Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeing double-1966 Java Green
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Wow! You sir are a good planner for the future. Looking forward to watching the engine go together.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Time for my 6 month update! Not a lot was done over the winter on the 66. I took it to upholstery shop and they installed headliner, WW seat covers and WW carpet kit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had found a Sapphire radio at a swap meet last year to fill the hole in the dash.

I had a WTB ad for a year for original paint radio delete plate and a fellow Samba member from Germany sold one to me.

I like the delete plate better, it matches the other bug.

I assembled the NOS 1300 engine a couple months ago and fired it up yesterday outside of the car. Engine ran great, nice and smooth. I saw a puddle of oil under it today, I tipped it up and checked all places and everything was dry, except the sump. I had forgotten to tight the sump bolts all the way. Shocked Snugged them down and leak stopped. I installed engine in car today

Bought a pulley nut cover from a Samba member a couple weeks ago. Still has the original part number stickers on it!

Going to work on getting the electrical hooked up tomorrow. I installed a WW wiring harness for a 66. I wish I had bought a harness for a 67. I drilled the generator to mount regulator on and the wires will need to be a bit different.
I am hoping to fire the engine up in the car in the next week or so.

Casey
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

The interior looks fantastic, I was going to go that route in my 67 Java but gutted and went with the OG Black it came with. What color did WW call your carpets, and what color door panels will you use...looks great. .
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
Time for my 6 month update! Not a lot was done over the winter on the 66.

Nice!

One of the great fallacies is that Winter is a good time for automotive projects. Up north winter sucks for car projects. Further north you go the worse it gets. It's not a lot of fun handling cold metal in a cold garage. It's no fun blowing your parts fund heating a cold garage.

"Cold" in SoCal means "We're not going to the beach today." "Cold" in the Northeast means we're going to shovel a foot of snow just to get to the garage. Rolling Eyes

Reminds me of my old Java green '67. I got it out of a barn in Vermont around 1990. Paid $100 for it. It was about in the same condition as your '66.

I slipped a '74 dual port in it and drove the hell out of it. It was my daily for half a dozen years. I was on a staggered schedule. It got another beam and another dual port every year- year and a half.

I must have put 50k (miles) per year on it. I was working with a hard rock band at the time. I drove my '67 to gigs all over the East coast.

Had half a dozen '66s, several Java green, a pearl white one and a black one, mostly Rust Belt rot boxes. I'm looking at another '66, a semi- restored Rust Belt rot box. Good thing I have three spare 1300s and two '66 pans. Cool

Big Bill wrote:
The interior looks fantastic, I was going to go that route in my 67 Java but gutted and went with the OG Black it came with. What color did WW call your carpets, and what color door panels will you use...looks great. .

Java green '67 got the tan seats and door panels.

I still have the tan low backs with the knobs on the sides, late '67.

Pretty sure oatmeal square weave carpet is about right for '67 with the tan interior.

Next one I do is getting bedliner on the floors with duck boards. Way I figure it a Jave green Bug is just a happier Type 87. Very Happy

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

"Java green '67 got the tan seats and door panels"

Interesting info Dusty1 most I have seen and read about seem to have Black interior. I think mine had Black as the toad that owned it before me wouldnt have had the brains to change the color Very Happy . But I have been wrong before... Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

@Big Bill
1967 VW colour brochure.

Black interior wasn't even an option for Java Green.

The 1966 Java Green likewise only had a tan for the leatherette interior, albeit a lighter shade.

diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Yep, the tan seat covers were a 67 thing. I think they look better with the paint than the original (door panel). I saw a 67 Java Green at a show 20 years ago or so and really liked the Brown. Wolfsburg West calls it tan, J Bugs calls it Saddle, I believe. I used the WW synthetic carpet, also called tan, it matches the original oatmeal square weave in my other 66.

Here are a couple of the headliner

Luggage area

I spent the day on electrical, getting the regulator hooked up. I went with a solid state one, doesn't look as nice as an original but should be trouble free.

I put battery in and to my surprise, everything works! Well, almost everything. Horn doesn't work when horn ring pressed in. I grounded the ground on column to chassis and horn worked. I will have to dig into that tomorrow. I'm not the best with electrical and was worried I woluld have some problems but the Wolfsburg West wiring harness had great instructions and was very easy to install.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Great info guys...its seems you can learn something new almost everyday here on the Samba. Wish I had know this a few weeks ago... Smile
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Took the bug out last night around the neighborhood. First drive since 1985 or so. Drives nice, definitely needs an alignment. Going to get it insured and tagged Monday to get it out and go for longer drives.

Installed NOS wiper arms and blades this morning.

Casey
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Took one more day off work to mess around on the bug. I found the problem with the horn. When I installed a new rubber steering coupling, I installed the grounding tab on the shaft side of coupling. I was reading the WW wired horn troubleshooting and realized the grounding tab has to be on steering box side.

I switched it and the horn worked. I installed a 12 volt horn, too. Since horn was fixed I dug a NOS horn button from my parts dept.

It looks nice installed! I also installed a NOS fuse cover

The new one has the fuse numbers in opposite order. I wonder if RHD cars have different fuse numbers?

I installed my headlights today, too. Parking lights work but headlights do not, I suspect the switch. I have the original I removed from car and may swap it out to see if that is problem. Hooked up heat exchangers and put new plastic washers on heat levers. Heat works as it should, levers now stay where you leave them. Got insurance and antique plates today. Hard to believe I can take it out and drive it after tripping over it for past year in garage. Gonna go take it for a spin now!

Casey

diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

I took the new WW headlight switch out and installed the original back in the car and I have headlights!

The parking lights stay on when the headlights are on. I know that is not how it is supposed to be but does it harm anything to have them on with headlights?

I have been driving it around quite a bit and engine is starting to loosen up. I had been using the 30 PICT 1 from my other bug to break engine in. I installed a rebuilt 30 PICT 1 with power circuit. It will be interesting to see how much faster this one will go than my other with a 67 intake (larger diameter) and a power circuit on the carb.

I installed a new steering dampener and adjusted steering box. I am very pleased how well it drives. I am not pleased with the large leak from my swing axle. It is leaking from the left side cover, like it always has. I was hoping the new gasket kit and sealant would do the job but I must have a side plate that was over torqued. This transaxle is the original from my other bug. I took it out a few years ago due to the massive leak. It also clunks in reverse. I have the transaxle that came in the car but no clue of the condition. I am tempted to get it cleaned up, install a new gasket kit and boots and switch it out. For the short term, I will just feed it's habit and drive it.

Casey
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
The parking lights stay on when the headlights are on. I know that is not how it is supposed to be but does it harm anything to have them on with headlights?

It doesn't hurt anything to have the front parking lights on with the headlights, in fact that's how they were wired in most countries outside the USA. If you decide you'd rather they turn off when the headlights are on, simply connect them to the 57 terminal of the headlight switch.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_66_USA.jpg
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Very impressive build! Keep up your good work.

Yes it would be nice to know how this 1300 runs with the both 30 Pict-1 carbs with and without the power circuit.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
It is leaking from the left side cover, like it always has. I was hoping the new gasket kit and sealant would do the job but I must have a side plate that was over torqued. This transaxle is the original from my other bug. I took it out a few years ago due to the massive leak.

I installed some Weddle axle tube stiffeners to stop mine from leaking. https://weddleindustries.com/products/6168/6168
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Did you have time to try out both carbs and establish any differences in the engine power output?

Thanks
75 Baywindow
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Any updates on the different carb trial?

Thanks
75 Baywindow
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Restocal63, I'm sorry I missed your earlier question, I have not kept up on this thread very well. I have been driving the new 66 all Summer. I really notice the power circuit on it when I am going 55-60 mph and accelerate. Engine responds and it gets moving. The old bug with non power circuit would still accelerate, but not as fast. I actually removed the non power circuit carb and replaced it with a Solex 30 PICT1 from a 66 Ghia. It has the base flange number 88-1. Keeping the non power circuit carb as a backup. Both bugs can get up to 80mph but the power circuit gets there quicker for sure.

Casey
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Many thanks for your input and real drive feel.

Shall be on the hunt for a 30 Pict-1 with a power circuit for my 66 as seems to be a definite improvement.

Thanks again.
75 Baywindow
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Any updates?? Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Well once again I let this thead sit without updates. I drove the bug a lot last summer after I woke it up from it's 35 year slumber. I put 700 miles on it in one week, going to 2 different VW shows. One in southern Illinois and one up near Chigago. Engine runs great, nice and cool with the offset oil cooler. It does smoke a bit upon start up. When I was under it I noticed a bit of oil between #2 cylinder and head. I think some oil is getting past rings, hopefully just a cracked ring and not a scored cylinder. I have not driven it a whole lot over winter and into spring. I doubt there is oil in transaxle. Axle flanges leak a LOT!. The trans that is in it is the original from my other 66. I took the transaxle out of storage that came in car. Installed Weddle axle flange stiffener plates (thanks for the tip Toxic Avenger70)and new detent plugs. Not sure of condition of trans but it had oil in it and still had one original non split axle boot with VW logo on it, so I am hoping it is low miles and works ok. It is from a 63.

The steering isn't the best. I put a rebuilt steering box in that I had for a few years. I bought one from VW NOS last fall but have not had time to install it.

I am hoping to swap out the trans soon so I can drive it this Summer. I've been driving my original 66, since I only drove it a few times last year.

Other 66 is sitting in garage, waiting to be worked on...

Casey

Last edited by diablosandwich on Thu May 25, 2023 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: