Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Airbag light
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Airbag light Reply with quote

Hi all,
My airbag light is on all the time. My independent euro shop put the computer on it to reset and it keeps coming back. He said there was a lot of resistance across the circuit. Is this a bad airbag or clockspring problem? Please help trying to get this fixed! Sad
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

put tape on the dash problm solved
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Still searching for clues concerning Airbag light always on? I have had it to the shop and there is no problem with the airbag. The horn works, and all the other accessories on steering column. Just came back from a trip and cruise control worked fine. I have a new clock sensor without the ESP so I’m hesitant to replace the stock one and lose the ESP function. I even pulled apart the console under the radio to see if the heater core leaked on the airbag harness. It was all dry. Any clues would be much appreciated? What am I missing? Brick wall
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

If your indie isn’t using a shop scanner to read the airbag controller codes to pinpoint th eproblem, you need a new shop to look at , so equipped
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Abscate,

My Indie does have the scanner, however his wire or connector was crapping out on him. He was able to determine that the airbag was okay. Here in Chicagoland I have not found a mechanic that understands these vans! If anyone on the forum knows a good Eurovan mechanic in the Oak Park Illinois area, please speak up. They all seem to be on the East or West Coast or Denver area. I’m going to call my mechanic to see if he gotten a new cable so he can get a clear reading or I’ll just keep searching for another tech. I’ve not had good experiences with the VW dealers around here. Sad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

The airbasgs rarely , if ever fault, on any SRS system. It’s wiring , connectors , or disconnect protocol that trigger srs system lights 99.93% of the time

Often it’s when someone takes a seat out of a car, then finds out they need to reinstall it with the battery disconnected but key in a certain position to wake up the SRS controller correctly.
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Hi Abscante,
Again thanks for your reply. I thought as much concerning the airbag. Will keep up the hunt. The van runs like a top but I want to get to the bottom of this!

Cheers,
Paul F.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

A decent scanner in the AUTEL series will run about $150, which is pretty cheap compared to one hour of paid labor and commute time to the mechanic to get codes read. It’s a bit of a bitter pill for a one car family but when you run an airline like me it pays off several times a year.

My girls all have cheap OBd scanners and all know to report check engine lights with a code report. Cool
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Hi Abscate,

Can you give me a model number for the AUTEL that would do the trick? I looked and there are many to choose from.

Thanks,
Paul F
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Mine is about 10 years old now so I’ll have to find the new model corresponding , give me a few
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Hi Abscate,
Just wondering if you got the model number off your AUTEL scanner? Even though it’s ten years old, if I search on Amazon it will give me the updated model. Let me know as I’m anxious to solve this riddle!

Thanks,
Paul F
almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Just FYI - when the airbag light is on the airbags won't go off in an accident.
plforsyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Nuts, thanks for the info!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

almond wrote:
Just FYI - when the airbag light is on the airbags won't go off in an accident.

Is that a known for VAG products or speculative? I know at least one other brand that some SRS codes don’t inhibit air bag firing.

Unless the source code is public, which I doubt it is, the function of the SRS system under failure is known only by VW
almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Quote:

Is that a known for VAG products or speculative? I know at least one other brand that some SRS codes don’t inhibit air bag firing.

Unless the source code is public, which I doubt it is, the function of the SRS system under failure is known only by VW

Uhh ... speculative ... but the general case in the auto industry. How could a system thats detected a failure it cannot report accurately to a technician know when its appropriate to fire the explosives into human beings' faces and bodies? Who insures that airbag and car company?

What brand and which SRS codes, that you've seen, allow firing them under failure modes? How does the system know its in a fail safe state such that it can reason about firing under the correct conditions with partial component functionality?

[/quote]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

There are many sensors in an SRS system , like seat belt latch sensors, seat weight sensors. I bet several of the codes do not inhibit bag firing , but without source code , that is speculative as well.

Obviously, if you think safety is important, an SRS code means “ get it fixed” and assume you DONT haVe an Air bag,
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

I started a similar thread in the spring of 2018; for those insights, see:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=189132
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
I started a similar thread in the spring of 2018; for those insights, see:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=189132

You posted a link to your profile page. I am curious to see the thread you referenced. Can you please post link again.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Oops-wonder how the system did that to me- said the computer illiterate. Try:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699894
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag light Reply with quote

Every time I rehab an old car with a bad SRS/airbag I usually find, in order of frequency:

Bad clockspring
Bad seat belt buckle switch thingy
Wet or corroded airbag CPU/brain

I've fixed like 6 over the years. I figure, if you are relying on a 20 year old air bag to save you, you're probably SOL, but on the other hand you might as well load the dice in your own favor if you can.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: