Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted"
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Hi all, I have been struggling with a problem on my freshly built 1700 T4 in my 1974 bus. The engine is a CB code case
One head is stock rebuilt the other is AMC new replacement.
The pistons and cylinders are COFAP and the pistons are domed 10cc.
Lifters are solid, pushrods are stock, rockers stock
Dual solex 34 PiCT carburetors (not originals)
Pertronix flamethrower distributor.
Aftermarket camshaft from european motorworks "C" grind
Static compression 150-165psi

The issue Im having is that when I adjust the valves with #1 at TDC the engine will not run and i get suction back into the exhuast. If I adjust #1 lash with the rotor pointing at #3 and then continue lashing in the firing order the engine will run. If I swap all of the wires around to switch #3 and #1 after adjusting the valves this way the engine will not run. Any ideas would be appreciated
trailrunnerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Is the distributor installed 180* off?

Take a pic if you can, id like to see where the vacuum can is with your current location.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

The distributor IS installed in the "wrong" orientation with the vacuum can pointing at the breather can ( or #2 cylinder) but I swapped the wires on the cap to compensate for that. [/img]
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Look at what your valves are doing. When at TDC for #1 neither valve for the #1 cylinder should not move as you rock the engine back and forth 45° each side of center, while for #3 the valves will move.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I verified that the valves do not move on #1 when i rock the engine back and forth. I also pulled the #1 plug and made sure the piston is all the way up. The way it is running now (with the valves lashed 180 out) there is a ton of lash at TDC, but like i said, if I adjust them with #1 at tdc i get suction back through the exhuast. Im starting to wonder if my camshaft is clocked incorrectly as the new one came with the gear seperately and I installed it to match the stock camshaft gear orientation with the lobes and used the dots to mesh it to the crankshaft.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

which direction is the fan rotating when you are getting suction on the exhaust, clockwise or counter-clockwise?
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

The fan is turning clockwise
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

how are you figuring out that the exhaust has suction? Are you putting your hand over the exhaust and cranking? Is it spitting fuel back up thru the carb etc.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I put my hand over the exhaust and felt it suck my hand in. It will start and run on cylinders 2&4 like this but 1&3 are totally unresponsive regardless of wire placement. Just to recap, i set #1 to tdc by lining the mark on the fan up with 0 on the scale, visually verified that the piston is at the top and rocked the fan back and forth to see that #3 valves both moved and #1 do not. Then i adjusted #1 then turned the fan 180 degrees cw then #4 then turned another 180 then #3 and then another 180 and then #2. My strobe light shows #1 firing 8btdc.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

If you can physically feel suction up the exhaust, A) I applaud your physical devotion to your VW, and B) it sounds like you need to check your cam timing. Get the degree before/after TDC that the intake and exhaust valves open and close. We can compare that to stock and aftermarket cam profiles to make sure your gear is bolted on correctly and dots are dotted.

Extremely loose valve adjustment could delay valve actuation, which could help mask a cam timing issue.

Have you looked at all four spark plugs?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Is your distributor drive gear oriented correctly?

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

No, the gear was not oriented properly because i was trying to clock the distributor so that the vacuum can had room to move. I was under the impression that as long as the rotor is pointing at the correct terminal on the cap at the right time then it will work regardless of drive gear orientation. I am pulling the drive gear back out to make the rotor point to the notch on the rim of the distributor with #1 at tdc. Also, my rotor turns clockwise, i hope this is right as i did change the brass drive gear on the crank as well.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

74 Westy wrote:
No, the gear was not oriented properly because i was trying to clock the distributor so that the vacuum can had room to move. I was under the impression that as long as the rotor is pointing at the correct terminal on the cap at the right time then it will work regardless of drive gear orientation. I am pulling the drive gear back out to make the rotor point to the notch on the rim of the distributor with #1 at tdc. Also, my rotor turns clockwise, i hope this is right as i did change the brass drive gear on the crank as well.
Distributor drive makes no difference none. It is a factory setting for distributor mark and plug wire orientation.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

False info, the drive gear clocks the dizzy to the cam. Crank/cam/dizzy must all be aligned.

bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
False info, the drive gear clocks the dizzy to the cam. Crank/cam/dizzy must all be aligned.
The distributor drive gear drives the distributor off the crankshaft. The cam gear drives the cam off the crankshaft. Being that the distributor can rotate 360 degrees it's indexing is not critical.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Jeff Geisen wrote:
The distributor drive gear drives the distributor off the crankshaft. The cam gear drives the cam off the crankshaft. Being that the distributor can rotate 360 degrees it's indexing is not critical.

The clocking of the drive matters, especially if you are running a DVDA distributor. You can not correctly set the timing if the drive is installed too far off as the vacuum can limits how far you can turn the distributor body. There are multiple good reason for the book alignment spec.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bsairhead wrote:
Jeff Geisen wrote:

The clocking of the drive matters, especially if you are running a DVDA distributor. You can not correctly set the timing if the drive is installed too far off as the vacuum can limits how far you can turn the distributor body. There are multiple good reason for the book alignment spec.
I disagree. I have had 12 vw aircooled vehicles including type 3's and type 4's all you need is 44 degrees of movement to locate the distributor to the next or last plug hole.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

BS, airhead.

You’ve been misled.

74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I reclocked the drive gear to the factory position and the rotor now points at the notch on the distributor lip. Still running on 2&4 and surprisingly well. I took note of what each vakve is doing with #1 at tdc.
#1 intake closed exhaust closed.
#2 intake closed exhaust opening
#3 intake opening exhaust closed
#4 intake closing exhaust closed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: