Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

25hp Pistons?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwssvl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
vwssvl wrote:
mandraks wrote:
vwssvl wrote:
mandraks wrote:
it seems to me that the pistons in the pictures are what i linked above? motorcycle pistons. They may very well have the appropriate measurements for a VW, but the pictures look identical to the ones i found online.

They are for volkswagens as you can see on the box label, only haven’t sure about the model for now

very cool, i guess i should have punched all the numbers into the google.

i found an ad from 2019
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2247168

That one aren’t for split, they have 77.5mm 😉

NO - a 25ps motor has 75mm pistons and all Splits should have 25ps motors.

Correct, mine has 75mm (correct for split 25hp) but the ones that mandraks sent the link has 77.5mm so that ones aren´t for splits
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

I would also measure the distance between the piston pin and the top of the piston. If not the same as on a 25hp, this could affect compression ratio. Is that an optical illusion, or is there a cut through one of the piston skirts?
Another thing to consider when adapting pistons from other makes is the weight of the pistons. This can vary significantly due to differences in the amount of cast-in steel.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
I would also measure the distance between the piston pin and the top of the piston. If not the same as on a 25hp, this could affect compression ratio. Is that an optical illusion, or is there a cut through one of the piston skirts?
Another thing to consider when adapting pistons from other makes is the weight of the pistons. This can vary significantly due to differences in the amount of cast-in steel.

Why query the manufacturer's data?
These are not for another model so not being adapted, they were manufactured for 25ps VW engines.
Some manufacturers do have a slot in the piston skirt, Hepolite being one of those.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
Zwitterkafer wrote:

Why query the manufacturer's data?
These are not for another model so not being adapted, they were manufactured for 25ps VW engines.
Some manufacturers do have a slot in the piston skirt, Hepolite being one of those.

I am not querying the manufacturer's data. The OP was asking for characteristics for comparison purposes to 25hp VW. I provided 3. One other poster mentioned adapting 75 mm pistons from Opel. The weight is a characteristic that is different for those, and probably for the OP's as well. AFAIK the slot cut through the skirt in the 3rd picture is a difference not seen on VW pistons. IMO the OP is wise to assess and measure carefully before using these unusual pistons.

Interesting, the next entry in the manufacturer's catalogue is for domed 7.5-1 compression 25 hp pistons. Was there ever such a thing from VW?
bdagman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a set that I think are 25hp pistons. Does the item below your pistons have reference number 12763 or could it be 127 85? Hard to see through the marker colour but maybe you have the original picture?
Thanks
Gabriel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwssvl wrote:
Hi again,
Thanks to all... mainly to Rod VW!
John already reply... they are definitely split pistons (1947-1953):

bdagman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

Got this reply from Thornton. Nice guys!

Hi Gabriel,

Those are 1947 to 1953 1131cc 7.5-1 compression pistons.

Best Regards, Duncan
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 25hp Pistons? Reply with quote

bdagman wrote:
Got this reply from Thornton. Nice guys!

Hi Gabriel,

Those are 1947 to 1953 1131cc 7.5-1 compression pistons.

Best Regards, Duncan

Always been an excellent company for modern and old obsolete items + knowledge. Unfortunately the man who I recommended previously has now retired.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: