Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild [SOLVED]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

T3TRIS wrote:
So we even need to put grease on these outside of these bearings?

No. Install the bearing as it is.
If you look at it this way- all the grease this bearing requires is inside the bearing already.
If it were an open bearing that you had to grease before installing by looking at this sealed bearing you can see that the bearings do not require massive amounts of grease-just high quality grease that maintains it's properties over time.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Wow. Thank you all for your input on this! So many possibilities and I love this community!

I’m not gonna quote each comment here but I’ll try to respond to all of them in no particular order.

I will lift the van and spin the wheels to see. I’ll also do a road test using only the parking brake, or at least as much as possible. I HOPE it’s the brakes!! I did a flush a few months ago and it was my first ever brake flush. Seems to have worked ok. I’ve never been satisfied with our brake performance. I still need to tinker with the rear (parking brake sucks). Replaced all brake components on the rear within the last year, pads and rotors for the front too. There’s less than a handful of thousands of miles on them. After a short road test, I’ll remove the components again and see what’s up. The hubs have always been tough to spin without the wheel OR brakes on, since the rebuild. Someone said before it was possibly just due to the bearing seal.

Tom, before everything settles, our van did sit around 20.25” or 20.5” from center of axle to fender lip. I measured again last night when we got back and we are at 19.75” after all that off-roading. I imagine the settling happened early in the drive. The front CV outer temperature was lower than the wheel hub and studs. I lifted the van before driving and spun the wheel at full extension to see if anything felt like it was binding or resisting and it felt fine. Again, that was before the first mile was put on the rebuild.

Regarding the torque, I put the breaker bar just above level with the ground and centered my foot on the tape, with my foot square to the breaker bar. I climbed on it holding the rain gutter and let the breaker bar spin slowly downward. It probably barely made it to the other side of level when it stopped. That’s when I pushed down a little more to compensate for my weight loss Razz It’s no lab test of course and I agree, I should be using a proper torque wrench, but as Tom said, I’d be surprised to be more that 50lb/ft off! That being said, I have no idea if 200lb/ft would create heat or if 300lb/ft would create heat too, so yeah... I should use a torque wrench just to eliminate that possibility.

I did put quite a bit of grease on the outside of that bearing. I have no idea how I could try to remove some without pressing the wheel hub out.

I’ll do those tests later this afternoon but this additional information might help.
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

We have heard 20 is the max, but this is from users over the years, not an OEM spec.
I set mine at 19.5.

===========

Ya know?
NOBODY IR-guns their lugnuts after a front-end rebuild.

I see a post in the "what did you do to your van today?"
"IR-gunned my lugnuts today."
Probably not a good tattoo but maybe a fun T-shirt.

Just like.... nobody looked at rebuilt gearbox drain magnets at the first 200 miles.
Maybe the new bearings just get warm as its bedding in.
Are the CVs new too?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Non mechanical type here, but I read a lot. From what I'm reading, you crushed the sealed bearing by over torquing it with a bar and not the right measuring tool.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Within reason, I don’t believe you can over torque the front cv joints. Factory parts are machined such that both inner races seat on each other. The hub seats on the outer race and the cv joint seats on the inner race. When you tighten it, it’s metal on metal surfaces. The high torque is to keep the entire assembly tight. At some point you are stretching the threads on the cv shaft if you go too tight. Not the hub, bearing or cv splines.

Disclaimer. I could also be wrong.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
We have heard 20 is the max, but this is from users over the years, not an OEM spec.
I set mine at 19.5.

===========

Ya know?
NOBODY IR-guns their lugnuts after a front-end rebuild.

I see a post in the "what did you do to your van today?"
"IR-gunned my lugnuts today."
Probably not a good tattoo but maybe a fun T-shirt.

Just like.... nobody looked at rebuilt gearbox drain magnets at the first 200 miles.
Maybe the new bearings just get warm as its bedding in.
Are the CVs new too?

Haha, that’s what I do... over analyze some things, under analyze others...

We reused our outer CV’s but switched sides. The inner parts of the CV’s stayed with their respective outer parts, however it was too late when I finally figured out I was supposed to mark them... I just remembered that. Even though all parts of the out CV’s stayed together from side to side, we most likely reassembled the inner race in a different “clocking” with the outer race than when we took them off. I didn’t use the assembled axles from van-cafe because I didn’t like the quality compared to standalone CV’s that seem to be unavailable right now. I figured I’d try to return those axles and source a pair of standalone Lobro/GKN outer CV joint.

Last edited by T3TRIS on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

I wonder if over packing the outer part of the bearing with grease, where it seats with the wheel hub, can push the orange bearing cage seal inward from grease pressure when pressing the hub in.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

T3TRIS wrote:
I wonder if over packing the outer part of the bearing with grease, where it seats with the wheel hub, can push the orange bearing cage seal inward from grease pressure when pressing the hub in.

Curious, where did you get the idea grease needed to be there?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Just to be the devils advocate regarding IR Guns...it is probably not accurate!

Measure the temp of a ice cube to see if it is 32°. I tested 6 IR guns in the last 6 months and none of the guns were accurate measuring ice laying in an ice maker vs. a cooking thermometer laying in the ice makers I have here.
These were all low cost IR guns vs. the above $400.00 guns...the boss is too cheap to buy one of those! Laughing

A pot of boiling water also as part of the test. 212°.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

FWIW, the center of the wheels pretty consistently measure about 110 degrees F on my 2WD after a few hours of interstate driving and pulling into a rest stop in 70 - 80 ambient temps. I measure them with what appears to be the same temp gun as you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when I drove my 50 year old Corvette cross-country. The brakes were dragging, but they would only stick after you hit the brake pedal. They would eventually release after an hour or so. The root cause was the brake hoses. The inside was very restricted and would not allow pressure to release, like a check valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for all the new inputs and ideas. To answer a few questions:
- I agree IR guns aren’t the best. I read that they suck on reflective surfaces. I imagine they would really suck on ice cubes and water! However mine seemed to show consistency with the wheel hubs, front and rear. The front was much hotter and steamed water sprayed on it. The rear was not nearly as hot. Steam was coming out of the rear wheel well but there are coolant hoses, engine parts and exhaust parts down there that really steamed. I was very surprised with the front though, come to think of it, it could have been the coolant hoses there too. The wheels did dry from the center though, as seen in the photo in the original post.

MarkWard wrote:
T3TRIS wrote:

Curious, where did you get the idea grease needed to be there?

- I got the idea of grease from this article: https://edbee.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/syncro-front-wheel-bearing-installation-and-front-suspension/
I thought I had read about this trick elsewhere too but now I can’t find the reference. I also seemed to remember that the wheel bearings that were in there were quite gunky before I pressed them out, which would make me feel that grease there isn’t uncommon. Maybe that is my mistake.

I did the first test and lifted the front, everything still in place. The wheels spin without too much effort but there is resistance. I don’t hear resistance from the brakes such as a small hiss or scratch sound. If I try to spin the wheel with all my strength, it stops silently within the first second of letting go on the right side and just over a second on the left side. The wheel bearing that I think suspect is overpacked is the passenger side (the slightly tougher wheel to spin) though both sides have resistance. Here’s a photo I fished out:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Apparently there is such a thing as too much grease and I might be finding that out the hard way.

I’m starting to consider that these new bearings are probably shot, or on their way to be shot. And I most likely will have to press them back out (thanks again for all of you who insisted on me getting a press, and thanks for my partner Jennifer for actually buying the thing!!) which would destroy them anyway. Therefore I’m going to take the same drive I did last night but trying to use only the parking brake and see if the temperature is high again. At this point, if I drove for 120/140miles with that issue, I don’t think another 11miles will be catastrophic especially if I have to replace the bearings... again. I’ll do the test without wheels and brakes after that and keep everyone posted.

Thanks as always for all the help and inputs!

Last edited by T3TRIS on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Before you press them out, break the torque and re-torque them with a good wrench to get the spec value and see how they do.
You have nothing to lose as opposed to having to spend time and new parts.

T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Before you press them out, break the torque and re-torque them with a good wrench to get the spec value and see how they do.
You have nothing to lose as opposed to having to spend time and new parts.

Good point, thanks for the reminder as I almost forgot!!
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Drive test results for the 11 mile loop. I stopped at different intervals, measured the temperature right next to the axle nut and later on the CV cage. I didn’t use the brakes (it’s sketchy and dangerous in town!!). Outside temperature was between 47° and 49°

Results:

0.25 miles, less than 10mph
Right side: 66°

1.5 miles, no faster than 35mph
Right side: 90°
Left side: 70°

3.5 miles, no faster than 35mph
Right: 100°
Left: 80°

6.3 miles, about 2.5 miles at 60mph
Right: 126° (CV cage: 112°)
Left: 100° (CV cage: 115°)

8.5 miles, about 2 miles at 55mph
Right: 123° (CV cage: 115°)
Left: 100° (CV cage: 115°)

11 miles, 2.5 miles no faster than 40mph
Right: 119° (CV cage: 117°)
Left: 97° (CV cage: 111°)

I’m now back home and don’t wish to drive around without brakes anymore!! I also clearly need to make the rear brakes work better.

It seems that the hub heats up as soon as I start driving. It gets hotter and stays hot with slowish but still freeway speeds (only about 4 or 5 miles driven at freeway speeds). The right side (the one packed with more grease) is consistently about 20° warmer than the left. CV temps go up also but seem to be more comparable from left to right. The more I look at these numbers, the more I suspect the bearings and overpacked grease... apparently 20° worth of over packed grease if that’s the case.

I also redid the spin-wheels-by-hand-test before taking the wheels off, about 20min after getting home. As hard as I can, left side takes about 2 seconds to stop spinning, right side about 1 second until it stops with no discernible brake drag sound I could hear

Now onto the other tests.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

okay, it's running 20F hotter than the other side. still not at a critical value in terms of lubricity so why not just drive it a whole bunch and see what shakes out. or off. sounds like you're committed to new bearings anyway so there's no loss to just driving it a bunch before you do this.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
okay, it's running 20F hotter than the other side. still not at a critical value in terms of lubricity so why not just drive it a whole bunch and see what shakes out. or off. sounds like you're committed to new bearings anyway so there's no loss to just driving it a bunch before you do this.

It’s not that bad of a mentality if I have to swap bearings anyway, however I wouldn’t want a cooking bearing to also heat up the front CV joint unnecessarily and cook the grease in there too... having a front bearing go out to on a Syncro is also a pretty big ordeal, more so than on a 2WD it would seem though I don’t have any first hand experience. A good friend of ours is re-doing the front end of his 2WD and our vans are somewhat similar, so is his use (he uses his 2WD probably harder off-road than most Syncros out there!!). It’s been fun doing this in parallel and he too seemed to agree that the Syncro is significantly more involved.
Again, I’m not too opposed to running it as is but, besides the front CV comment, I also wouldn’t want to have an un-reparable failure in the field happen when we eventually go camping off-road. It’s just tough to figure out right? Could be fine for a while, I could put 500 miles on it next week just driving around and then it fails on the first real trip... I’d rather test it and fix it in a more controlled environment.

As far as testing goes, I got the brake calipers off and spun the wheels by hand again. They stop spinning in virtually the same time as with the calipers on (1 second for the right, 2 for the left). I think that pretty much eliminates the brakes as a suspect, too bad...

I’m going to loosen the axle nut a little next and see how that spins before taking the steering knuckle off.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

i think youve squeezed the bearings too tight

i think someone else also mentioned it - but break the torque on the axle nuts. get a torque wrench and go to the spec value w/o giving it a little extra kick Smile

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

While the calipers are off see if you can move the pistons with finger pressure.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot lug nuts and hub after Syncro front end rebuild Reply with quote

Took me a while to break the axle nuts loose because I wanted to see what it would take to make them loose. I marked my breaker bar every 4 inches, chocked the wheels, set the breaker bar level with the ground and stepped on it as gently as I could, horizontally from a ladder. I weigh in at 185lbs for this test.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jennifer was kind enough to indulge me and take this silly photo! I did my best to really transfer from the ladder without adding any downward force besides my weight. I used one finger inside the van against the pillar to help me balance. I tried my best to place my feet centered on the marks, which is tough at 12” since there isn’t much space with the tire, tippy toe!

I messed up a little on the driver side and stepped first on the 16” mark. I was able to balance for a second or two before the nut started backing slowly. That should roughly equate to 246lb/ft to break the driver side loose.
On the passenger side (which is the more problematic side anyway), I started stepping on the 12” mark. Nothing happened. I stepped on it again, 3 times total with no move. I did the same 3 attempts at about 14”, then 16” with no move once again. Then I tried to move my step just one inch at a time. Again, 3 attempts at 17”, 18” and at 19”, the axle nut broke loose and the breaker bar hit the ground. The left side was so slow I was able to step off the breaker bar. The right side, I just landed on the ground. That equates to roughly 292lb/ft to break the nut loose. I don’t know if tightening a nut (especially locking ones with indentations like these) to a given torque requires more torque to break loose. But again, I, myself, am not a calibrated torque wrench but I believe this theory of body weight kinda works. And if so, as Sodo was pointing out, I was within ±50lb/ft.

I tried spinning the wheels directly after, same resistance. I spun them again with the nuts backed of 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn and a full turn, again, same resistance: 1 second for the right wheel to stop spinning, 2 seconds for the left side. Same thing after 2 and 3 full turns: no change in resistance. Interestingly, the driver side nut, the one that slowly came loose, is tougher to unscrew.

Last edited by T3TRIS on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: