Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KDF Speedo Pod?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

August 1943 would have had a bakelite standard ignition lock. Within the past ten years or so similar dashes covered in the same oily crud have appeared and sold for thousands. What makes it interesting it is quite often the same seller or lives in the same town. Also similar other items are posted by the same guy with again the same oily crud. How many oily cruddy gauge clusters from 1943 can one guy have? This guy has had maybe 5-6. He NEVER says it is original in the ebay listing, only that it it fits a Kübel. I would never buy this unseen for this money, all this stuff is available as repro. Like Martin said, not too long you could buy a Kübel for this money, I paid about 2K for my first Kübel in 1993, numbers matching engine and drivable ready to enjoy. I vote for fake alert.

Martin Southwell wrote:
These photos should help you make up your mind! Note that there is even a KDF key.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
These photos should help you make up your mind! Note that there is even a KDF key.

Well that shows that the green light is on the left, not the right, and shows the cogwheel logo. Thanks Martin.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

For this pod pic, I also wonder if it was actually in a VW factory, or at the place that made the pods (the Circle K logo that is on them).

The circled K logo belongs to the German electromechanical component manufacturer KOSTAL, who is still located in Lüdenscheid/Germany. Still on the international markets with electrical connectors etc.
Did also supply split bug dash starter buttons and semaphore switches, oval era light switches etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I don't think a Kubel would have had a 100km speedometer.

To my understanding Type 82 Kübelwagens normally had a speedo through 100 km/h and only civil bugs KdF-Wagen type 60 had an individual speedo until 120 km/h.

Here a foto of such an ultrarare original KdF-Wagen speedo. Indicator is also totally different compared with Kübel. The pod is KdF, knobs are originals, too.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

interesting stuff!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Kdf pod Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

This one does look messed with. Screws on the back of the switch shafts indicate that it had been taken apart and tapped at one point (should be peened over rivet ends, like the switches on Sweden's pod.) The bus bar between the headlight switch and ignition switch looks homemade, and something was going on with the wiper switch, the upper rivets on the backside look drilled (should be flat) there is solder on them and the cross bar seems to be missing. If someone paid nearly 6KE for that, they got screwed.

Sweden, what is up with that ignition switch in you last pic? The keyhole.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

This pod is restored by Jacek and is to a Kubelwagen type 82 thats why the keyhole is different.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: