Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Touch up paint in a spray paint can
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Touch up paint in a spray paint can Reply with quote

There are several vendors that provide touch up paint based on original paint codes/colors. Some come in small spray paint rattle cans, from what I understand. However, I haven't had any success finding L227 Strato Silver premixed in a spray paint can, much less pre-mixed in a small bottle with an applicator wand, as I have found for my other non-VW cars.

Question is, does this exist anywhere for old VW colors? Specifically, L227 Strato Silver in a little rattle can? I want to spray my "new" semaphore arms and I don't need much paint, but I need it sprayable. Or am I relegated to a paint supplier for a minimum quantity of paint and using a detail sprayer?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Touch up paint in a spray paint can Reply with quote

you should be able to get a modern paint mixed to code easily enough.
My local car quest mixes PPG paint. you might have to give them the PPG code for Strato silver 31550. if not, take your glove box in for them to scan.

Finishmasters is a company ive used before that can make a 2-4oz touch up paint by code. they ship to you as well.

if they cannot put in a rattle can for you, just have a pint mixed up ($25-30) and use a $5 Preval Sprayer to apply it.

If you want 2k paint, and need reducer and hardener, ask a local body shop to buy the CCs needed to spray your covers. Buy a couple plastic syringes from the drug store, or the farm supply store and use those to draw out the fluid needed. take a couple appropriate containers to put the chemicals in.

paying the body shop $10-20 Bux for a bit of the real stuff is better than having to pay for a full bottle which is $100+. make sure they use the same paint type as you bought.

You can also Buy from TCP global, autocolor library. they mix paint to factory code in several types of paint... Even Lacquer! I just bought a Quart of 57 Lowlight Lizard Green in Lacquer, and got it in 2 weeks. Lacquer is simple and easy to use, spray, and reduce. Strato silver is in thier library as well.

Hope this helps
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Touch up paint in a spray paint can Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I'll check into those options.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: