Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end drop. How much without cutting?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Front end drop. How much without cutting? Reply with quote

What’s the most I can drop the front end, avoiding rubbing, without narrowing the beam? 1”? 1 1/2”?
Just new drop spindles, or what’s needed?
I’m keeping the stock 15” wheels.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop. How much without cutting? Reply with quote

I used an adjustable, stock-width beam to lower the front end of my `63 about one inch. I run stock wheels with 165/80-15 tires, and have no rubbing, even at full lock.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front end drop. How much without cutting? Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:
What’s the most I can drop the front end, avoiding rubbing, without narrowing the beam? 1”? 1 1/2”?
Just new drop spindles, or what’s needed?
I’m keeping the stock 15” wheels.

With stock wheels and small tires, you could easily lower it without any body mods until the front apron starts hitting road obstructions. Disc brakes, aftermarket rims and wide tires is where things start rubbing.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop. How much without cutting? Reply with quote

This is the 64 I owned years ago. Stock width adjustable beam dropped all the way down with 135s. I had no rubbing issues.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop. How much without cutting? Reply with quote

It depends entirely on your tires. With 165/80r15 you can barely lower it at all without rubbing. They can even rub at stock height at full lock without adjusting the steering stops. On my '70 with a stock width beam, stock 4.5" wheels, and 175/55r15 tires it doesn't rub at all even if you drop it down to pan scraper height.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end drop. How much without cutting? Reply with quote

Most drop spindles push the wheels out 1.5" so yo have to go with small narrow wheels.

If you go with an adjustable beam you can get much wider tires.

Try stopping quickly or taking a tight turn fast with 145s... it's gonna be scary.

I have a 3" drop with 195/55-15s on 5.5x15 alloys.

Compared to a stock original car.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: