Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding middle window
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone knows if there is a seal kit available for this window? Or what could be used as alternatives - both for main groove seal and the "hairy" ones

Also - any good tips how to disassemble it (and yes, later on assemble back) ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

I was under the impression that those used a stock window to body seal, that's what mine look like anyway.
The felt seals also look like an off the shelf item, did you check Just Kampers or other online sellers?
72 Baja
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
I was under the impression that those used a stock window to body seal, that's what mine look like anyway.

Correct, and can use either "Deluxe" with chrome:
221-845-321B

or standard/camper/commercial without chrome:
221-845-321A

--

I'm curious what has been done about the internal fuzzy strips as well; mine are surviving, for now…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

for the fuzzies you want M-D 04267 5mm x 6mm x 17 feet.

as noted, the frame to body seal is standard issue for a glass seal.

internal seals between the glass and frame are out there, i just forget where

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

Those windows are the same as used on Vanagon. Vancafe has some parts for them.

https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Sliding-Window-Parts-s/4304.htm
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

JimmieH wrote:
Those windows are MOSTLY the same as used on Vanagon. Vancafe has some parts for them.

vanagon windows are bigger but it's the same overall design

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
JimmieH wrote:
Those windows are MOSTLY the same as used on Vanagon. Vancafe has some parts for them.

vanagon windows are bigger but it's the same overall design

Thank you for the correction. I wasn't aware of the size difference. The parts offered by Vancafe might be a solution for Bay Window though.
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

Thanks so very much. Yeah I should have specified at first that I am looking for the inner seals, I know the outer one is the same as regular glass seal

This M-D 04267 seems to be exactly what is needed, muchos gracias Smile

And I assume the vagon seal will still work on bay

Now the next question - how to replace the seals? Can the frame be opened? I know there is a "cut section", can I just pry it a bit open so I can remove the sliding glass? Or is there any special trick and how to get it back into shape later on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

dooker wrote:

And I assume the vagon seal will still work on bay

which vanagon seal?

the outer frame to body will NOT because the vanagon window is BIGGER. the internal U shape slider seals should work with trimming.

the frame CAN be opened but it's an epic cockmaster job.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9470777#9470777

the fixed window is basically silicone schmoo in place. you have to be careful to keep the ends 100% aligned when you close it back up.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

the frame CAN be opened but it's an epic cockmaster job.

Being not the sharpest one in the bunch I thought myself "how hard can it be". Now after process I will share some pics, maybe someone can make a use of it

So this is where I started

First I hammered out the bottom piece that has lock slots - it's held in place with silicon

Next was the vertical piece on fixed window - the same scheme. Held by silicone and rubber hammer with some piece of wood helped out

Then came the scariest part - splitting the frame. Again some wood for protection and I used oil jack just to gently apply the pressure. Sure enough I got it open and removed the sliding window

Fixed window is nicely siliconed in so it took sime time, hammering and pulling to get it out - was not easy

After that I hammered off the rail on sliding window

And gave all the parts some cleanup

As I was on the roll I ordered new glasses and seals - got the upper sliding seal from SerialKombi and weatherstrip first from Aliexpress but as that one turned out to be too small I got some larger version locally

Now it was assembly time. I fixed pieces back to glasses with silicon, added new seal, assembled everything together and let it settle for a night strapped with strap and vices to keep it nice in place. Also there are small plastic pieces under the rail - I was missing one and the other was quite worn I made a 3D model and printed them
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/cP6cP92Aj11-slider-window-rail
Please note that bottom groove is a bit snug and may need some modification

So this is the final product

And on the bus

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

Nice rebuild!

When I "rebuilt" mine, I didn't break apart the frame, that's epic and I wasn't not looking for that kind of adventure lol.

I did replace all the sliding felt channel, guides and vertical felt and cleaned/lubed the lock mechanism.

All parts came from vancafe.com, and I believe all the parts were Vanagon slider window parts. Window seal I used was the standard Cal look style from WCM.

Sliding window felt
Veritcal felt
Sliding window guides

Suppliers I used are all in the US, and I see you are across the pond...glad you could find the parts you needed.

This was before...I think I did a quick video but didn't ever edit it. After they slide really nice and don't leak!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding middle window Reply with quote

dooker wrote:
I thought myself "how hard can it be". Now after process I will share some pics, maybe someone can make a use of it

Nice work!, thank's for taking the time to share.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: