Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

I have 1 single Rivnut that's still holding into the body on my 1.9 Heatshield, allowing it to be tightened. The others are rusted to the bolts and just spin. Sooo, now with my all new motor mounts, I get the heatshield rattling on start up until the metal and exhaust warm up enough ,and the rattle stops.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I did a search for this issue, but didn't find any repairs listed.
If I remove the Cat and Muffler again, I figure I can:
[1] option-Spot weld with my MIG, a single bead of weld on the Rivnut, hoping it locks to the body, allowing the rusted bolt to be removed, without breaking the weld.
[2] Option, cut all the damn seized, spinning Riv-Nuts nut and install larger Rivnuts or at least new ones. Adjust size of slots in Heatshield if needed for new, larger bolts
[3] option I haven't heard of , or thought of...thoughts from Samba???
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

Many of the heat shield bolt holes are slots. I think the design was that it could be removed and installed without completely removing the bolts. So, you might be able to work the shield out of the way.

For a fix, rivnuts have their place, but if you want something more permanent, get some 6mm flange nuts. You can remove the rivnut and open the hole some to accept the 6mm flange nut. Then take your welder and weld the flange to the rear valance. Some paint to prevent rusting and they should out last the shield.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

i just went thru this on my 84 while pulling the engine.

on the rear valance you can just barely see the stupid things. if you have needle nose vice grips you may be able to stop them from spinning to remove the bolt then just drill the bastards out

volkswagen does it...again

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

Grind the bolt heads off and then just push them up out of the way and install new ones.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Many of the heat shield bolt holes are slots. I think the design was that it could be removed and installed without completely removing the bolts. So, you might be able to work the shield out of the way.

For a fix, rivnuts have their place, but if you want something more permanent, get some 6mm flange nuts. You can remove the rivnut and open the hole some to accept the 6mm flange nut. Then take your welder and weld the flange to the rear valance. Some paint to prevent rusting and they should out last the shield.
My bad Mark, I should have added that the seized ones are already loose from the Heatshield, so it's fully removeable. That's how I was able to do my motor mounts in the first place, only 1 bolt was really holding the shield onto the body at one end. It looks like someone got several of them down, but not fully removed, and THEN the Rivnuts probably hung up on the rust at the ends of the bolts, breaking the crimped grip on the sheetmetal.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i just went thru this on my 84 while pulling the engine.

on the rear valance you can just barely see the stupid things. if you have needle nose vice grips you may be able to stop them from spinning to remove the bolt then just drill the bastards out

volkswagen does it...again

Link
See my notes to Mark above, shield is removeable, so I have options, I like Wildthings' idea too... Cool
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Grind the bolt heads off and then just push them up out of the way and install new ones.
This is basically my option [2] that I laid out, and it's an attractive one since my shield is removeable and won't be in the way. Thanks again... Smile
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

i have a loose one and am ignoring. that is my solution.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Heatshield loose Rivnuts Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
i have a loose one and am ignoring. that is my solution.
I wish I could, but dropping the heatshield down to service the mounts, and the reinstall, plus new cold engine rattle from the shield means it's glaring at me... Razz Razz Razz
Not a hard job, plus all my exhaust hardware that needs to be removed is brand new with copper anti-seize and new copper nuts.
I 'could' cut flat washers into slotted shims, and hammer them under the loose /seized bolts...... Wink Wink Wink
But, the room needed to do that is basically remove the rear exhaust anyway, so might as well do it right the first time..... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: