Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Fire Restore
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcr1edit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Engine Fire Restore Reply with quote

Hi and Happy New Year 2021!

I'm looking for a project van that I would install a Subaru engine into. I've seen a couple of cheap Westies with fire damaged engine compartments.

Couple of questions...
Is this a waste of time? Is it impossible to get the smoke smell out of the main cabin?? I've hear it's hard to repaint metal that's been burned? I've also heard that the metal is now weaker due to the fire?

Let me know your thoughts/experience. Thanks
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Fire Restore Reply with quote

I think this is a case of "it depends".

There's a Westy camper here that burned (solar controller behind the driver's seat) and was restored but it seems it sat a few years airing out.

Not only would the burn damage not have been devastating, but the core of the van needs to be worth restoring, i.e. not previously rusted.

Are you looking for a cheap base to build on? Some may say that a $2.5K un burned base is better than a free burnt base. Are you looking for a tin-top or a camper?

Sorry, no personal experience so others can chime in with that expertise.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Fire Restore Reply with quote

Here's the phoenix I referenced...

xoo00oox wrote:
Stay tuned for an updated view on this van soon! It had been sitting in my lot for the past 3+ years, the smoke smell is finally gone! I pulled it out and brought it inside my shop about a month ago, January and February are always slow times around here.
Just fired it up for the first time yesterday. It’s now powered by a 2003 Audi A4 1.8t (AMB code) and an Audi five speed manual transmission. The gauge cluster is updated to a Passat unit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Burn...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Fire Restore Reply with quote

it completely depends upon how bad the fire was, and how far you take it apart and clean it out.
i've worked on a westy that had been fire damaged, it was taken apart every nut and bolt, there's now no trace, that the van had ever been burnt.
completing the westy interior is the difficult bit, especially a late westy.
grey interior parts don't come up forsale often, and when they do, they are usually spendy.
i'm working on another now, the engine compartment and everything under it, was burnt to a crisp, the bench and the tall closet, upper cushions, water tank and closet were badly damaged, as was the headbanger, they have been found, it's taken a few months, and cost about $1500 just for those pieces.
the interior has been stripped back to the shell, it's ALL been repainted, it came back from the paint shop, this week.
you cannot tell, there's not even a HINT that there was ever a fire.
it's about to get FULL and COMPLETE rebuild, every nut and bolt is coming off, EVERYTHING.
we have a hell of a pile of new parts to build it back up again.

619 201 0310
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: