Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeing double-1966 Java Green
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

I saw this on Facebook marketplace, four hours away
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/774753534244731
I am tempted to spend my property tax $$...
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

I was going to replace my steering box today to get ready to go to VW show next week. Pulled the spare and popped off the inspection cover for steering box. The four bolts that hold cover to box were finger loose! I backed off adjustment screw and tightened the 4 bolts. Readjusted box and it is good. I will have to put some grease inside but it was an easy fix. Not sure why bolts were so loose. Steering is quite a bit tighter than it was.
First time having both out this year!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Casey
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

I'm really not into the model years above 1963, but I like this thread very much! Perhaps because it is dedicated to original condition. Thank you for sharing this story with us!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words!
Casey
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
I saw this on Facebook marketplace, four hours away
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/774753534244731
I am tempted to spend my property tax $$...

I'm sure you immediately noticed that with the front fenders, narrow rear track, and engine lid that the car is a '66 and not a '67 as advertised.
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Yep I saw it was a 67 but ima sucker for Java Green!
Casey
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Drove the Montana bug down to Mid America Motorwork's Funfest today. 250 miles round trip. I added oil to transaxle last night (1 1/2 Qts!) and aired up tires. It did great on I 57 doing an easy 70mph, would go up to 75 easy to pass the occasional semi. Picked up a 66 drivers seat frame in rough shape for $15! It is in rough shape but still has operational seat lever on side. They are hard to find and I broke mine on other bug a few years ago. Also grabbed an SU ignition switch, Blue streak points for a 205K, hood release cable and clutch Bowden tube. Only spent $30, pretty good for me.

Casey
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Check out these Blue Streak points I got today, for the 205K. Solid copper frame with an oiling wick, nice old school quality.

I am always on the lookout for NOS ignition parts to fill my parts cabinet.

Casey
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

I like it! I'm always a sucker for NOS consumables like that too. I made a road trip MEM-DFW in my 71 bus the summer of 2015, and on the last leg home about 30 miles out, I started getting a misfire that kept getting worse and worse. I made it home, and was able to narrow it down to a bad condenser, which I recall was a new (actually new, not NOS) part. I replaced it with a used condenser and that was all it took.

Interestingly enough.. the poor quality new parts isn't just a VW community phenomenon. I work in aviation and I see it constantly - we'll install a part, the ops check is bad, and after more troubleshooting, end up changing the part again, and find that we just had a part "BFS" bad-from-stock.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Did a little work on the Montana bug in the last week or two. Finally installed seatbelts. I bought some Humvee seat belts on eBay and used the seat belt bracket from CIP1. Seat belts from eBay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/175840661784 and the bracket https://www2.cip1.com/c26-857-024/

They do not go well with the interior but I do like having them now.

Picked up my daughter from work Wednesday night in the Montana bug.
Pulled up to my garage door, stopped and pulled emergency brake started to get out of car to open garage door then asked my daughter to open it. When I let off emergency brake and pressed brake there was no pedal Shocked I looked for brake fluid on all corners and under master cylinder. Nothing. Pulled it in garage and had a look the next morning. After looking for a bit I noticed the pin had fallen out of the pedal assembly where it connects to master cylinder pushrod. I had installed the pin retainer backwards last year when I rebuilt the pedal assembly. I was very lucky for the pin to fall out on my drive...

I replaced the hood (trunk seal) and installed a trunk liner from WW. I am amazed how much air is not blowing through dash with new seal and my wiring cover installed. Bug has been tapped in front and has a bit of an uneven gap between hood an body. I put a bright light in trunk in dark garage and couldn't see light.

Hoping to drop engine and replace transaxle in the next month or so to get rid of the leaking trans that is in it now. Tired of walking in the garage and smelling gear oil!

Casey
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the seat belts? 🤟🏽
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Link for seat belts and bracket is in first paragraph.
I have non retractable seatbelts from WW in other bug. They look better but these feel more comfortable and safer.
Casey
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Sorry! I saw the first sentence and then scrolled to all the photos!!😂
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing double-1966 Java Green Reply with quote

Saw this on a Facebook group this morning. I thought it resembled mine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: