Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

alternator voltage regulator
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mserino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

Where can I find one of these or even a part number. It was on my 1970 transporter 1600 alternator. This style is removable and I think it has gone bad. It would be an easier fix than replacing the alternator which will be a pain to remove. It looks like the regulator and brush holder are all in one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

no real way to know unless you post the model of your alternator
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

No expert on Type 1 alternators, but this should probably cover you, though they seem quite expensive, more than I paid for a new generator and regulator combined.

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?cid=&s...ort=item_d
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

I think that is a replacement unit for an externally regulated Motorola alternator (73-74 style Beetle/Ghia). Dealer upgrade kit to internal regulator. Put a WTB ad up, I'm sure there are plenty gathering dust. Those are good alternators BTW
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

If you have a locally electrical rebuild shop, sometimes they still have one on the shelf or may have a source. Doesnt hurt to try and through "non VW" source could be cheaper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

I may be mis-remembering.....but I think those are expensive because they are no longer made.

I cannot remember if the discontinued regulator/brush assembly is the Bosch model or the Motorola model...or both. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

Worth the effort when compared to the total garbage Chinese units that last 2-5K miles. Soon our ACVW's will look like the Brazilian versions with GM alternators hanging off the side.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

That Motorola part lacks the brushes. Maybe there are two parts there IF, and it is a big if, it is a Motorola alternator and not a repop copy.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1879778
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

That looks like the the Motorola regulator/brush assembly I had on my 71 Westy. Some scumbag stole mine off the bus while parked at the Westminster Mall where my wife worked at the time. Couldn’t find another one and ended up swapping it out for a Bosch alternator.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

That looks like the right part, the brushes clip into the regulator unit. The externally regulated Bosch units don't have an easy access and are square plastic, the Motorola have a "T" shaped area.

Price seems fair for a NOS "Autobahn" unit ( damn it, now I'll have to watch the Big Lebowski). The brushes still looked good.
mserino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's I found out it is a pn 043903803e motorola 5-762. There is a replacement # m5762 for $50 at quick start it might by Chinese . Autohaus has one for $150
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

and a genuine VW one here for $100.
mserino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

Replaced regulator but still not charging. Can I pull the alternator on a bus without lifting the doghouse ? I had a hard time getting it to fit while it was on an engine stand. I don't think I could get to go back if I lift it and there is no way to reach around the back to remove fan nut.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator voltage regulator Reply with quote

That is why you do this

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: