Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

nitrous ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: nitrous ? Reply with quote

im just wondering if or how many of you have nitrous on your vw? especially if you run a boosted vw..
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Maybe at the dentist

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

https://motoiq.com/so-you-want-to-use-nitrous-oxide-without-blowing-up-your-engine/
It seems N2O is more suitable for fuel injection systems?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Wet nitrous on a progressive controller is a huge amount safer than a dry shot on a button.
As Jeffrey says, with efi is the way to go. Take the human element out of it. Only squirt at certain RPM and throttle conditions with open loop lambda control.
I had it on a ford a few years ago... Not an old VW though.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Have a friend that had a 'dry system' on a bug back in High school, blew up a motor Every Weekend Shocked Laughing ,, motors were $50 a pop from the boneyards Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

I read something the other day about how a shot of nitrous causes the turbo to spool quicker.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

I don't have it yet, but I'm planning to add it at some point. Probably the smallest shot i can get. Mostly just for the cool factor. A decent boosted engine is already really too fast for the street already. Might be fun just in case a McLaren happens to start getting around you.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I read something the other day about how a shot of nitrous causes the turbo to spool quicker.

It's used before the boost comes in, so in effect there is less lag. Also, cools the intake charge massively.
Anyone running no2 without efi has a screw loose though imo Laughing
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

not really needed if the turbo combo is set up right , it won't have any 'Lag' Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

But would allow you to run a larger turbo for more top end power without the low end suffering in those times you really need it. All depends on the application.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Ive known some to run no2 to the turbo to spin it up. I would not run dry system unless you have a way to enrich it.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

N2O is non-flammable alone. It is richer in oxygen than oxygen, so it allows the burning of additional fuel. That is where the power comes from. So it seems to me if a 'dry shot' improved your power, you were already running rich.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

why are we on a dry vs. wet and not unless its efi debate?

as far as spooling the turbo, ive read that too, but then again so does a 2step. i bet it would help if you were running a large turbo for top end and wanted a little grunt off the line without launching at 6k?
i once talked to a guy that i think ran pikes peak or maybe it was another race, my memory isnt my best friend.. but he used compressed air injected into the exhaust pre turbo to spool it faster, said it worked great.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

How bout efi, 2 step, nitrous, and compressed air?!
I also have heard compressed air works really well for spool.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
N2O is non-flammable alone. It is richer in oxygen than oxygen, so it allows the burning of additional fuel.
Think I don't think so. A gas made of Nitrogen and Oxygen can't be richer in Oxygen than pure Oxygen. I think you meant it's richer in Oxygen than air. Smile

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. However, because oxygen is so bulky, what people use instead is nitrous oxide. In the engine, nitrous oxide turns into nitrogen and oxygen, and it's the oxygen that people are after. Nitrous oxide easily liquefies under pressure, so you can store a lot more of it in a bottle than you can gaseous oxygen, which does not liquefy.
Also, although non-flammable by itself, oxygen will feed an already fueled fire and could result in an explosion.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

thus ,it's sometimes used to spool up turbo.it has pressure and...when thrown in that hot exhaust....it does what? many also use to to chill the inner cooler.and some even use it to get a smile while pulling teeth. it has many uses.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Yes, you're right. However, because oxygen is so bulky, what people use instead is nitrous oxide. In the engine, nitrous oxide turns into nitrogen and oxygen, and it's the oxygen that people are after. Nitrous oxide easily liquefies under pressure, so you can store a lot more of it in a bottle than you can gaseous oxygen, which does not liquefy.
Also, although non-flammable by itself, oxygen will feed an already fueled fire and could result in an explosion.

Are you sure?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_oxygen
Now I wouldn't want to carry a 180ltr Dewar of LOX in my car. It would be rather slow. But it wouldn't run out of LOX for quite a few days. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

I guess there is a reason people don't inject oxygen. N2O is pretty popular though.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: nitrous ? Reply with quote

so aside from theories, wet vs. dry, oxygen vs. nitrous, etc etc... what about real life experience? i think bugguy said he wanted to run a small shot? anyone run a 50 or 75 ( which is still kinda big for a vw really )?
it kinda seems like i used to see more nitrous back in the 90's than i do now, and now allot of ppl have gotten on the turbo bandwagon. not to derail the thread but after saying that about turbos being popular these days, i wonder what the next thing to become popular will be? seems like were running out of ways to expand on the ol combustion engine? will they finally get the electric car thing down and ppl will be doing conversions?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: