Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help ordering correct hot water heater parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

I spent all day trying to order the correct thermopile for my AO Smith 4 yr old hot water heater to no avail. My 4 yr old AO Smith hot water heater is model number GCR 30 400 and this video is perfect but now I'm not sure if it's only the thermopile (thermopile is for the newer units using electronics and requiring more current than a theromocoupler) or additional parts. Worst case senerio I order the entire water heater burner which contains everything but more money. I just want to figure what I need and get the correct part number and I'm frustrated. I fix all my own appliances and on a budget. Sold and repaired all plumbing for years so I have some experience. Tips and trick and of course knowledge appreciated.

I'm not happy that a 4 yr old hot water heater needs anything so yes I'm angry but I suppose we all need to eat.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Fixed it, I just watched this video and at the end he shows the thermocouple switch and if it pops back in like a breaker that will cause the electronic polite from starting. Yes on mine I was able to press back in like a breaker. Then I was able to get the pilot light to stay on and heat the water. Now I want to know why the thermocouple switch popped out as per this YouTube.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I'm good now.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Mine has a "filter" that wraps around the bottom to keep out the dust. The thermal would pop out every time my daughter took one of her 30 minute showers. Removed the filter and no more problems. 2 years now.
The thermo coupler is the only part available for mine, short of the entire burner/controler assy.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

That resettable switch is a thermo-disc. It trips if the combustion chamber overheats due to lack of air or blocked flue. Check under the water heater for lint plugging up the air intake, blow out with compressed air, make sure you have good draft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I spent all day trying to order the correct thermopile for my AO Smith 4 yr old hot water heater to no avail. My 4 yr old AO Smith hot water heater is model number GCR 30 400 and this video is perfect but now I'm not sure if it's only the thermopile (thermopile is for the newer units using electronics and requiring more current than a theromocoupler) or additional parts. Worst case senerio I order the entire water heater burner which contains everything but more money. I just want to figure what I need and get the correct part number and I'm frustrated. I fix all my own appliances and on a budget. Sold and repaired all plumbing for years so I have some experience. Tips and trick and of course knowledge appreciated.

I'm not happy that a 4 yr old hot water heater needs anything so yes I'm angry but I suppose we all need to eat.

Link

Check out repairclinic.com for parts and videos on appliance repair. I just had to replace the gas valve on my WH Christmas Eve Day and had to pony up for the whole kit at $230 from the local supply house, I did not want to wait a week for the for the $50 temp sensor in the valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Why would you need to heat hot water?

Water heater.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Room temperature water is quite hot, at least 459 Kelvin. Ergo , it’s a hot water heater

L - you might have one of the unique left hand thread thermocouples which are NLA on that AO Smith. You used to be able to get a workaround with a collar but. With people going to on demand , that option , too , is NLA

I’ve got a few stashed away from the decrepit rental units I used for widows and orphans. First/last and one summer of yacht fuel due on move in.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

You guys are very funny, yes "hot water heater" Laughing

Little update. Friday just before running out the door to school I took a shower and for a second I felt the hot water drop in temperature. I didn't think anything of it, I was running short on time.

I got home to no flashing light on the computer, took a peek and saw the pilot light out again. I tested the thermo-cut-off switch for continuity just for fun and pressed it. I started the pilot and got hot water. I finally found the AO Smith phone number and hoped they would answer. I waited on the phone on hold for 1 hr 10 min and then the robot stated I would receive a callback. After another hr I got a great expert to determine what I needed to order. I almost fell off my chair when he said my unit was still under warranty till 2022 with just my serial number. I didn't recall registering so I'm guessing the local shop did it for me as they are a very old local company. He said the thermopile (a pile of thermocouples) is being mailed out immediately with no charge.

BTW he knew these guys in this video and they were the best throughout all my research. I hope the install goes smoothly.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I waited on the phone on hold for 1 hr 10 min and then the robot stated I would receive a callback. After another hr I got a great expert to determine what I needed to order.

All such cost-savings programs - like having too few employees to handle the number of expected calls ("we are experiencing a very high call volume at this time") are typically blamed on Covid.

Less staffing = lower costs of salaries....if company feels that profits will not drop correspondingly, considered a good business move.

Nice that it was under warranty and they will send out the part free.

I E-mail and get free replacement faucet cartridges for my Pegasus lifetime warranty faucets.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Did a little clean-up.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Little update. Friday just before running out the door to school I took a shower and for a second I felt the hot water drop in temperature. I didn't think anything of it, I was running short on time.

You would be surprised how hot the pilot light can keep water in the tank over night. The next person in line get the cool water shower. The third person, not so lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Why would you heat Hot water?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

To get it hotter !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

Stacy

To make steam to drive a turbine to turn a shaft connected to a propeller on a ship. Thinking back to my youth in the engine room as a member of Uncle Sam’s canoe club. Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Enquiring minds still want to know if L got a couple of thermo piles or a pile of thermo couples.

Thanks for cleaning up, J. Did you have enough hot water ?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

4 years sucks. Just replaced one myself and if I have to do it again in 4 years I'll be pissed. The last one was from 2004
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Yes Abscate I received a Pilot/Thermopile Assembly under warrantee.

Unfortunately I broke & dislocated my rib slipping on ice and falling down brick stairs over 3 weeks ago. Long slow heal still sleeping on a chair leaving me exhausted and doctors give no method to heal but tell you not to get hurt again as it will puncture my spleen. UGH!

Back to the "hot water tank and the pilot light" I am unable to replace the new Pilot/Thermopile Assembly with my broken rib although I am now able to light the pilot & light grateful for hot water Very Happy

I may call my installer and have them install but not until I get the vaccine. It's been a long slow heal 2 to 8 more weeks to hopefully heal back to normal.

Abscate wrote:
Enquiring minds still want to know if L got a couple of thermo piles or a pile of thermo couples.

Thanks for cleaning up, J. Did you have enough hot water ?

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Room temperature water is quite hot, at least 459 Kelvin. Ergo , it’s a hot water heater

459 Kelvin is 186 Celsius or 367 Fahrenheit.
(Temp in K = 273 + Temp in C)

Where is your room located? You may want to move Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

459 Kelvin is 186 Celsius or 367 Fahrenheit.
(Temp in K = 273 + Temp in C)

Where is your room located? You may want to move Smile

I’ll look for some better units, it’s getting a bit Rank in here
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help ordering correct hot water heater parts Reply with quote

Saga continues:
Finally got my second vaccine for covid and had the installer/seller of my A.O.Smith tank install the thermopile to cover my warrantee. I went back to work and 3 hrs later the pilot light was out again. When the technician installed the thermopile he said it didn't look bad and thought maybe it was the TCO (thermo cutoff switch) and have A.O.Smith send me a new one also covered under warrantee. Now I have my $133. service invested after the $$ for this new heater in 2017 and yet have no solution.

I called A.O.Smith and the technician had me test (I sent photos and video) ventilation as well as see the vent pipes installed. They said it was venting properly. They also said the gas pressure tested. They also said the switch is not bad because it does trip and reset which means it is doing what it is supposed to. The TCO switch trips to prevent unburned gas from being released into the house.

This video was very helpful to learn more, the next one shows how to test that switch which I will do after school (I'm a teacher) although I've never seen OL (open loop) on my digital multimeter which should be interesting. I'm exhausted. BTW the company I bought it from said "the technician said get the switch. I am frustrated and will relay what the technician at A.O.Smith told me and test the switch. I feel like ripping the heater out with my bare hands and boil my water LOL. More to come.

Great explanation "how they work":

Link

How to test the TCO:

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: