Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Just got a carpet set from a reputable supplier and not pleased with the carpet heater vent grommet. I know i can buy pre 1960 metal ones but would like to go original.

Anyone know where to get these OR how to remove and recover from your old carpet.

What i got.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My old carpet.

I read in this thread about soaking but not sure i read it right.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533501

Has anyone done this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Here is one option to consider.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7866749&highlight=#7866749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

No there is an idea. Instead of Plaster of Paris i could use silicone for a better mold. Will have to try that.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Still would be interested in other ideas
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

cut them off carefully with a scalpel blade and use contact adhesive to glue them back on the new carpet. Thats exactly what I did to mine
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Quote:
cut them off carefully with a scalpel blade

Is it one or two pieces? Looks like two. I am missing one regardless so i have to find another used one or mold one.

I likely will look at making a silicone mold. Anyone know of a NOS one that could be loaned out to make a mold?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

I salvaged one and applied it to the new carpet. Came out as one piece.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Looks like your carpet might've come from the same manufacturer as mine did. I didn't like the trim around the vent openings either, so I had an auto upholstery shop re-do them for me. They're not exactly like the original grommets, but I think they turned out much better than trying to re-use the old ratty ones from the original carpet.

Just for reference, the carpet kit from Newton Commercial for my Karmann Ghia came with heat-formed grommets around the heater vents, gearshift lever and handbrake openings that are very similar to OEM.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

I would be interested in purchasing a few pairs if you make extras...
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Thanks Rcooled. I'll just looked them up. Could not find any good images on their web site so i emailed them.

House. If i make a mold and it works i will make more than one set.

Anyone.... There has go to be an NOS one Somewhere. Mold will be alot better that way.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet Heater Vent Grommets. Rubber style. Where & How? Reply with quote

Success today and i think i know how these were made.

I cut the one i have still out of my old carpet and believe it or not soaking under hot water and gently pulling at the carpet threads eventually released the vinyl. Took about 15 minutes.

Vinyl you say???

Yes. I am convinced that all this is made from is a black piece of vinyl with a light pattern on it. The backing is for sure scrap door panel vinyl. I think the two are simply head seamed together. The three rings you see are the head seams/heater unit forming the gasket. The inside is perminantly seamed to the backing and the middle and outer are just seam pressed to melt into the carpet. The back side has no glue or residue in the areas not seamed and the carpet is embedded into the vinyl.

Can't tell if they started with an oval or if the tool cut out the inside and outside oval. Being wool i am not sure if that would work.

So.... Not sure if molding this is the right path or if making a seamer. If i mold it then the material has to be flexible.

Would love to hear feedback on my theory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: