Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Really doesn't matter that the drive gear is in the "wrong" place. What does matter is that the rotor transfers the spark to the distributor cap and ultimately the spark plugs at the right time. So if you clocked the distributor drive gear to give you more clearance for a non stock vacuum can, as long as it can be timed correctly, you are good. And if your timing light shows spark on number one at 8 degrees before TDC, I think it's ok.
However, since number one has spark but isn't running, this is a puzzle. You are setting your valves at around .006 ? I bet you are, but I just had to ask, as I can't think of anything else that would do what you are experiencing except a camshaft that isn't right, either miss timed or mis manufactured. Or, here's a Longshot, are we sure that pertronex is working properly? I have had a lot of trouble with aftermarket electronics. If you don't have a points distributor to try, I may have a spare 009 distributor I think I can put my hands on. It's all wrong advance curve wise, but if it runs on all 4 with a properly timed 009, then it isn't the camshaft. That's the only other thing I can think of. Like I said, its a longshot, but if you want to borrow it, P.M. me. We are in the same city.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
BS, airhead.

You’ve been misled.
Tell me how padre, the post I responded to said the distributor drive and the cam orientation are related, they are not. You say that the distributor drive must be in a set position, it does not. Yes it is nice to have the distributor drive indexed but unless your scared to move the plug wires once round it makes no difference.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

One thing that crossed my mind was that the guy at european motorworks said that when #1 is at tdc #3 would have a lot of lash, but thats not the case here, #3 rockers are both tight like its in overlap
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I did actually install my 009 but i got the same result. The only way this thing will run on all 4 is if i lash the valves starting on #1 with the rotor pointing at #3 meaning that each cylinder has bookoo lash at tdc.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

74 Westy wrote:
One thing that crossed my mind was that the guy at european motorworks said that when #1 is at tdc #3 would have a lot of lash, but thats not the case here, #3 rockers are both tight like its in overlap
Lets verify tdc. Rotor point to #1 plug wire next wire clockwise is 4,3,2
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

74 Westy wrote:

The #3 rockers should be loaded on #3 when the crank is at TDCC for #1. Turn the crank 15° or so to either side of TDCC for #1 and one or the other of the valves on #3 should have lash.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

You can go down the distributor drive oil hole with a remote inspection camera to see if your dots are aligned. Are you feeling lucky that you got your slot and dots aligned on the cam/gear itself?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I know the dots on the crank and cam are aligned, the dot and the slot on the cam, not so sure. I did not know that was a thing at the time and i eyeballed it based off how the lobes and dot on the stock cam lined up.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I turned the fan about 90 degrees before #1 tdc before #3 intake loosened up and about 30 degrees after before the exhaust loosened up.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Will i be able to see if the dot and slot on the cam are aligned through the distributor drive gear hole with a camera?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

74 Westy wrote:
I turned the fan about 90 degrees before #1 tdc before #3 intake loosened up and about 30 degrees after before the exhaust loosened up.

That does not sound right. Crying or Very sad
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

bing, yahoo, 4search, duckduckgo etc "printable degree wheel." Print one to match the size of the fan. Then rotate the engine to TDC on #1 when the distributor is pointing to #1, and tape it to the fan so that you can tape a metal pointer - piece of wire etc., at TDC. Then as Robbie suggested determine the valve timing on #1 and see how close it is to the published specs. That will answer the question for sure.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

74 Westy wrote:

Are you using the stock plastic or metal timing scale? You can not use the parting line for the engine case as per Type 1 engines.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I don't think you can put the cam gear on the cam in the wrong position. I am pretty sure the holes in the cam and gear are not evenly spaced and will mate in only one position.

One of the problems with not having the distributor drive meshed correctly with the brass gear is that it makes trouble shooting running problems that much harder. Most engines I work on for others have their ignitions out of time for one reason or another and are often way off, having the drive installed wrong and the spark plug wires rotated just adds to peoples' problems with getting these engines to run right.
goodliving25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I had a Pertronix only fire on 2 cylinders before. It would only fire on 1 and 3. If you have another dist. drop it in and see if that fixes it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Pertronix ignitions that skip firing certain cylinders have always had a magnet rod missing from the collar that slides onto the dizzy drive shaft from my experience.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I don't think you can put the cam gear on the cam in the wrong position. I am pretty sure the holes in the cam and gear are not evenly spaced and will mate in only one position.

One of the problems with not having the distributor drive meshed correctly with the brass gear is that it makes trouble shooting running problems that much harder. Most engines I work on for others have their ignitions out of time for one reason or another and are often way off, having the drive installed wrong and the spark plug wires rotated just adds to peoples' problems with getting these engines to run right.

I just checked that a couple months ago. It is correct, the holes only align one way. They are not evenly spaced.
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I looked up the specs for my cam.
Intake opens 32 BT close 56 AB Exhaust opens 67 BB closes 21 AT

My actual findings were similar but not exactly the same, am i looking for when the valve visibly starts moving or when the valve is all the way open ?
74 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

I did a little experiment. I reinstalled the 009 exactly to factory specs, started the engine with the valves correctly adjusted per the manual and it started and ran on just 2&4 again. So i decided to do the 180 backwards adjustment on just 1&3 and leave 2&4 alone. It starts and runs on all 4 like this albeit poorly. I decided to check the compression in this config. 1&3 read 150-160 2&4 read 120. Not sure if this makes any sense. Next up trying to make it run backwatds on two cylinders 😂
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1700 t4 will not run with valves "properly adusted" Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Thank you Dale for just uploading this picture. The firing order is always 1-4-3-2 so when you're at the TDC mark on your pulley and both valves are closed at #1 then you can make your plugs fire in the proper order.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: