Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex clones
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Solex clones Reply with quote

I saw on Ebay today a pair of "new" Solex P11-40 carbs that I assumed were Chinese clones. There were no words or numbers embossed in the casting. There were also some adapters being sold to fit them to IDF manifolds. I was just curious if anybody has any experience with them. They were going for $555
for a pair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Go to cip1.com and look under Porsche parts and they have Empi HPMX 40 and 44 complete kits for about that price brand new.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't intend to give the impression that I needed carbs. A friend of mine took his P11s to a very experienced European carb rebuilder who proceeded to break the casting around the pump passage from the bowl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

So is he looking for some P-11's to rebuild or did he make the rebuilders replace the one they broke?
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

He's tempted to try the ones on Ebay. He's not a member here but I suspect he's lurked here. I'm trying to get some feedback on the clones but Im beginning to think nobody has any knowledge of them.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

I've found most carbs from China don't compare to the real thing because Quality Control is a foreign word to them and they are using old worn out molds and strange materials to make the clones. First thing to do with them is to take them apart and clean out the chips and inspect them.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
I've found most carbs from China don't compare to the real thing because Quality Control is a foreign word to them and they are using old worn out molds and strange materials to make the clones. First thing to do with them is to take them apart and clean out the chips and inspect them.

Do you have any personal experience with the P11 clones I'm asking about?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

No I have no hands on experience but the site doesn't say they are from China so maybe contact the seller to find out where they are made.
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
No I have no hands on experience but the site doesn't say they are from China so maybe contact the seller to find out where they are made.

This link shows them being sold out of China but it doesn't say where they are made:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carburetor-For-Porsch...SwubRf~FH1

If you put 2 and 2 together you could safely assume they are also made there.

However, Brad Ripley (who was Chuck Stoddard's parts manager then later was the parts director for PCNA and for the last 30 years has had his 356 parts company NLA parts - now merged with Stoddard) once told me that parts made in China should not be immediately written off. He said that they will make whatever you ask them to make exactly how you ask them, exactly to your spec. If you give them quality specs it will be a quality part, but if you give them low quality specs it will be an inferior part. Obviously there are a lot of bad Chinese parts but it is more due to what specs they are given rather than them just going rogue and making bad parts all the time.

That said, I would not want to be one of the first people to give these a try. They COULD be fine, but without knowing their background or having some long term performance data it's a crapshoot I would not be willing to take.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

To assume the specs were spelled out in a blueprint could be a mistake in the case of famous carburetors. Wouldn't it be easier to just say, " Here, take this carb and make me another just like it". Maybe thats an oversimplification though. I really have no idea how that would work. But if China can make World Destroying Nuclear Weapons, they would have the ability to train engineers and technicians capable of quality carburetors. They do seem to be a little slow catching on to our marketing techniques. What am I trying to say?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
To assume the specs were spelled out in a blueprint could be a mistake in the case of famous carburetors. Wouldn't it be easier to just say, " Here, take this carb and make me another just like it". Maybe thats an oversimplification though. I really have no idea how that would work. But if China can make World Destroying Nuclear Weapons, they would have the ability to train engineers and technicians capable of quality carburetors. They do seem to be a little slow catching on to our marketing techniques. What am I trying to say?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but the problem is a quality mold would not be cost effective in this day of fuel injection. The market is way to small, so we get uninspected cheap parts made from wore out molds.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

You may well be right Star, we're likely to find out before too long as my pal pulled the trigger for a pair. Hard to say just when with the current state of affairs at USPS! Rolling Eyes
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001776083572.h...web201603_

Same on Aliexpress shipped from the US as option. Some spar parts might turn up good one can hope, as the float.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001776083572.h...web201603_

Same on Aliexpress shipped from the US as option. Some spar parts might turn up good one can hope, as the float.

Could prove to be handy info at some point, thanks!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

If you are a concour aspirant then you will have to spend double that to have your old flogged out originals rebuilt.
That is one hell of a deal.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

I didn't say they were "flogged out". I said the casting was broken between the accellerator pump and the bowl. I don't know any method of repairing that.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

I have TIG welded zinc die cast when my eyes where much younger. It is possible, but the puddle has no "Cling".

Roland
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
I didn't say they were "flogged out". I said the casting was broken between the accellerator pump and the bowl. I don't know any method of repairing that.

I was speaking in general.
Believe me,if they haven’t been rebuilt, meaning bases planed, throttle bores machined, throttle shafts rebushed...they are flogged. They will have vacuum leaks and will never idle right and will be impossible to synchronize and tune.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

My friend with the set of p 11 clones reports the carbs he bought are without flaws after a good cleaning and work perfectly. He's got the motor for sale now. I wish he had finished it last year before I put $5k into my VW motor!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solex clones Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:

Muggy weld super alloy 1 it's the red one .may work for your friend 👇👇
https://www.muggyweld.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0caCBhCIA...F-EALw_wcB

On YouTube there are video on how to use it ..if I remember correctly i seen that a guy repaired a big hole on his carb which had a big hole in the bottom of the float bowl and it was repaired ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: