Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix or Magna Spark
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

In my humble opinion:

Yep, there are some salty guys on here. Yep, providing a link to use the 'Search' function may not have been helpful. But most of us have been on this planet for nearly 50 years, spanning when aircooled VWs were the mainstay of transportation. As many have their own opinions of what works and what doesn't, they've just about seen it all in regards to solutions to problems such as yours. To top it off, most of us have some pretty thick skin and our way of dealing with a pretty commonly seen subject is to be pretty snarky. I'm not saying it's right or to justify perceived behavior behind a keyboard.

On the same token, we're all just trying to provide you the right answer; not the answer you want to necessarily hear. After you received the most likely culprit of your starting issue, you still asked for input on replacing a part that you thought was the problem (which probably isn't). That seemed to send some mixed signals. Were you wanting to replace your distributor for other reasons? Were you not accepting the diagnosis from those that have worked on VWs for decades? I honestly don't know. But I think if you took a step back and walked in other members' shoes that have responded for a minute, you might see why there was a little flak sent back at you. Again, I'm not saying there was no wrongdoing on either party.

Bottom line: Separate the wheat from the chaff. Those that are digging under your skin are also providing solid advice whether you asked for it or not. Acknowledge that instead of how you feel you're treated. Discuss why you have that exhaust and the rocker ratio. Tell us the purpose of your setup and what you should do to correct it, if it needs correcting. They're offering their opinions so you're not going to be sorry in the long run on having to prematurely tear down your engine, not to be self righteous and pick on you.

Whatever the case, I agree with the lack of fuel in the float bowl and modify your startup procedure before changing parts. If you want another distributor just to have another one, I'm old school. I prefer staying away from the electronic stuff. I just bought a restored 010 from Glenn for my 2110cc.

Take my advice for what it's worth. If you weigh others' opinions based on post count, then don't listen to me. But we are all here to help each other. I hope you eventually see that if nothing else.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

Skidmark 1 wrote:
Thanks for all the useful information, I will stick with the VW engine and NOT a Subaru as that is what I like, ok I was as someone put it at fault for making sure the float bowls were not full before trying to start, as for the distributor I was trying to get info on which might be the best after market to go for as I have been told the Accuspark can let you down as not always reliable.
This is my first post on this site and already I find there are some very opinionated people and as for you "after sales support" stick it where the sun don't shine if this is the type of reply you get when asking for some advice from a redound VW site!!

Yes some can be a bit hash but the advice you get overall is good, just sometimes in disguise!

Be patient and don’t read bad things into every comment and let any crap float away what remains is the advice you want, need and should pay attention to.
Tom snowden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

Bravo Shane!!, well said. Or should I say written?
Skidmark 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

The reason that I was enquiring about a different distributer set up was to find out if some of the starting issues might have been down to poor spark when turning over and if anyone had come across this situation, I have seen a video showing how well the Magna spark 2 produces a good spark at low rpm as it uses a coil pack and not a standard coil.

I accept the fact that I had not thought about the fuel levels in the float bowls being low after being stood for a week and not allowing the electronic fuel pump to fill them up before attempting to start, if using a mechanical fuel pump would it not take more cranking over to fill the bowls prior to starting.

I know there are keyboard warriors on all sites that love to put in their comments to see what comments they can get from their sometimes off the topic answers, to these people I usually say if you don't have anything useful to say the don't comment.
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

When I was into the daily life of VWs (80s-90s), a Bosch 009, Bosch wires, and Blue Coil, was THE setup for street use. We were kicking 010 distributors to the curb. I never had a spark issue with said setup.

Fast forward to now: Seems like new 009s are all from China, now, and has tainted the original 009 reputation. Many have gone back to the 010. Why? My take is there was never anything wrong with the 010. I was recently educated on the solid attributes of its performance. That's why I dumped almost $500 into having one restored....with points, condenser, etc. instead of going electronic. If you're looking for tried and true, go back to what has worked since almost the very beginning of the Beetle's existence.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

Shane Tuttle wrote:
When I was into the daily life of VWs (80s-90s), a Bosch 009, Bosch wires, and Blue Coil, was THE setup for street use. We were kicking 010 distributors to the curb. I never had a spark issue with said setup.

Fast forward to now: Seems like new 009s are all from China, now, and has tainted the original 009 reputation. Many have gone back to the 010. Why? My take is there was never anything wrong with the 010. I was recently educated on the solid attributes of its performance. That's why I dumped almost $500 into having one restored....with points, condenser, etc. instead of going electronic. If you're looking for tried and true, go back to what has worked since almost the very beginning of the Beetle's existence.

^^^ Bingo!^^^

Yes a mechanical pump would need the starter to grind away for a while to fill the float bowls but the float bowls should not be empty. If they were boiling dry from heat soak then your starting problem would happen every time you tried to start it. It's not so the only other way is a slow fuel leak. You should see or smell that unless is is siphoning down into the intake in which case again it would be flooded and hard to restart right away but better after a week.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

Shane Tuttle wrote:

Back in the 80s-90s, Bosch 010s were 25 years old and you could buy a new Bosch 009 for $40, so people put a 009 in. That was also the "golden age" of VW magazines and all the vendors that bought 2 page color ads only sold new parts so the 009 was what they listed and of course the magazines were there to help them sell so the 009 was the only option reviewed by them.

Just like it was cheaper to put a Brsol H30/31PICT rather than rebuilding the original Solex 30PICT-x.

VW owners have a well earned reputation for always taking the cheapest option.

When the 009 lost it's cache, it then went to the "SVDA" as the one size fits all. Now we all know that all aftermarket distributors are made in China with less than original German quality. And some owners have realized that a properly rebuild original German Bosch is the way to go and worth paying 2-3 times more than new Chinese.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

Did you ever get your hard starting problem sorted out?

I thought of you yesterday. My Manx clone has been in the hay shed since the last week of August and I needed to move it to get the sand rail out. I must confess that I forgot to take the battery out and bring it inside for storage/charging and I never use fuel stabilizer - so will it start? It's been between -18 and -26 for 2 weeks now, yesterday was a high of -14.

Turned the key on to let the electric pump top up the carbs, reached in and pushed the gas peddle down 3 times to prime the engine, pulled the chokes on and hit the starter. It turned over about 6 turns and was running. That was without getting in the car and gas that some here would say is too stale to be useable.

That is how an air cooled VW with dual Webers starts in the dead of winter after sitting for 5 months.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix or Magna Spark Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Did you ever get your hard starting problem sorted out?

I thought of you yesterday. My Manx clone has been in the hay shed since the last week of August and I needed to move it to get the sand rail out. I must confess that I forgot to take the battery out and bring it inside for storage/charging and I never use fuel stabilizer - so will it start? It's been between -18 and -26 for 2 weeks now, yesterday was a high of -14.

Turned the key on to let the electric pump top up the carbs, reached in and pushed the gas peddle down 3 times to prime the engine, pulled the chokes on and hit the starter. It turned over about 6 turns and was running. That was without getting in the car and gas that some here would say is too stale to be useable.

That is how an air cooled VW with dual Webers starts in the dead of winter after sitting for 5 months.

Looks like you're trying to piss off someone? Laughing

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: