowledge of it.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Great Adventure!!!

I can relate. Last summer I drove my Westy from Salt Lake City on a similar loop of Colorado. Slumgullion Pass to Creede, Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs and Durango, Molas Pass to the Million Dollar Highway and Ouray, then up to Grand Mesa and then back home. Great place to spend time.
forting
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

I love this post and appreciate the insight on the spots! I need to put this on my list for when I get my van. Very Happy
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

forting wrote:
I love this post and appreciate the insight on the spots! I need to put this on my list for when I get my van. Very Happy

Hi forting, welcome to the Samba! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I will admit, reading through it just now, I re-lived that climb to the tunnel. I was so frustrated.

I still don't believe I've fully solved the hot manifold issue with my van, either. I've fixed a lot of symptoms, but it still feels like it could run better.

Please post an introduction thread when you get your van!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

Joe those are some great pictures! Makes me miss Colorado. I used to do almost that exact same loop when I lived in Leadville. Thanks for sharing.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini-Trip Report--Colorado Loop Reply with quote

missed this one! great trip report!

Nothing like realizing something is wrong, stressing a bit, and then trying to keep it to yourself so your passengers don't get worried. Running through every possible scenario about what could be wrong (definitely gonna need a new engine). Driving along with a heightened sense of hearing and touch, listening to every little noise and feeling new pulses in the chassis that weren't there before. Or maybe they were? Shocked

Joe, I came across one of your old trip reports the other day in the search. Your girls were much younger. It was one I hadn't read before because it was before I started browsing this forum. I really enjoy your trip reports. Thanks again for sharing. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: