Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Hazard Lights on early beetles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Hazard Lights on early beetles Reply with quote

Somewhere in your circuit, their is continuous continuity between both lighting circuits regardless of if the hazard switch is on, or off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Hazard Lights on early beetles Reply with quote

charlitoss wrote:
I realized that using the turn switch also lights up all 4 lights. Sad
Since then I can't stop thinking about how to solve it, and so far, I don't have a solid idea to test.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are three places in your diagram where the L and R circuits come together...
    Turn signal switch
    4-wire switch
    5-prong relay

Each of the above must keep the L and R circuits isolated from each other when the 4-wire switch is OFF. It is only when the 4-wire switch is turned ON that the L and R circuits are powered at the same time.

To isolate where the problem is, start by disconnecting the HL and HR wires at the 4-wire switch. Now test your turn signal switch. If the L and R lights work normally, you know it was the 4-way switch that was bridging them together. If that did not work, reconnect the wires to the 4-wire switch and disconnect the L and R wires from the 5-prong relay. Retest the turn signals. Do they work now? If so, it means it is the 5-prong relay that is allowing the L and R circuits to bridge together.

If the above troubleshooting does not ID the switch or the relay as your cause, it may be the turn signal switch itself. Disconnect the L (VL and HL) wires from the turn signal switch and put the turn signal switch into the right turn position. The right side lights should flash. While the right side is flashing, place a test lamp or voltmeter on the VL and HL terminals and check for voltage coming from the turn signal switch. The switch should not power the left side terminals when in a right turn. Do the same test but with the R side wires disconnected. At no time should the turn signal switch power BOTH the L and R sides, except for the rear lamps when the brakes are ON.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
charlitoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Hazard Lights on early beetles Reply with quote

Thank you Ashman40!
The problem, like you said earlier in the thread, was the 5-prong relay. The output terminals (87 & 87a) are connected and not isolated. This means that when use the turn signal switch the signal goes to the relay and powers both right and left front turn lights (not all 4 lights, my bad!).
Since I wasn't able to get a 5-prong relay with isolated outputs, I had to add an additional single throw relay on one of the output cables from the 5-prong relay. This way, I'm able to isolate the circuit when the turn signal is used.

Thank you for all the help! I already finished the wiring and everything works!
Here's a photo of how it looks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
HarrysRatBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Hazard Lights on early beetles Reply with quote

Hope it's ok to piggyback on this. This is how I got 4-way hazards in my 64 that was already converted to 12 volt. Already had the switch from a 69 Beetle, it came with a box of parts I got with the car. It's a 211-953-235A. Searched and found new one at Cip1 and it had the wiring instructions on the page with it. Wired it up that way and it works great! The only light in or on the car not led is the one in the hazard switch. The only problem is the escutcheon is bigger than all the others and the actual knob looks out of place. Gonna try to fab, mix and match to get something to look better but I'm open for suggestions!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: