Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

When these guys beat you down enough and break your spirit let me know I’ll give you 10k for it.

Maybe go ahead and list it for sale so Linda Grunthaner can post it in the good deals thread and we can talk about it there too.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Sigh. Always with the negative waves. Lol. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu2ug--bFPI

These buses are so exceptional in so many ways. I drive one of my buses pretty much every day. Whether it’s just to work, to the store, moving a large item, or perhaps just to drive it for the sheer enjoyment. Or a road trip across 3 states. Or, I decide to go off road. In a bus, I can do that. One made it through the Rubicon. I can even go around the world in it and it not need a drop of water. For something designed before and first sold in 1950, they ride and drive very modern, very pleasant. Still relevant and useful after 70 years. Not to mention, their history, iconic styling, and being seen by many as an objet d’art. When you drive one, you feel a bit more free.

Every day on my 15 mile commute, without fail, at least one person slows down alongside , gives a thumbs up and a big smile, then accelerates away. Some even a friendly horn toot. I love that. Maybe they didn’t smile all day until then. They probably don’t even realize all the attributes of buses listed above...but they know they’re just freakin cool.

So yes, this is a significant bus. But, so are they all.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
When these guys beat you down enough and break your spirit let me know I’ll give you 10k for it.

Maybe go ahead and list it for sale so Linda Grunthaner can post it in the good deals thread and we can talk about it there too.
Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
BusEric, Braukuche and touchNicksthing (weirdo) whether you agree or not isn’t going to change anything. It’s a one of a kind bus, has one of a kind history and you will not find another. Wait til I get the data sheets, birth certificate and title. I HAVEN'T EVEN LISTED IT FOR SALE and the high offer Ive recieved so far is $20k. The right person in Europe would probably give me €30,000. I’m fine with storing it til I can get around to it someday, I don’t really even care if it never sells. Been considering one of my other toys and keeping the bus. If I do sell it though...it will be advertised on eBay, barnfinds, and on a couple of pages over in Europe eventually. Probably not here. Too many haters and neigh-sayers that think they can dictate what my asking price is because we all know that they’ve owned a “Stern” bus before. This doesn’t have plumbing logos on it or your neighbors handyman business. This bus has Europe’s largest New Magazine's name and logo and the company still happens to exist to this day. Not only have they been involved with global news but the founder of "Stern" (Henri Nannen) was in the SS and was a Nazi propagandist in 1938 and had an earlier news source before starting "Der Stern" in 1948. If it was originally purchased by him it makes it even that much more of a diamond in the rough. This bus has real history as well as it being a Wolfsburg bus that spent some of its life in Germany. Get a life BusEric don’t have anything better to do that creep on peoples forums? Must be a boring life. Don’t like my price? Don’t like my bus? Then why even waste your time. That’s the problem with these forum pages, a couple know-it-all members cult together and try to beat a guy up about what he has because they in fact are jealous and probably cant afford it. They will team up on you and make it appear your item has no value so one of them can scoop up a super rad bus that you wont find anywhere else for dirt cheap. I've had 9 buses now and the only reason I finally made a samba account was to get help with the history of this bus because it truly is special. Been trying to avoid people like you!

Okay, bud I will leave you alone. Lord knows I could never afford a bus with historical significance like this, especially if it has the data sheets, birth certificate AND a title! Laughing Even more so if it costs €30,000 and needs nearly that much again put in to it.

Best of luck with the sale, or sitting on it, whichever you choose to do. Its a cool bus for sure and I hope it gets resurrected, but the valuation is bonkers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
[quote=Okay, bud I will leave you alone. Lord knows I could never afford a bus with historical significance like this, especially if it has the data sheets, birth certificate AND a title! Laughing Even more so if it costs €30,000 and needs nearly that much again put in to it.

Best of luck with the sale, or sitting on it, whichever you choose to do. Its a cool bus for sure and I hope it gets resurrected, but the valuation is bonkers.

Yeah Buseric, your valuation is bonkers. What bus are you comparing it to? Because I have yet to see another bus that's even slightly comparable. Hypethetically if someone were to buy this bus for $30k and put another $30k into it and did a good job restoring the bus and keeping it's history with it. What would it be worth on your planet?
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Who cares what they’re worth, money wise. Neither of you get it. Why’s it always about the money? To the OP, this bus fell in your lap, it picked you, fix it up and drive it!! have you ever even drove a split bus? .......but if you’re just gonna stick it in a corner and not do anything, and someone legit offered you $20k, then take it and get to Vegas before your lucky streak runs out...don’t be greedy ....and if a 23w happens to fall in your lap then it will happen, whether or not you sell this bus. Have a little faith. Just bear in mind, bus finds are getting very infrequent. This bus might be your 15 minutes...
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

"Quote"
If I do sell it though...it will be advertised on eBay, barnfinds, and on a couple of pages over in Europe eventually. Probably not here. Too many haters and neigh-sayers that think they can dictate what my asking price is because we all know that they’ve owned a “Stern” bus before. This doesn’t have plumbing logos on it or your neighbors handyman business. This bus has Europe’s largest New Magazine's name and logo and the company still happens to exist to this day. Not only have they been involved with global news but the founder of "Stern" (Henri Nannen) was in the SS and was a Nazi propagandist in 1938 and had an earlier news source before starting "Der Stern" in 1948. If it was originally purchased by him it makes it even that much more of a diamond in the rough. This bus has real history as well as it being a Wolfsburg bus that spent some of its life in Germany"

Meh, that History & logo's you can barley see don't command a huge price. The fact the the company owner was in the SS does NOT seem like an enticement to buy, and being "Europe's largest News Magazine" Logo, who freaken cares, I'd rather SEE a logo, anything, "Maytag" "Sears & Roebuck"
Eggs, plumbing, as long as you can SEE the logo.
It's a 1955 Kombi w/ semi's, cool, that's it. The hole in the roof & the clapped out camping gear, and the faded logo's don't ad much $$ value......
" A couple pages over in Europe Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
buseric wrote:
[quote=Okay, bud I will leave you alone. Lord knows I could never afford a bus with historical significance like this, especially if it has the data sheets, birth certificate AND a title! Laughing Even more so if it costs €30,000 and needs nearly that much again put in to it.

Yeah Buseric, your valuation is bonkers. What bus are you comparing it to? Because I have yet to see another bus that's even slightly comparable. Hypethetically if someone were to buy this bus for $30k and put another $30k into it and did a good job restoring the bus and keeping it's history with it. What would it be worth on your planet?

About $30k. Lol. Thats the problem. For the record, I also own a '55 euro kombi, also with a hole in the roof, except the hole was put there at the factory and the camper kit in mine is real westfalia. There is a valuation difference.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

I hope he gets top dollar, just makes mine worth more.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
I have yet to see another bus that's even slightly comparable.

Dude you are making me laugh over here. First off, you didn't even know what you had when you started this thread so your comment of "I have yet to see another bus" holds zero weight since you wouldn't know another if you saw it.

Secondly, you have a kombi that has tons of rust and a cut hole in the roof, and is missing both correct bumpers, middle and back seat.... on and on we can go. Nothing is special about this bus except that it *might* have been owned by a magazine company. Unless you have pictures of your bus in use by the magazine and/ or have documented history, then you have a run of a mill kombi. The only thing going for it is that it is an early Wolfsburg bus that was originally delivered with Euro specs.

If someone truly offered you $20k for it, you should take the money and run and not look back. Your bus needs $30k in metal and metal work alone, not including paint or missing parts.

Its yours so do with you want with it. Burn it to the ground for all I care. Just realize that the people here are trying to help you out.
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

[quote="von_hansel"]
NoBusNoGlory wrote:
If someone truly offered you $20k for it, you should take the money and run and not look back. Your bus needs $30k in metal and metal work alone, not including paint or missing parts.

Its yours so do with you want with it. Burn it to the ground for all I care. Just realize that the people here are trying to help you out.

Vonhansel, I have yet to see another bus like this means I have spent the past two weeks searching/reaching out to people and haven't found anything close yet. Except of course the die cast toy made by Brekina. BUT they had to get the design somewhere.

You'll be happy to know that I've been in touch with an indiviual at "Bayerische Staatsbibliothek,Map Collection and Image Archive Ludwigstr. 16 80539 Munich" and they said

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

We're looking for photographs of this bus and will write you back.

Best regards"
--------------

Hopefully I get a picture of a bus over in 1950's/1960's Germany of a reporter with a camera standing out of the hole in the top.

$30K?! for metal and welding??? Laughing Maybe if you go out of your way to find the most expensive shop near you. Most VW people I personally know have the skills or have a buddy that is good at it and can help repair. It wouldn’t cost $30k for metal work.

To the people that have been helping and cheering me on along the way, thanks a bunch! I truly appreciate it. To all the neigh-sayers though, I don't know why you're still here if this is in fact "just another bus".

Last edited by NoBusNoGlory on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
About $30k. Lol. Thats the problem. For the record, I also own a '55 euro kombi, also with a hole in the roof, except the hole was put there at the factory and the camper kit in mine is real westfalia. There is a valuation difference.

Sounds like a sweeeeeet bus! Congrats! Is the camper kit original? Fact of the matter is, my bus is 1 of 1 as far as history goes (prove me wrong). I can ask $100k for it (I wouldn’t) or $10k for it (not enough, I need to at least make some money on it or what’s the point in letting it go?) Ultimately It's up to me what I am willing to accept and what's not acceptable. Someone out there could value it at $200k. Show me something that’s actually comparable. I’ve been searching and searching. Haven’t found anything yet
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

I love you too vw7266 Wink

vw7266 wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.

Last edited by LAGrunthaner on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

if i am not mistaken every bus is a one of one..... Very Happy
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
if i am not mistaken every bus is a one of one..... Very Happy

This is true - there is no other bus in the world fitted with the same UK license plates as mine! It's got to be worth $100k at least!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:
buseric wrote:

Sounds like a sweeeeeet bus! Congrats! Is the camper kit original? Fact of the matter is, my bus is 1 of 1 as far as history goes (prove me wrong). I can ask $100k for it (I wouldn’t) or $10k for it (not enough, I need to at least make some money on it or what’s the point in letting it go?) Ultimately It's up to me what I am willing to accept and what's not acceptable. Someone out there could value it at $200k. Show me something that’s actually comparable. I’ve been searching and searching. Haven’t found anything yet

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476952
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBusNoGlory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

Quote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476952

Thanks Toolbox!! Yeah I saw that bus! Super awesome! I've been talking to Nick and Andre about it a bit. Pretty unique also!
We Sell Ice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

NoBusNoGlory wrote:

You'll be happy to know that I've been in touch with an indiviual at "Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Map Collection and Image Archive Ludwigstr. 16 80539 Munich" and they said

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

Best regards"
--------------

That's interesting. Stabi (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek) is just some kilometers down the road. Would be nice to hear what they are answering to your request.

Seeing "Stern", this is what comes to my mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Diaries (publishing an reselling fake nazi stories)

But as the magazine is still sold today there must be some fans around.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

We Sell Ice wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

You'll be happy to know that I've been in touch with an indiviual at "Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Map Collection and Image Archive Ludwigstr. 16 80539 Munich" and they said

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

Best regards"
--------------

That's interesting. Stabi (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek) is just some kilometers down the road. Would be nice to hear what they are answering to your request.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Diaries (publishing an reselling fake nazi stories)

As popular as VW buses are for advertising props now, why wouldn’t Stern want this bus ? They could sell a lot of magazines just by buying it, digging into the history of it, and chronicling the restoration. When YouTube videos of the recovery of ordinary buses get several million views, why not one once owned by a famous news organization ? I’d be surprised if they pass on it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: September, 1955 “STERN” logo Bus find Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
We Sell Ice wrote:
NoBusNoGlory wrote:

"Hi Clyde,

Thank you for your mail.

Best regards"
--------------

As popular as VW buses are for advertising props now, why wouldn’t Stern want this bus ? They could sell a lot of magazines just by buying it, digging into the history of it, and chronicling the restoration. When YouTube videos of the recovery of ordinary buses get several million views, why not one once owned by a famous news organization ? I’d be surprised if they pass on it.

Because it’s a total terd and needs everything.
It’d be cheaper to buy a done bus and do a wrap.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: