Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buy "WHY That Year"???
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonah888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

What year is your Beetle or Bus and Why did you choose that Year?

Some of us choose for sentimental or nostalgic memory because of that year
in our life or culture. Others choose for the collectable and resale value. Some want to fix and flip them like an old house on HGTV. While others actually like the technical aspects and features of the vehicle inside and out of that certain year.

SO... TWO QUESTIONS:
"WHAT" year do you have and "WHY" did you choose that particular year? Very Happy

Last edited by Jonah888 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whatever is fun and thrifty. Usable and can live outdoors.

76 westy- bought from a friend
72 Campmobile- first camper and VW I bought off a CL listing. My favorite.
85 Weekender- bought from the neighbors dad.
74 Frankinbeetle- bought from a brother in law.

I don’t care of the “Hip” years of VW’s. I just like driving and tinkering on them.
More importantly the people I’ve met along the way. I bought the 85 Vanagon for sentimental reasons. I wasn’t looking to buy a water cooled van. It’s my neighbors dads Vanagon, he bought it new in 85. Xatie wanted the 74 Frankinbeetle because it reminded her of her moms bug. None of them are time capsules but the fun is priceless.

I have buddy’s that have mint VW’s of all kinds. Some drive them regularly, some don’t. I don’t care. I respect their hobby that gives them an escape.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I had a bunch of 1965 Beetles over the years, last wonderful year of the 1200 cc engine here in States.

1962 Samba..redacted by spouse

1971 Westie..decent power in the 1600 and power front disc brakes!

1983 diesel T3 ..first VW with heat at -20F

2002 T4...first VW with everything I wanted, just as ordered. Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Old VWs in my neck of the woods are rare enough that the year you buy is the one that comes available for purchase. Period.

IF I had a choice it would be a '71 or newer SB convertible to drive or an unmolested '66 for a garage queen.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I've always preferred pre '65 beetles, especially oval windows. Shorter window heights, more of the original look to me. After having a '57 in high school, I've enjoyed the look out the rear view mirror with an oval.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

For me I had to have Split Window buses, if it had the small rear hatch and small tail lights even better. Bugs I have had from 57s to a 67 I now have, I also like the 64 to 66s but couldn't find one when I was looking and this 67 popped up local for a good price. I don't mess with buses any longer, and the 67 is one year I had stayed away from because of the many one year parts on them...I am learning to like it. Very Happy
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Jonah888 wrote:

Some of us choose for sentimental or nostalgic memory........

SO... TWO QUESTIONS:
"WHAT" year do you have and "WHY" did you choose that particular year? Very Happy

1967 Karmann Ghia.
Simply put 1967 is the very best year for any VW!
Seriously, my first VW was a 1967 Karmann Ghia that I drove during my H.S. years. (mid 70's)
I probably would have bought any pre 1970 Ghia but as good fortune would have it my 67 became available Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Our '69 Westfalia. I got it around 2002 (?) because I wanted it. This was a very cool bus back when I had VWs "before"...from 1970-76. I am glad I did not get a '68 because of all the one-year-only parts. It desperately needs a lot of restorative care but it is still fun to drive. Someone even posted it on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VWBus/comments/kxgix6/ama...urce=share
It also appeared on the cover of Surfer Magazine.
The 2002 Eurovan Camper. Purchased to take a long road trip with our 3 dogs in the summer of 2019. The requirements for that trip: air conditioning, automatic, large enough for the dogs to travel comfortably during the day and sleeping inside with us when camping. And no "motorhomes".
They both still serve good purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Split/oval body on a IRS pan.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I bought my 65 111 1200"A" Custom in 1968 because I needed transportation for school. 53 years later, I still have it.
I bought the car because it was ( where I lived-so cal. ) rare. The 1200"A" and the 1200"A" Custom were the last beetles ( except Canadian custom ) to have the 36hp fresh air engine, a 4.43 R&P, a pan that had claw & wingnut to stud seat mounts=no seat tracts and because the car was in great condition.

I bought my 64 deluxe in 1973 for transportation for my wife to go to university.
I bought it because it was in great shape, and it had a great engine, a 1966 40hp 1200, the new kind of 40hp with the big oil pump and cam bearings. That engine went 168,000 miles before I needed to rebuild it. I rebuilt it in 2012. Still have it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

I found that ^^^^ 1966 Singlecab in 1998, it took 9 years Shocked to talk the old lady that owned it into selling it to me.
Why that year, I was not waiting to find another 28 year Barn find of a "better" year, I prefer a small back window round tail light Single or Double cab, but none to be had locally for $1000...
My '86 Doka, I wanted one for a while, any '86-'91 2 wd or syncro, this one popped up 5 hours north into Canada, all the other ones that were available on line then (2002) were Pacific N.W. mostly. One owner, $8900.
Our '91 Carat/Wlfs. was found after agin looking for a '86-'91 Van, found this 10 miles from home w/ 45K miles, one owner, in 1998. $9800

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

'63 was always my favorite year bug. First year of fresh air, last year of the rag top. Still 40hp. It feels like "peak bug" to me. They had a lot of kinks worked out but they didn't start tweaking things too much.

'69 was my favorite bay year. '68s had too many one year only things, '70 feels wrong because its not a '60s car anymore. '71s started to loose the vintage feel with the new wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
'63 was always my favorite year bug. First year of fresh air, last year of the rag top. Still 40hp. It feels like "peak bug" to me. They had a lot of kinks worked out but they didn't start tweaking things too much.

'69 was my favorite bay year. '68s had too many one year only things, '70 feels wrong because its not a '60s car anymore. '71s started to loose the vintage feel with the new wheels.

1970,is the last.year of the 1960s

That’s why Prince sang...were going to party like it’s two.....thousand
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

The first car I really wanted was a 1954 Bug when I wad 15. Dad wouldn't let me buy it for $2000 (was a lot in 1984). My first car was a 1960 Bug, but I have always wanted an oval. I didn't really have a year thing, just an oval. So I bought a 1957 Bug a few years ago, much later after my child is grown and owns his own home. For me the best Bug is NOT a sunroof car or 'vert. I want all weather western WA driving without worrying about water intrusion (and fixing leaks). If I have my choice the oval will get a dechroming and done up old Cal-look style -- less holes. But I may just leave it stock except for the 40 horse gear box (great for 36 horse driveability, miss the 1st gear whine my first car had.)

My BIG thing was the Berry Mini-T. As an even younger child I read "Dune Buggies" by Gary Gladstone. That buggy was featured about 8 pages I to the book. The street rod styling captured me. So I own one now, in my garage getting built my way. My first buggy, a Manx style clone, was more comfortable and practical. Still, I had to get a Berry Buggy.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

because the kid down the street wanted $45 for it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Ding ding ding ding!, often the right car finds you, it may not be exactly what you think you want, but if it's affordable and available you usually find room for it in your needs. Every year and model has it's own special features that you learn to accept and likely love as time goes by.

Sure it would be nice to have X and Y features, but that Z and A that the one you have or found is nice and different too, it's hard to get picky when all the tech is ~50 years old, it's all so different from modern cars it doesn't matter much.

I get a giggle from the magazines that say a 67 (or some year) is the best ever, usually the next thing they do is ditch most of the unique one year only stuff and slap on some shiny Chineseish crap to make it just like any other year, why bother?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ding ding ding ding!, often the right car finds you, it may not be exactly what you think you want, but if it's affordable and available you usually find room for it in your needs. Every year and model has it's own special features that you learn to accept and likely love as time goes by.

100% agree! I bought my '67 almost 20 years ago back in the day when Auto Trader magazines were printed in black and white newspaper print. I bought them including the Antique Trader fairly often. One day, there it was. Tiny, crappy pic, but it "spoke" to me. I knew nothing about '67s or much of anything about VWs despite having owned a '66 briefly when I was 14. After a few years of ownership, I somehow found TheSamba in 2005 and it's been VWs ever since! My '67 and '65 bugs I have owned the longest. I also have a '56 Swedish-spec Oval (whose owner contacted me through this site) and a '66 KG vert that I found here, too. Quite a few others have come and gone, including my '59 Subhatch Westy and '67 21-Window Deluxe bus, but each was unique in its own way. Come to think of it, after I bought my first '67 bug, every other VW I've had has a direct connection to my engagement with this site. So, thanks, Everett! Very Happy

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

For bugs, I'm guessing it was '67 as my mom had one, my brother had one, I had one, even had a parts bug "Freebie" just in case.

Mom's was ours from 1981-2000 and was completely stock with a sunroof
My brother's was stock, the engine blew and sat for about 5 years while he drove his '64 bus.
Mine was the only "performance" Cal look. My dad and I rebuilt nearly everything. Stolen in '89.

My brother's boyfriend at the time lived with us also had a red '67 convertible, so at one time there were four running '67's parked at our house and one extra.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

Jonah888 wrote:

I'm in Arizona, and I was 19; in November 1972 I wanted a light-colored Beetle with dealer-added AC. Apparently 1970 was the first year that the AC condenser was moved up front instead of two smaller condensers above the drive axles. So I wanted 1970 or 1971, and knew that 1971 would be more expensive and that spark plug replacement on the 1971 would be more challenging because of the dual-port intake manifold with such AC compressor. So I settled on 1970 year (we didn't fully understand the advantage of doghouse cooler on the 1971 models then).

So I looked in local newspaper, and found an ad in the ASU school newspaper, seller wanted best offer over $1200. I went over, checked it out as best I could (like an hour), took it for a ride. I offered $1050, knowing that'd I'd readily pay $1100 and maybe $1200; got it for $1100, was terrified that it might break down on the way home and that my dad would yell at me.

It did not break down, and I still have it. It turned out that I neglected to check two things: radio (AM only) only tuned by the push buttons, the internal wire was bad and the passenger door had never been opened after initial purchase and it creaked like Herman Munster's front door. Took months of oiling and working that door back and forth to fix that. The "Formula Vee" decals and pinstripes on it were there when I bought it.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buy "WHY That Year"??? Reply with quote

if another came along at the right price I may think about getting it....currently Im thinking on a 64 dart gt....locally. and possibly either a divorce, or...my 356 going away. and my head hurts from all the thinking...turbo the 64.... Shocked add AC if it dont have it....and 8 speed trans. Wink now that would be a sweet ride...then frame it...cage it....hemi..narrow rearend.. fuel cell..... like my old duster ...oh shit hear eye go again. dam eye wish it wasent cold out side....I need a break from my self
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: