Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor typ 4 GE
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vjachym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

Good day
I have a VW T2b year of manufacture 1978 with a type 4 GE engine. I would ask for advice. I made the engine, including new hydraulic tappets and camshafts, and after the engine has been installed, I don't know what clearance I should set when the valve clearance is not to be adjusted because they are hydraulic. But even in the factory, they probably had to set some basic will. Can someone please advise me?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

You have to have the piston at TDC compression for the cylinder you are setting the valves on. You need to loosen the nut for the adjusting screw and back the screw off until you have lash and then turn the screw back in slowly using just your fingers until the screw just touches the end of the valve stem, this can be very subtle. Now turn the screw in two full turns and tighten the nut.

If you try and adjust your valves at TDC exhaust your adjustment will be way off, so it is very important to get the crank in the correct position.

If your lifters are 100% full of oil it can help to do the two cylinders on one side and then run the engine for a few minutes before adjusting the other side. It helps to have the engine no warmer than 40°C when adjusting the valves so you don't burn yourself. Lifters tend to pump up faster when using a thin oil like a 5w30, and like a synthetic oil to keep them clean.

If your lifter have very little oil in them there are tricks to getting them to pump up.
vjachym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

thank you for the info
the engine is completely oil-free, the camshaft and the peeling tappets have been changed. should I tighten two more turns after touching the shaft?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

The adjusting screw runs against the end of the valve stem. You initially create slack in the system by backing the screw off and then without applying any pressure that might compress the lifter you turn the screw in until it just contacts the end of the valve stem again. This point can be fairly difficult to determine if you use a screwdriver to turn the screw as it can be barely perceptible so just use your fingers. After contact you turn the screw two more full turns.

If you did not fill the lifters with oil it can take a long time for them to fill up and your engine will be very noisy until they do fill.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

what is your native language?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

Two turns of preload (2 turns past) contact is too much on a new engine where the lifters will be new and should easily pump up and hold pressure.

With a new engine I recommend 3/4 turn past contact as an initial setting. Start the engine and let it get fully warm. You will hear if the lifters are not pumped up. The noise can be a bit disturbing but it's better to have a loose lifter than too tight. Allow the lifters to fully pressurize and the engine will quiet down eventually. Let the engine cool and check clearances again.

A good condition hydraulic lifter engine will almost always run very nicely with 3/4 turn of preload and in most cases it will run better (than 2 turns) because the valves will be fully close. 2 turns of preload can and does permit the valve to never be fully closed, as well it encourages cam wear due to constant firm contact between cam and lifter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Two turns of preload (2 turns past) contact is too much on a new engine where the lifters will be new and should easily pump up and hold pressure.

With a new engine I recommend 3/4 turn past contact as an initial setting. Start the engine and let it get fully warm. You will hear if the lifters are not pumped up. The noise can be a bit disturbing but it's better to have a loose lifter than too tight. Allow the lifters to fully pressurize and the engine will quiet down eventually. Let the engine cool and check clearances again.

A good condition hydraulic lifter engine will almost always run very nicely with 3/4 turn of preload and in most cases it will run better (than 2 turns) because the valves will be fully close. 2 turns of preload can and does permit the valve to never be fully closed, as well it encourages cam wear due to constant firm contact between cam and lifter.

What BS, there is nothing about 2 turns that will hold the valve open any easier than 3/4 turn. Two turns is in the middle of the adjusting range and isn't going to cause a valve to be held open or wear the cam unless there is excessive valve train recession happening as the engine ages. A very common problem I have seen with these lifters is that people miss the point of contact when turning in the adjusting screw and end up turning it in 1, 2, or more turns until they feel the pressure built up and then turn it in two additional turns thinking they are setting the preload thus holding the valve open. If this is your problem then you need to lean how to adjust the valves to begin with.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Western Slavic?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

vjachym wrote:
I don't know what clearance I should set when the valve clearance is not to be adjusted because they are hydraulic. But even in the factory, they probably had to set some basic will. Can someone please advise me?

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html#adjustment

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

Be aware, some new hydraulic lifters do not have the same internal dimensions as original lifters. I spoke with a handful of engine builders, and the average spec they used was 3/4 turns preload.

Call the manufacturer of the lifters and ask what they recommend.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Western Slavic?

Everyone in Africa speaks Swedish...
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Be aware, some new hydraulic lifters do not have the same internal dimensions as original lifters. I spoke with a handful of engine builders, and the average spec they used was 3/4 turns preload.

There are multiple brands of hydraulic lifters in the marketplace.

Is the mechanic advice coming from their own insight or from reading the instructions that came with the lifters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

What BS,

It's not BS. I am not about have a pissing match over this but it's well known that the factory spec'd 2-turn preload spec was too tight.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

What BS,

It's not BS. I am not about have a pissing match over this but it's well known that the factory spec'd 2-turn preload spec was too tight.

Strange that with stock hydraulic lifters (or others with similar design) if one knows how to adjust the valves properly that the factory spec works just fine, whether it's on a late Bay, an aircooled Vanagon, or a WBXer. Can't say that all aftermarket lifters have as much hydraulic adjustment range as the stock ones do so can't comment on non stock lifters.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

I'm going to posit that the 3/4 turn adjustment advice is originating from Web Cam which recommends one half to one full turn using their lifters:

vjachym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

I'm from Czech Republic
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

The load on the lifter doesn't change with the adjustment as Scott seems to claim, the load is determined by the valve spring specs and the force needed to accelerate the mass of the valve train when the valve is being opened. The preload has nothing to do with this, excepting less preload means the lifter has more oil in it and is a bit heavier adding to the opening force and the amount of preload causes a slight change in the rocker geometry.

What the preload does is determine how much wear you can have in the valve train before the piston in the lifter bottoms out at one end or the other of its travel. The wear of the valve against its seat is going to be pretty small, maybe 0.001" over 20-30K miles, while the wear of the lifter against the cam is apt to be many times that, same with the wear of the adjusting screw against the end of the valve stem. The lifters start out with a crown of maybe 0.020" and by 100K miles will have a dish in the wear face of some 0.020" or maybe more and the valve stem may have worn about 0.010" as well. This wear would total around 0.050" while if the preload is set at only 3/4 turn you can only tolerate 0.030" of wear before you have no preload any longer. Yes I am not taking the rocker ratio into account here, nor am I taking the effects of a loose valve seat into account, as once a valve seat starts working the heads have very few miles left in them.

It seems that people who claim that low levels of preload are all you need also are often the same ones that claim the hydraulic valves need to be adjusted frequently. This is kind of a "well duh" moment. Since using less preload defeats the reason for having preload in the first place then yes, frequent adjustment would be needed when the preload is decreased.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

vjachym wrote:
I'm from Czech Republic

Welcome to The Samba. I hope you find some useful information in the above comments.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

A good condition hydraulic lifter engine will almost always run very nicely with 3/4 turn of preload and in most cases it will run better (than 2 turns) because the valves will be fully close. 2 turns of preload can and does permit the valve to never be fully closed

I've been scratching my head trying to think of any reason for this. When the lifters are brand new, 2 turns of the adjustment screw shouldn't cause the valves to stay open. Assuming the factory used two turns, how did this state of things come to be and is it related to the quality/design of the parts in any way?

There are at least two Type 4 hydraulic lifter designs in the marketplace today which may fall into Euro vs. Mexican style categories.

The Mexican style seems to have a ring around the annulus of the the lifter body. This one is the Moresa brand which was used in the Mexican beetle (VW 043 109 309):

Antonio is probably the expert on that part and would have the background on the quality and adjustment rule of thumb.

The hydraulic lifter in the photo below (VW 022 109 309) is Made in Germany by Febi and this particular set came from Boston Bob Donalds before he passed away. Bob told me that he preferred Febi lifters above all others but I can't locate his email that explained why.

Measurements:

I quickly disassembled the Febi German lifter last night in order to take some precise measurements...

Wildthings wrote:
Can't say that all aftermarket lifters have as much hydraulic adjustment range as the stock ones do so can't comment on non stock lifters.

The plunger can travel approximately 4.31mm from circlip until the piston bottoms out on the ledge inside the lifter body.

This dimension is the same as the Mexican Moresa lifter according to Dacomsa: 4.27mm. So at least these two are comparable.

https://dacomsa.com/dacomsastorefront/dacomsa/en/A...ESA/p/H361

When you fill the lifter with oil using the "pick tool in the oiling hole" technique, the push rod socket is approximately 0.77mm "preloaded".

2 additional turns of the valve adjusting screw reveals 2mm of threads. On the other side of the rocker arm (1.3:1 ratio) this is approximately 1.54mm of pushrod travel.

0.77 + 1.54 = 2.31mm of preload which is about half of the 4.31mm that the plunger can travel noting that I am not compensating for radius at the rocker arm.

I've always read that the plunger should be preloaded to the halfway point and that's what 2 turns does.

Preloading Effect:

Regardless of the exact amount of preloading (3/4 - 2 turns), once the engine is running, the expansion cavity at the base of plunger is going to pressurize.

First from the oil gallery and then the check valve (ball or flap) seals the cavity as the opening ramp of the cam tries to push the body past the plunger.

The preload will only determine the initial volume of the expansion cavity which will get smaller as the engine expands and this is the means of the automatic adjustment where the valve train is cushioned by this oil filled cavity sandwiched between the plunger and the body of the lifter.

If the volume of the oil in the cavity is less than what's required to compensate for the heat expansion of the valve train then you've over adjusted the lifter which could keep the valve from seating but only in the case the lifter has bottomed out (or at whatever threshold that the spring loaded check valve fails to close).

Valves not seating:

The circumstances under which this can happen is for the lifter to fail to operate as designed:

Condition 1: expansion cavity can't drain

In this case, the lifter body bore can be categorized as contaminated in some way and should be removed from the engine and checked, cleaned and possibly replaced.

Condition 2: plunger has bottomed out

The engine is going to have to get extremely hot for the lifter to run out of travel (2mm == 0.078") when the plunger was centered at adjustment time.

The dimensions that Windthings shared has the lifter topping out at the circlip due to wear and recession. Again, there is quite a bit of travel possible to allow for the lash to be taken up automatically by the lifter even when the plunger had been centered within the body of the lifter by two turns of the adjustment screw.

So, why 3/4 turns?

I don't fix VW engines for a living and I certainly haven't seen enough poorly running GE engines to have developed a sure fire method of helping to clean out and pump up the lifters without removing them from the engine which is where I think a lot of the wisdom on adjustment descends from.

I've used a heavy weight oil for the last 18 years which promotes high oil pressures and I change the oil according to VW's recommendations. The older the oil, the dirtier and thinner it gets and the longer the lifters clatter after startup.

For any new lifter, I still need to be convinced that a 3/4 turn is required to ensure that both valves seat.

germansupplyscott wrote:
2 turns of preload can and does permit the valve to never be fully closed, as well it encourages cam wear due to constant firm contact between cam and lifter.

When the engine is off, the lifter will bleed down just as it does in the vise.

The Vanagon Bentley states how long it can take time to bleed:

You'll note the comments on those pages in that Bentley with regard to airbound lifters come from conversations between Bob and Stan Wohlfarth that made it into the last updated edition.

This is actually a good measure of a lifter which should be hard to compress by hand when there is air trapped in the expansion cavity and not easy to bleed even with a vise. If it bleeds too easily in the vise it suggests that the machined tolerances are less than ideal and you have a worn lifter or possibly a faulty check valve.

When the engine is running, how does the cam wear increase due to the preload setting?

The lifter preload is only acting against the spring at the base of the plunger.

When the engine fires up and the expansion cavity adjusts and the lifter becomes quasi-solid the same forces are acting upon the lifter whether the preload is 3/4 or 2 turns.

Last edited by ratwell on Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor typ 4 GE Reply with quote

In my experience hydraulic lifters should be adjusted to no more than 3/4 turn preload. '78 - '82.5 hydraulic lifter aircooled engines have the worst cam wear of any aircooled engine. Because I specialize in Bay Bus parts and repairs I have taken many of these apart—and it's not close. You (Ratwell) ask basically "how does this 'over-preloading' affect how the engine runs?" My answer is "The engine runs better with 3/4 turn" (try it) Sometimes empirical knowledge has value. I analyze things in abstract ways sometimes, sometimes your fingers and nose and ears are pretty good at analyzing.

"Wynne's Engine Tune Up" is an excellent product to free up lifters that otherwise won't pump up, maybe engine has had dirty oil in it or lived a hard life. It's never failed for me to quieten a noisy hydraulic lifter engine. Oil should be drained after using it.

Last edited by germansupplyscott on Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:23 pm; edited 6 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: