Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vehicle Alignment Report
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

I noticed some wear on the outside of my tires after rotating which prompted me to get an alignment.

Here is the Vehicle Alignment Report:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The mechanic said he maxed out the camber adjustment for the front left tire and wasnt able to bring it into spec.
What would cause that?

I'm running stock springs and 15" wheels with 215/75/R15 BFG T/A BFG tires. And the front suspension is tight and well maintained.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

You don’t mention if the suspension is stock. It’s possible the upper control arm bolt was installed upside down, but don’t have any experience how that would affect camber. I have to check the manual every time I have a bolt out. Can’t trust my memory.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

Worn UCABushings can mess up alignment
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

Sorry, everything in the suspension is stock but recently replaced with poly bushings.

I'll take a look at the UCA bushings to see if there is any play.
There doesn't appear to be any..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

Why didn't they bring the caster into spec? That MUST be done first, before any other adjustments. They were pissing in the wind if they didn't do that.

That's why I always print out a copy of the alignment procedures from the Bentley, and state out loud that the caster must be done first.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:
Sorry, everything in the suspension is stock but recently replaced with poly bushings.

I'll take a look at the UCA bushings to see if there is any play.
There doesn't appear to be any..

Did you pay attention when you put the bolt back? There is a top and bottom. For some reason vw designed it so you can not rotate the bolt 360 degrees like most camber bolts. The manual specifies the correct orientation on assembly.
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

Excellent question Mark.. I'll check and see how its oriented tomorrow.

fxr, they were closed today but I'll give them a shout tomorrow and ask in which order they performed the alignment.

Thanks for the input.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Alignment Report Reply with quote

Looked in the manual page 40.18a. The camber washers are installed with the Lobe on the bottom. Like I said, not sure if it makes a difference or not. It's too bad you can't rotate the bolt 360 degrees.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: