Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Hi everyone, new to the group. I have some bay window buses but Finally picked up my first split window today. I’m trying to figure out what year it is. There is no plate behind the seat but there are numbers stamped there (1392**). It also has a tag near the engine but no vin number there. There is a number stamped below the tag though (20-1447**). There is no tag riveted up near the roof vent either. Would the number stamped behind the seat be considered the body tag? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by NoBusNoGlory on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950??? Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
Hi everyone, new to the group. I have some bay window buses but Finally picked up my first split window today. I’m trying to figure out what year it is. There is no plate behind the seat but there are numbers stamped there (139213). It also has a tag near the engine but no vin number there. There is a number stamped below the tag though (20-144782). There is no tag riveted up near the roof vent either. Would the number stamped behind the seat be considered the body tag? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nice find, (20-144782) is a post barndoor, sept 1955 bus. This is a pretty cool brochure that illustrates the differences between barndoor and post barndoor buses... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/55attn_all_servicestations.php Also, all the info you'll need is over in the split bus forum and here... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827 Post some pics if you get a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950??? Reply with quote

Moved to Split Bus for you...

Nice find!

Yes, it's a Bus from 9/55, making it a '56 model.

Here's some pics he posted:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How the rear of it?
I'm curious if the taillights have been hacked or "upgraded".
It's a common thing to happen over the years
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! I was confused thinking that the barn door buses were referring to the side doors and not the large rear engine door....is it not referring to the side doors as a barn door bus? I’m new from the bay window world. I will try to get pics of the rear tomorrow 👍🏻
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
Thanks for the help guys! I was confused thinking that the barn door buses were referring to the side doors and not the large rear engine door....is it not referring to the side doors as a barn door bus? I’m new from the bay window world. I will try to get pics of the rear tomorrow 👍🏻

You've got it, the barndoor is referring to the engine door, its even more confusing when its a barndoor single cab or ambulance, but it is was it is. Noticed the semaphores on your bus, unless they had them in Canada too it's a euro import.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Euro bumper, euro headlights, hacked in turn signals, and those wonderful slots in the body behind the doors... Hmmm, European model maybe? haha
Awesome find!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

House wrote:
Euro bumper, euro headlights, hacked in turn signals, and those wonderful slots in the body behind the doors... Hmmm, European model maybe? haha
Awesome find!

The Jokon you, those aren't hacked in turn signals Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

House wrote:
Awesome find!

I missed the Euro headlights for some reason but weird that it has a later model but still Euro bumper on it.

It makes me wonder if someone brought it over to the USA later in its life... or just a coincidence that someone found a 66-67 Euro front bumper for it.

Driver's mirror is super funky too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

MIGHTY NICE!! Must have been locked away in a barn by Granby to escape all rabid Bus hunters on the front range. More pics please.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
House wrote:
Awesome find!

The Jokon you, those aren't hacked in turn signals Wink

If it is a euro bus, the blinkers would have been added after 1961. Could still be "hacked in".

For the new owner: this bus would have had "pressed bumpers" not the newer style, euro or not.

Semaphores go into the slots behind the doors, and are available for sale all the time.

In short you could delete the "new blinkers", maybe insert them in the headlights?
install pressed bumpers
install semaphores
install the original tail lights, which are also available for sale, just not cheap.

it would look MUCH different from a later bus.

here is a link to a 56 euro 23 window bus showing you bumpers, semaphores and taillights.

https://oldbug.com/rhd20three.htm

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Tell us about the hole in the roof...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Nice find! Subhatch Campingbox?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Nice find! Subhatch Campingbox?

Definitely has curtains. Need to see some interior pics.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

^^ one more vote for interior pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

2x

velvetgreen wrote:
^^ one more vote for interior pictures

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Last edited by NoBusNoGlory on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info so far everyone! This site and all of the knowledge you guys have is great! I’m going to try to get some tires on it tomorrow so I can roll it around and hopefully get it cleaned out so I can tell what all is there and how bad the rust is. I did find the rear engine door inside. Also have an engine but I believe the engine that I have for it is a 1958. My friend got there before I did and ended up with an engine case and I’m wondering if it wasn’t to this bus. Going to try and look into it. Also I read that the first Westys were imported in 1956. Since this one was manufactured in 1955 and is a 1956 model year do you think it might be a possibility that it could be a westfalia? Thanks!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the pics, but the hatch opening doesn’t quite look right for a Westy subhatch. Need better pics Possibly the metal hatch is gone and someone adapted some sort of homemade hatch to it.

If it is though, you’ve stumbled on to a real treasure.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

cool find.

Definitely not a westfalia. There is nothing westy about that bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 Bus find Reply with quote

Also I am unable to find a tag behind the seat on either side BUT there is a 6 digit number stamped behind the passenger side seat. Any ideas?!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: