Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Faulty starter?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am bench testing my starter before installing the tranny since it occasionally refuses to click at cold start.

When I test it with my spare battery, it spins initially then slows down and finally stops after a few seconds. After a few rounds I checked the battery and the voltage dropped from 12.6v to 12.3v and the starter does not spin any more after that.

Is the starter supposed to drain the battery so fast in just seconds? The solenoid does work and pops the gear out even if it's not spinning.

Thanks,
Michael
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

I'd find another test battery. With no load, I'd expect the battery to recover quickly. Also, I'm surprised the starter is not working with no load at 12.3 volts. Its the solenoid that completes the starter circuit as well as flicking the bendix gear out. Unfortunately, I think the bosch starter solenoids are factory crimped, so not so easy to remove and take apart.

So, no help. Sorry.
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Thanks. Did try with another battery and some behavior Sad

Michael
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

That does not sound correct. The starter should work 100 times. Since it's been intermittent, I wouldn't waste any more time on it at this point.

Go to Westy Ventures and buy his TDI starter adapter and harness. Then get a TDI starter and never look back.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

^^^^^ i'll second that motion.

just went out to start the 87 and take it for a spin as i haven't ran it for a couple months. such a joy to hear that confident cranking sound, even with a battery that wasn't topped up.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Go to Westy Ventures and buy his TDI starter adapter and harness. Then get a TDI starter and never look back.

That's what I did when my starter died. I found a used starter at a used parts reseller. The totoal of the TDI adapter plus the 2nd hand starter was less than a new stock starter. On top of that my starter cranks faster, and if it fails, i can just get another used one for cheap.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Unless it is a fried armature or windings....... I fix mine.

Likely culprit, brushes.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Just came back and all 3 part stores I visited said their machine told them vanagon starter needs to be tested in the car. Just to be sure my test is valid, I connect the jumper cable + to starter B+ terminal and groud to starter mount edge. Then I bridge B+ terminal and the solenoid spade with remote starter cable.

@djkeev, how do you open the starter? I am thinking to keep my old starter and play around it just for fun.

Thanks,
Michael
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Parts schematic of generic starter, just start pulling bolts and screws .....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

the old OEM starters are eminently rebuildable. that is their strength. i've got 2 good cores to maybe rebuild. but once you experience the TDI upgrade, you don't want anything else. just the SOUND alone is so intoxicating.

as i've said before, i'm a cheap SOB and do the deep dive to rebuild things. the TDI starter upgrade wins.

in short, it is R-R-R-R-R-R vs R..r.R..R.r.R..r or something or other!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Quick question for the TDI starter. Looks like its B+ terminal is shorter than the original one. Will I able to fit the original alternator and battery cables on it? I know I have to change the ignition switch wire connector and I hope that's the only change.

Thanks,
Michael
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

no that large terminal on the alternator harness needs to go but this is a good time to upgrade the alternator wiring to help get more amperage from the alternator to the battery.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

It's like a never ending quest Cool . At first I just want to replace that leaky rear main seal. Then added flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing and input main seal. During the process I found my CV boots, various shift rod boots and bushing are shut. Just this morning I found my starter is bad and now adding alternator wiring upgrade to the queue.

Consider it served me well during our last death valley trip I'll go ahead and do them all Laughing

Thanks,
Michael
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

On some starters ( not sure which??) I think the armature rubs on the magnets if theres no bushing supporting the end.
Can you do a valid starter test if the armature is rubbing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this....
A built-in “starter failure point” on a 30-40 year-old Vanagon.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

Good point. Let me bolt it on the tranny and test tonight!
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty starter? Reply with quote

It spins strongly when bolted on the tranny! Thank you so much for the pointer.
I feel like an idiot by not researching more before testing. I hope I did not damage the starter with the improper test Sad.

Thanks,
Michael
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: