Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barfsurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Just had to share the totally random thing that happened to me today. After filling up the gas in my '66 Kombi, we drove over to a nearby tennis court and parked. The parking lot had a slight slope to it, so the bus was slightly tilted to the passenger side. Seriously... not a big slope, just barely noticeable.

When we got back to the bus, fuel was dripping all over the asphalt! Gas was just drooling out of the fuel filler neck. Quite a mess. Fuel was pooled in the tray where the fuel tank resides, and it was all over the frame and wiring. Got everything dried off and waited a while, and then drove home with sweetie clutching the fire extinguisher and looking for smoke out of the rear view mirror the whole time.

Has this ever happened to anyone? It's a pretty rare turn of events - the parking lot was super close to the gas station, probably less than a mile. I had no idea that the tank got THAT full and that it would be that sensitive to a slightly non-level parking spot.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

barfsurfer wrote:
Just had to share the totally random thing that happened to me today. After filling up the gas in my '66 Kombi, we drove over to a nearby tennis court and parked. The parking lot had a slight slope to it, so the bus was slightly tilted to the passenger side. Seriously... not a big slope, just barely noticeable.

When we got back to the bus, fuel was dripping all over the asphalt! Gas was just drooling out of the fuel filler neck. Quite a mess. Fuel was pooled in the tray where the fuel tank resides, and it was all over the frame and wiring. Got everything dried off and waited a while, and then drove home with sweetie clutching the fire extinguisher and looking for smoke out of the rear view mirror the whole time.

Has this ever happened to anyone? It's a pretty rare turn of events - the parking lot was super close to the gas station, probably less than a mile. I had no idea that the tank got THAT full and that it would be that sensitive to a slightly non-level parking spot.

yes, this has happened to all of us. Just don't top it off that high.
I even got a ticket once in Germany..... for the "remediation".

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Yep, I've done that a few times too. It's a normal thing that can happen.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Gas expands when it gets warm, this is what makes it work to push your pistons towards the center of your engine. It can also expand in the tank and will run out the vent hole.

There is a drain tube at the bottom of that little shelf that routes the excess gas safely down below the vehicle. It sounds like yours is clogged, this is not uncommon. Try running a cut off clutch cable through the hole to free up the crud inside there.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

I wish this thread was two weeks older. I had this happen in my single cab just a few weeks ago parked in front of my friends bicycle shop. The only diffrence, I had been trying to fix a very small leak that did not leak out the vent hole but out of the plate where a long vent hose was attached. Since it was a custom made aluminum tank, I thought I had an isolated case and it was the tank that was made. I did not know it was normal since I had never experienced it after years of owning buses.

I bought a new stock VW gas tank and had it installed last week. Since that time I have filled the tank to the max for the first time ever BUT I have not parked any place where the single cab is leaning to the left or right. Photos of my previous attempt to fixing that leak are posted in my gallery and other threads here on Samba.

Normal huh? Anyone want to buy a custom made 15gal aluminum gas tank that fits in the treasures chest of a 59 single cab? I will post photos and a sales on on the classifieds later today, Sunday January 17th.
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

About 5 yrs ago, I had taken my College Drawing class to a local park to draw and on the way back to campus I topped off my gas tank. When I got back on campus I had to park in a place I hadn't parked before. Some colleagues and I went to lunch at that time. About 30 minutes later my phone blew up.... Something was wrong with my truck! I headed back to campus to find the Tulsa Fire Dept., Tulsa Police and Campus Police surrounding my truck and crawling around under it. It took a lot of explaining and moving off the the incline to another parking spot to completely convince them that the gas dripping from under was not a big bad leak. I'm just glad they didn't decide to 'foam' it before I got there!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

my impala has the filler behind the license plate sitting nice and low... just going up a slight incline does it Laughing
Tom snowden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Yup! Happened to me just have to lean toward the driver side or a flat spot. I feel better that I’m not alone.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Man! Does this bring back memories!

Most of us have had this happen to us in one way or another. That was your turn to learn the lesson.

Cold gasoline stored in an underground gas station storage tank pumped into your warm Transporter on a warm or (even worse) hot day and then parked on even a slight slope will cause this misadventure as the gas warms and expands up your filler neck and is forced to ooze out your vented cap. Either put miles immediately after the fill-up to use/burn off the gas, or do not completely fill the tank.

I bet that won't happen to you again now that you know better! Welcome to the club!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

This happened to me in my 13 window last year when we were out in Colorado. We had lunch at Bristol brewing Co(home of mass transit ale) then filled up with gas on our way back to Manitou Springs ,where I parked on Manitou Ave in front of a restaurant. My wife and I went for a walk around town and when we came back the bus was surrounded by MSFD..I quickly explained my dumb mistake and drove off
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

I had it happen back in the summer. I was actually parked on the street outside of a VW parts place. Another customer came in telling me I was pouring gas all over the place. I immediately realized and said that I'd just filled it up a couple of miles away and shouldn't have parked there. The guy kept saying there's no way I was going to be driving home with such a bad gas leak and insisted I didn't know what I was talking about, saying something about me being too young and inexperienced Rolling Eyes
Funny because when I moved it across the street into a flat parking lot it stopped.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Been there done that ..except I did something thats a big no-no. It all began when after toping off the tank than drove it about 5 miles and parked it .Then I noticed a small fuel drip from the drain tube behind the the right hand rear wheel .Yes the bus was in a perking lot tilted to the right a bit and I thought it would be a good idea to vent the tank by cracking the cap a bit. That crap came shooting out and soaked my hand before i turned it back to lock position. Oops Embarassed

Last edited by Busted-bolt on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
Been there done that ..except I did something thats a big no-no. It all began when after toping off the tank and noticed a small fuel drip from the drain tube behind the the right hand rear wheel and yeah the bus was in a perking lot tilted to the right a bit and I thought it would be a good idea to vent the tank by cracking the cap a bit. That crap came shooting out and soaked my hand before i turned it back to lock position. Oops Embarassed

I did that with my '67, my first split Bus when I was 19. I worked at a restaurant and a gas station connected to our parking lot. Someone ran in telling me my Bus was leaking and I went out and opened the cap. So then here I was the rest of the night cooking up BBQ and smelling like gasoline. Laughing

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Broke-ass hippies only put in $5 at a time-never happened to them!
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

I've had it happen to me a few times. I was talking to a few friends about it and one of them told me my gas cap wasn't venting. It was an aftermarket newer cap. My friend said to drill a small vent hole in the cap or get an original vw cap. I drilled a hole in the cap I had and never had a leaking problem again. I now have an og cap. Still no leaks and I top off every time at the pumps.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Most recent time this happened to me, was last week.

Parked with a full tank, and the passenger side jut a bit lower than the driver side.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Thermal expansivity of gasoline is very low , of order 0.0006 per F

Spillage is overfilling , not thermal Expansion of liquid. On an evap
Equippedcar it is possible that vapours can drive liquid to spill via the evap
System if there are faults in that system.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Thermal expansivity of gasoline is very low

Charles’ law says 10.6 gallons of gas pumped out of the ground at 50 degrees and will now be 11.1 gallons at 80 degrees.

That’s over half a gallon spilling on the ground.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Thermal expansivity of gasoline is very low

Charles’ law says 10.6 gallons of gas pumped out of the ground at 50 degrees and will now be 11.1 gallons at 80 degrees.

That’s over half a gallon spilling on the ground.

i am thinking the fact that gases compress and expand, and liquids do not plays into this as well?

there is always an air bubble a the top, if the car is tilted towards the gas cap, that air is on the opposite side. If that air expands it displaces the liquid, which goes up the path of least resistance... there is your mess.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TIL: Don't park bus on a slope after filling the gas! Reply with quote

When gasoline is sold by the tanker full, often they will take a temperature reading and adjust the price accordingly. With many petroleum distillates a gallon isn’t always a gallon. I used to buy kerosine from a gas station that had an above ground storage tank. The colder it got the better the deal, just couldn’t store the full cans inside or they started puking out the vent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: