Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick VC Test
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is my viscous coupler
Good to go!
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Marginal
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
In need of rebuild
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

I have been reading about the various ways you can test a VC, but this being my first Syncro I'm still not totally sure what to expect. My floor jack is 86'd at the moment so I cannot do the 2x4 test... although I don't think this test will help in my situation because I suspect it's failing in the other direction.

Symptoms: The van does not exhibit what I would expect "binding" to feel like in the forward direction. Now, when I reverse out of a parking spot and turn sharply at low speeds, it does have a slight binding feel.. kind of feels like the brakes are being slightly depressed. Again, going in drive at slow speeds pulling into a spot, I do not experience this.

Here are a couple videos I did to show how little the wheel turned with one wheel lifted off the ground. I think I got each wheel to move maybe 5 degrees. This was cold, about 45F outside... but I drove around town a bit and redid the test in my driveway and there was no change.

Link

Link

Albeit, I do not have the most upper body strength in the world, but I'm no slouch either.

I am getting the feeling that my VC is either very, very stiff or locked up altogether.

Any thoughts based on this or the video would be appreciated before I pull the VC and start experimenting with different viscosity fluids Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

1987 Vanagon GL Syncro SVX NAHT "Valkyrie"
1993 Eurovan Weekender "Camper van Beethoven"
1959 Bug
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

If you try engaging it in some soft or slippery surface like a gravel driveway or wet grass, you should be able to feel right away if it's working or not. It should have that "skid-steer feel" and chew up the ground a bit.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

See if you can borrow a jack from the auto parts store. some of them have tools they loan out.

Or a funny thought, but do not recommend doing this ecologically wise...
spill some diesel fuel under the rear tires....it's like trying to drive on ice.
Since it is winter...find some ice to put the rear wheels on!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
See if you can borrow a jack from the auto parts store. some of them have tools they loan out.

Or a funny thought, but do not recommend doing this ecologically wise...
spill some diesel fuel under the rear tires....it's like trying to drive on ice.
Since it is winter...find some ice to put the rear wheels on!

Good advice! I was actually driving around looking for something slippery and found nothing wet or frozen. I think I'm going to take Californio's cue and find some gravel... we have lots of that.

1959 Bug
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

d_walküre wrote:
looking around looking for something slippery and found nothing wet or frozen. I think I'm going to take Californio's cue and find some gravel... we have lots of that.

You will need you get a rear wheel spinning!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

The video of you turning the front wheel with your arms seems fine.
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

syncro surf wrote:
The video of you turning the front wheel with your arms seems fine.

Thanks! This is all very encouraging. My main concern was that I wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging anything. But the consensus is leaning towards the VC being okay.

I'll be in search of some gravel tomorrow morn.

1959 Bug
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

If you can find a wet grass and muddy patch - or sandy patch... - put in 1st or low gear and let the rear wheel spins, open your door and look down at your wheel... if it spins the VC is good.
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
If you can find a wet grass and muddy patch - or sandy patch... - put in 1st or low gear and let the rear wheel spins, open your door and look down at your wheel... if it spins the VC is good.

Would it be of any benefit to do this test (either on wet grass,mud,sand,etc... ) with the 2x4 on the front wheels? Seems like this might add enough resistance to A) help spin the back wheels and B) give the fronts something to climb over?

1959 Bug
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

I never did the 2x4 test... so I can't tell the benefit of it... the wet grass,mud,sand,etc test is the real life test where I live... Very Happy
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

My 2 year old AA Transaxle Decoupler “Engaged” light didn’t do its thing a few weeks ago.

I tested all bulbs in the Syncro panel - all good.

Pulled rear locker knob - rear axle locks up just fine.

Jacked up the rear end with rolling floor jack with 2x4 in front of front wheels - engaged clutch in 1st gear...crawled right over 2x4. When Decoupler knob pulled - sharp turns at low speed ‘bind’ front end as prescribed.

Called Porbug (George and son Jason - installed AA rebuilt Syncro Transaxle and Decoupler). George will take a look at light issue the next time I’m “up north”.

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

Just to be clear, if the front wheels turn with the rear wheels spinning means you are transmitting power to the front wheels, but does not mean your VC is good. It could have failed in a bound up or locked or aggressive state.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Just to be clear, if the front wheels turn with the rear wheels spinning means you are transmitting power to the front wheels, but does not mean your VC is good. It could have failed in a bound up or locked or aggressive state.

Good point. I should clarify.

Pulled AA Transaxle Decoupler knob OUT (Coupled) - no light. Rear wheels spinning (lifted by rolling floor jack) - front wheels crawled over 2x4.

Pushed AA Transaxle Decoupler knob IN (Decoupled) - no light (Duh!). Rear wheels spinning (lifted by rolling floor jack) - front wheels don’t turn.

tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

Deleted double post

d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

I found a patch of mud and ice to spin my tires on today. I couldn't really spin the back wheels independent of the front wheels. I took this video several times and this is the best I got.

What I think it shows is actually the front wheels spinning out before they grab and pull the van forward. Once it gets going, then the back wheels spin a little. I am thinking this is because the weight is all in the back and when the engine puts power to the rear wheels it lifts the front a bit, thereby spinning them out.

So..... since my front wheels are spinning when the rear is not, does that mean my VC is working as designed?

(there is a settings wheel on the bottom right hand corner of the vid where you can change the speed and resolution settings. Change to .25 speed and HD 1040 for best results)

Link

1959 Bug
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

FYI, I can't watch the YouTube video, don't know about others. "Private."
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

Californio wrote:

OK, it should be good now... hadn't had that prob in the past but it should be working now.

1959 Bug
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

Probably some setting on my end but I still can't watch.

In the real word situation you describe, it sounds like the VC is doing its job, ie. pulling the van out of the mud.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

d_walküre wrote:
Californio wrote:

OK, it should be good now... hadn't had that prob in the past but it should be working now.

Still no good.
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quick VC Test Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
d_walküre wrote:
Californio wrote:

Still no good.

Twas set to private... sorry folks.

1959 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: