Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveyg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

We have a 74 Bay and need new door panels and seat covers and looking for the best OEM setup. Hard to tell online how on or off the available products are.

Any suggestions?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

my understanding is that Sewfine does the best work. TMI is generic inexpensive original.

TMI

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

I received and installed some TMI door panels a few weeks ago, WW had them in stock. Pretty good copy of OEM, all clip holes and other cut outs were spot on where they are supposed to be. Only difference I could tell is the horizontal lines end before the bottom and the panel is smooth, whereas the OG’s lines continue to the bottom. WW inserts and clips were also used and worked like they should.

Mine were ruined from moisture from disintegrated vapor barriers. I’d read several threads on the barrier “flap” that gets tucked in to keep water out of the bus, and found the easiest way to reproduce that for me was to cut the plastic while still folded over from the roll, allowing a backside that could be tucked into the door.

These are TMI seat covers as well, although they are many years older.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

Get Sewfine. They’re clearly superior. They also stand behind their products. One of the best experiences I’ve had dealing with vendors.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

+1 here for Sewfine. Also agreed that they are a great company to work with, I had questions and called, and my questions were answered. Super high quality and fit very well.

I purchased the seat covers, foam, and a replacement seat cap (it's an early bay thing), pretty much everything I needed.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

Sewfine did my front seats, came out nice, they even have a rear setback pocket option.

- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

Have any of you bay bus-lings tried a headliner from these guys?

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/

A couple years ago a type 4 car owner posted that he had gotten a stock headliner kit from these guys and the materials, fit and finish was superb. I was stunned to hear this because I have never in ky life seen type 4 headliners offered and they are complex and very specific.

Turns out with a little research that Acme over numerous decades has acquired blueprints for headliners crom virtually every model and mfg.

Here is their solid roof bus listing page....1955 to 1990

It would be interestjng to hear any opinions from the bus-lings. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

mine was TMI and I had it professionally installed. I used ACME tops many years ago in the Fiat 124 spider, and they were identical to the factory top - lasted as well or better. That was a long time ago but they have been around since the late 1940's.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best OEM Interior aftermarket parts Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
mine was TMI and I had it professionally installed. I used ACME tops many years ago in the Fiat 124 spider, and they were identical to the factory top - lasted as well or better. That was a long time ago but they have been around since the late 1940's.

Yes....I can vouch for TMI quality of at least one product I have used. I replaced the entire top n my 90 model cabrio and it was an excellently made kit.

It appears there are a handful of places that sell headliners and they are basically Acme dealers. I googled the part # from Acme of my liner and t came up available from a few places ...same part #. They have gotten good reviews in a lot of places....but always looking for someone else opinions I trust!

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: