Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Wiring Diagram
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Toolbox

Thanks for the info, I think it's rather odd the blinker is grounded via the wiper switch, but trust the Germans to know what they are doing. Also thanks for the link to wires and their codes. Very informative!

Thanks again
Jeff

The blinker ground has nothing to do with the brown wire in and out of the TS switch. It's only function is to control the cycling of the headlight relay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
When you turn the key to start (engage starter motor), does the auto-flashing change at all?

No change at all

To test the brake light, you can touch the two brake light switch wires together, or get a jumper wire between the two.

I do believe the "Gremlin" has been discovered. It is hiding in the master cylinder switch. Jumped the two wires-flashing stopped! Yeah

Sounds like your harness is for a '67, if it has provisions for a dual circuit master cylinder, with dual brake light switches.

This winter I am planning on installing a dual circuit master cylinder so hopefully that will remedy the switch problem

Thanks again Split 66 for hanging in there with me. I owe you a beer or two!

Jeff

Always happy to help if I can.

Just to make sure you're done with this problem for good: when you jumper the two brake light switch wires together (equivalent of stepping on brake pedal), the auto-flashing now stops, but does the second filament on the brake light bulb light up (dual intensity)?

When you remove the brake light jumper (let the brake pedal up), does the auto-flashing problem start again? If so, it makes me think the rear running lights, are connected to the Emergency flasher somehow, maybe one wire in the wrong place?

Hope all is well, and I'm just overthinking this.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

With the jumper wire on the master cylinder jumped both filaments in the left tail on, but on the right tail light only one filament lights up!

Also the license plate bulb does not light, that could be ground issue.

When I remove the jumper wire the flashing continues!

I’ll check all my connections up front again soon, but it might be a few days!

Thanks again

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

No second-filament lighting on the right brake light, and no license plate light, are good observations, that should be useful the next time you get out there.

If you have the dual switch connections for the master cylinder, I'm wondering if you also have the reverse light connections, for the nosecone on the trans, and the clear/white '67 reverse lights.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

No wire included for back up light Switch!

I’m wondering now if I have the correct 2 wires connected for brake light, but doubt that would be it.

Checked if I had continuity on license plate light to fuse panel and I do,perhaps a grounding issue

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Split 66

With the jumper wire on the master cylinder jumped both filaments in the left tail on, but on the right tail light only one filament lights up!

Jeff

Try swapping the connections to that taillight at the bulb holder, and/or make sure the bulb is in the holder correctly with regard to the upper/lower small tabs on the bulb holder and bulb itself.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

The strangest symptoms can occur when the grounds are dirty (oxidized, corroded, fresh paint), or missing entirely. If you can get the License light going, perhaps that same ground problem is related to the right tail light. Also what BonTonRoulet said, the right tail light socket may have a problem with the wiring, and or grounding.

I've smashed my right tail light wiring with my battery once or twice through out the years, make sure nothing got dinged when the battery got installed.

If you can locate the second-filament wire, for the right rear bulb, by shorting the brake connections, and hunting for the signal, you should be able to determine if the problem is in the socket, or at the dash/turn signal.

How well do your running lights work?

Keep up the great work!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Backup light harness is all its own and connects to the ignition power at the coil.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Took out the right rear taillight and cleaned up all contacts as well as where I have the ground attached to the outside of bulb housing with a hose clamp. Works great now, just like it should.

License plate light also had a bad ground basically thru the hinges. I ended up attaching the ground wire to the inside of the engine bay directly above the rear door frame.

All the parking lights work great, blinkers all work,headlights bright and dim both work. I also have both interior lights working.

But when I detach the jumper wire on the master cylinder the constant flashing/blinking with key on it continues! Grrrrrrrr

Thanks again
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Try swapping the connections to that taillight at the bulb holder, and/or make sure the bulb is in the holder correctly with regard to the upper/lower small tabs on the bulb holder and bulb itself.

Thanks, I’ve got the wires and bulb configured correctly now
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

That is amazing that everything works correctly when the Brake pedal is down, but not up!

When the brake pedal is up, and your rear lights are auto-flashing, is it only one filament on the rear tail lights that are blinking?

If you were to disconnect the Emergency flasher (J1) ground, or K wire to the TS, do the tail lights still blink?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

[quote="Split 66'"]That is amazing that everything works correctly when the Brake pedal is down, but not up!

When the brake pedal is up, and your rear lights are auto-flashing, is it only one filament on the rear tail lights that are blinking?

If you were to disconnect the Emergency flasher (J1) ground, or K wire to the TS, do the tail lights still blink

Split 66

Just finished moving 10” of snow! Spring cannot come fast enough!

Brake pedal up auto flashing begins both filaments light up/flash!

My ground I believe is the screw holding the flasher in it,s mount. Is this what you meant?

I don,t see a K wire I have a KBL?

Sorry, just not following here on my end, sorry!

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Wow, did I not read your post thorough enough!

K wire from emergency flasher removed and it (gremlin) still flashing!

Thanks so much for your assistance! It’s driving me insane what the issue could be, unless it’s a bad 9 pin box!

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

FYI- I don’t have any wires hooked up in the engine bay yet!

Going to install the engine once I locate the wiring issue

Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

I'm starting to believe your 9 pin, or Turn Signal indicator, may be defective.

The next thing I would do, is to remove the Turn Signal control board from the metal housing on the steering column, and probe with your meter, HL and HR, which are the two rear tail light flasher wires. You should see the pulsing voltage going to HL and HR with your meter. If you can then probe to see what's creating this voltage, and what pin is it originating from, I think you'll finally have your answer.

I admire your tenacity, and have no doubt you'll get this fixed correctly. You're getting really close to finding the gremlin now.

Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Thanks for the comments and suggestions again!

Not an electrical wizard (as if you didn't figure that out yet), so probing
around the turn signal for me is iffy, esp if I have to then trace a wire down.

But I'll give it a try. I did take a digital (cheap) and touched a few wires in there and got a flash-flash. Not sure if it was hl or hr, since they are not marked.

I'll trudge around and see if I can find a culprit

Many, many thanks
Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

To probe for DC voltage on HR and HL in the TS control board, you'll want to put one probe on either HL, or HR to start, and the other probe on bare metal, like under the horn button in the steering column, or where the speed cable comes through the parcel tray on your dash. A painted surface will impede if not kill the ground signal, bare metal is best.

You'll want to have the key on, Brake pedal up, with the auto-flashing on the rear tail lights blinking. When you measure the rear tail light - HL across ground, and then HR across ground (to bare metal), you should see the voltage pulsing and supplying the auto-blinking at HL and HR, with 0-12V rapidly cycling on the meter. That same signal should be at both HL and HR, as both are lighting up. The goal is to then see where that pulsing voltage is coming from. The arrow in the pic below is where I'm guessing the auto-flashing voltage is coming from, and getting into the tail lights, but it's only a guess. The red square is where the 0-12v has to be coming from, one of those three posts. If you can locate the origin of the mystery voltage, you'll know if it's a TS, or 9pin problem.

You can then move the probes to the TS board points: 54S1 to ground, and 54B1 to ground, to see if the voltage is there too.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

I just went out and looked at the wiring to the 9 pin flasher box, new and recently purchased from WW, in my '66 (September 65 build) standard Microbus and there is no wire connection to terminal KBL on the 9 pin box and everything works fine. '66 was an odd year with regard to the hazard lights/flashing dash knob. You're sure your flashing knob isn't pulled up and out to turn the flashers on? I found with mine, after removing the knob and switch from the dash, I had to blast the switch out with starting fluid after removing the knob and stem, and then exercise it *sharply* several times with the knob and stem back in place to finally get it's attention and start working again after a lonnnnngggg slumber since being put in service some 55 years ago and probably rarely used in it's lifetime. So long in fact I was ready to throw it in the trash after cleaning it to no resolve but the next day it came back to life.

I also seem to remember now that I am thinking about it from several months ago, seems there was a very very small O ring or other type of insulator.....perhaps it's design was to be an insulator or maybe just something to keep trash out of the switch itself...... around the threads of the emergency flasher knob stem, at the top of the threads and base of the knob stem, where it screws into the switch. I'm not one to bet, but wouldn't it be something if that wasn't your culprit?
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
To probe for DC voltage on HR and HL in the TS control board, you'll want to put one probe on either HL, or HR to start, and the other probe on bare metal, like under the horn button in the steering column, or where the speed cable comes through the parcel tray on your dash. A painted surface will impede if not kill the ground signal, bare metal is best.

You'll want to have the key on, Brake pedal up, with the auto-flashing on the rear tail lights blinking. When you measure the rear tail light - HL across ground, and then HR across ground (to bare metal), you should see the voltage pulsing and supplying the auto-blinking at HL and HR, with 0-12V rapidly cycling on the meter. That same signal should be at both HL and HR, as both are lighting up. The goal is to then see where that pulsing voltage is coming from. The arrow in the pic below is where I'm guessing the auto-flashing voltage is coming from, and getting into the tail lights, but it's only a guess. The red square is where the 0-12v has to be coming from, one of those three posts. If you can locate the origin of the mystery voltage, you'll know if it's a TS, or 9pin problem.

You can then move the probes to the TS board points: 54S1 to ground, and 54B1 to ground, to see if the voltage is there too.

Split 66
Pulsing achieved at both HL & HR points!

The mystery voltage appears to be coming from the 54F pin on the 9 pin!

I’m also receiving a pulse at both TS board points 54S1 & 54B1 to ground. Hopefully I had located both points on TS board correctly!
Thanks again

Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
I just went out and looked at the wiring to the 9 pin flasher box, new and recently purchased from WW, in my '66 (September 65 build) standard Microbus and there is no wire connection to terminal KBL on the 9 pin box and everything works fine. '66 was an odd year with regard to the hazard lights/flashing dash knob. You're sure your flashing knob isn't pulled up and out to turn the flashers on? I found with mine, after removing the knob and switch from the dash, I had to blast the switch out with starting fluid after removing the knob and stem, and then exercise it *sharply* several times with the knob and stem back in place to finally get it's attention and start working again after a lonnnnngggg slumber since being put in service some 55 years ago and probably rarely used in it's lifetime. So long in fact I was ready to throw it in the trash after cleaning it to no resolve but the next day it came back to life.

I also seem to remember now that I am thinking about it from several months ago, seems there was a very very small O ring or other type of insulator.....perhaps it's design was to be an insulator or maybe just something to keep trash out of the switch itself...... around the threads of the emergency flasher knob stem, at the top of the threads and base of the knob stem, where it screws into the switch. I'm not one to bet, but wouldn't it be something if that wasn't your culprit?

BonTon

Thanks that is interesting! On my 9 pin I have a blue-grin wire connected that goes to speedometer lights!

I did un hook my emergency switch and the flashing still occurs!
Now that I have out I’ll clean it up with some starter fluid. Interesting about the “O” ring, but makes sense!

Thanks so much
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: