Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
We Sell Ice wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

You'll be happy to know that I've been in touch with an indiviual at "Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Map Collection and Image Archive Ludwigstr. 16 80539 Munich" and they said

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

We're looking for photographs of this bus and will write you back.

Best regards"
--------------

That's interesting. Stabi (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek) is just some kilometers down the road. Would be nice to hear what they are answering to your request.

Seeing "Stern", this is what comes to my mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Diaries (publishing an reselling fake nazi stories)

But as the magazine is still sold today there must be some fans around.

As popular as VW buses are for advertising props now, why wouldn’t Stern want this bus ? They could sell a lot of magazines just by buying it, digging into the history of it, and chronicling the restoration. When YouTube videos of the recovery of ordinary buses get several million views, why not one once owned by a famous news organization ? I’d be surprised if they pass on it.

Why would they care? It's just a vehicle to them, with no real significance (unless something is dug up) to any big events. Like Braukuche says, it would be much cheaper to just get a done bus and wrap it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
We Sell Ice wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

You'll be happy to know that I've been in touch with an indiviual at "Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Map Collection and Image Archive Ludwigstr. 16 80539 Munich" and they said

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

Best regards"
--------------

That's interesting. Stabi (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek) is just some kilometers down the road. Would be nice to hear what they are answering to your request.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Diaries (publishing an reselling fake nazi stories)

As popular as VW buses are for advertising props now, why wouldn’t Stern want this bus ? They could sell a lot of magazines just by buying it, digging into the history of it, and chronicling the restoration. When YouTube videos of the recovery of ordinary buses get several million views, why not one once owned by a famous news organization ? I’d be surprised if they pass on it.

Because it’s a total terd and needs everything.
It’d be cheaper to buy a done bus and do a wrap.

Well, yes, they could. I considered that. But it wouldn’t be “the” bus.
Authenticity is everything.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
We Sell Ice wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

Best regards"
--------------

Based upon the article posted....not sure authenticity is their strong point....

...waiting for my STERN talking to...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
We Sell Ice wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

Best regards"
--------------

Based upon the article posted....not sure authenticity is their strong point....

Yes, Stern appears to have been far ahead of CNN, MSNBC and Fox ...they were peddling fake news way back when. I wonder if The National Inquirer had a VW bus...
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Buseric are you the leader of the VW trash talk cult? Why don't you get lost already. You aren't contributing anything to this thread. I really hope you can find something better to do with your time than stalk this thread and not contribute any real knowledge or ideas or at least positive words. You obviously don't care about the history of this bus. You know where the door is. Get a life

Last edited by NoBusNoGlory on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Got my second bus from Germany today! This one being the Brekina "Der Stern" bus. Couldn't help my self! I expected it to be a little bit bigger for $35 lol made the trip from Norderstedt Germany!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
Got my second bus from Germany today! This one being the Brekina "Der Stern" bus. Couldn't help my self! I expected it to be a little bit bigger for $35 lol made the trip from Norderstedt Germany!

HO is 1:87, basic math. All Brekina buses are that size. no surprise here. most popular model train size in Germany.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
I expected it to be a little bit bigger for $35 lol

That's what she said.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

HO is 1:87, basic math. All Brekina buses are that size. no surprise here. most popular model train size in Germany.

Hahaha, Yeah, those Brekinas are tiny!
I was surprised the first time I saw one in person after only seeing pics.
Probably a good size to sit right in the open ash tray holder
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950? Update: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
Here are a couple pics of some of the stuff coming out of the bus. Found a few random parts and pieces, a red star, many many many old checks written out from the previous owner in Aspen, CO, some old camping supplies and of course a “Mushroom Growing in the United States” book haha more to come! Also noticed German words printed along the tops of the curtains!

Blue Baron, interesting idea! That might definitely be a possibility! Been trying to find out it’s history and maybe some old photos of it but still nothing. Going to hopefully get the data sheets and birth certificate ordered this week!

Nice find. Good luck no matter which way you go with it. Sorry for thread drift
but what’s the deal with the C-190/195 in the background of the pic with all the misc. stuff?
Is that a Maule in the foreground?
Cheers,
Dave
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Wow, the little Bus is just awesome ( that would make selling the real thing really ,really hard for me). Old mushroom books often have much better information than new ones ( that list every damn mushroom as "dangerous").

Thanks for sharing!
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

rag63 wrote:
but what’s the deal with the C-190/195 in the background of the pic with all the misc. stuff?
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave! Good eye! I have the bus over at my parents place and my dad is an IA and A&P mechanic. He buys, sells, trades, annuals and restores airplanes. I help him work on them and get to go all over the country helping retrieve them. Thats one of his Cessna 190 projects and yep a Maule! He has all kinds of neat stuff. Worlds first offshore turbine powered offshore race boat (1966 Thunderbird they call it), 1943 Staggerwing D-17, 1929 Curtis Robin, countless other planes and classic cars. I'm starting a high end pawn shop is why I'm even considering selling the Stern bus. Have even stranger stuff like full taxidermied African lion, African elephant, white rhino, water buffalo, kudus etc etc etc for the shop lol Buying impractical cool/weird hard to find stuff runs in the blood!

Manfred58sc wrote:
Wow, the little Bus is just awesome ( that would make selling the real thing really ,really hard for me). Old mushroom books often have much better information than new ones ( that list every damn mushroom as "dangerous").

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Manfred58sc, yeah definitely thought it was super awesome to find the brekina! Couldn't help but order one haha. But I guess every type of mushroom could be dangerous on a case by case basis!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
rag63 wrote:
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave! Good eye! I have the bus over at my parents place and my dad is an IA and A&P mechanic. He buys, sells, trades, annuals and restores airplanes. I help him work on them and get to go all over the country helping retrieve them. Thats one of his Cessna 190 projects and yep a Maule! He has all kinds of neat stuff. Worlds first offshore turbine powered offshore race boat (1966 Thunderbird they call it), 1943 Staggerwing D-17, 1929 Curtis Robin, countless other planes and classic cars. I'm starting a high end pawn shop is why I'm even considering selling the Stern bus. Have even stranger stuff like full taxidermied African lion, African elephant, white rhino, water buffalo, kudus etc etc etc for the shop lol Buying impractical cool/weird hard to find stuff runs in the blood!

Manfred58sc wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Manfred58sc, yeah definitely thought it was super awesome to find the brekina! Couldn't help but order one haha. But I guess every type of mushroom could be dangerous on a case by case basis!

This bus would be good advertisement for your future business. Sounds like you have other items you could liquidate for a bit of cash. Or just spruce up your building as revenue allows. Did your parents name you after the founder of a certain light airplane manufacturer out of Wichita ?
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

This bus would be good advertisement for your future business. Sounds like you have other items you could liquidate for a bit of cash. Or just spruce up your building as revenue allows. Did your parents name you after the founder of a certain light airplane manufacturer out of Wichita ?

That's true but I have a 1942 GMC firetruck with a bill board built onto the back that I'll be turning into a sign/advertisement for parades etc. The Stern probably belongs back in Germany, just need to find the right home for it. Have to get the building done ASAP though because right now I'm running my business from home and having a storefront would definitely help me out in the long run. Haha it would make sense that they named me after Clyde Cessna but I asked and nope! They just randomly named me Clyde LOL. I just got back from New Mexico with my dad. Went down there for a 1946 Cessna 140 (my brother and me are going partners on it) and trailered it home. Made for a long day. 7 hour drive there, disassembling the airplane, loading it and then driving home and getting back at 4am! Love the adventures though
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Buy it now!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124713309971?hash=item1d0...kc-SC4CRSs
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Buy it now!

That’s a cool bus, i dunno, maybe $25k is a little high? But it’s a semaphore Wolfsburg with legit though faded out corporate logos. Where you going to find that these days?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

as we all predicted. Laughing
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Buy it now!

He had it listed on Facebook Marketplace and a couple of aircooled groups where he would resort to name-calling and talking down on anyone who had an issue with his price which at the time was around $30,000.

Eventually he turned off the comment feature.

Anyways, that thing is absolutely not worth $25k. Justifying it by saying "Well find another one" can be said about literally any other bus in the world. No bus is identical to the next one, does that mean they're all worth a premium? Nah.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

sled wrote:
as we all predicted. Laughing
Laughing I feel better now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: