Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dashboard Fun
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Dashboard Fun Reply with quote

As most of you know, dashboard cracks are fairly common to the 412.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I was overjoyed when I was directed to a German website that had two dashboards in good condition for sale. At first I thought they were too expensive. But on the recommendation of my restorer, I decided to go ahead with the purchase. I carefully selected the dashboard based on the pictures. However, when the dashboard arrived, I soon realized that they had sent me the wrong dashboard, i.e. for a 1969 411 rather than for the 1973 412. Now the fun began.

Shipping was 125 Euros each way so they did not want to do a straight exchange. Finally, being the reasonable person that I am, I agreed to buy the other dashboard if they would ship for free. So here it is...I've got 3 dashboards in various conditions!

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Fun Reply with quote

One thing you will find....once you pull the fascia plates away and the knobs, switches and instruments out.....is that there is no "significant" differences between early and late. Except for the rectangular knock out for the 1974 "fasten seat belts" sign......all pf the recesses and most of the cut throughs in the outer pad are already there for the wide variety of knobs and switches.

You may hage to drill through the metal in some locations....but typically its all there. You can simply swap on the outer metal fascia from the year you have and no one will know.

So when you find dashhoards in good shape....dont worry too much about the year.

One interesting question......or point.....is that all of the dashes I have found here in the US....have a round, molded in....indentation on the lower area on each side of the steering column.

If memory serves.....the metal behind these areas has the proper indentation....for switches. I am guessing....that they may have been there for fog lights or other equipment.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Fun Reply with quote

My original dashboard has both optional switches drilled out. The '69 dashboard does not come with those extra spots for the switches. The late model dashboard that just arrived comes with an original orange fog light switch. It also comes with the timer for the auxiliary heater. So, all-in-all, I think I can put together a decent dashboard when all is done.

Walter
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Fun Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
My original dashboard has both optional switches drilled out. The '69 dashboard does not come with those extra spots for the switches. The late model dashboard that just arrived comes with an original orange fog light switch. It also comes with the timer for the auxiliary heater. So, all-in-all, I think I can put together a decent dashboard when all is done.

Walter

Ah...yes....that is the only difference I can be sure of between the early and late dashes is that the molded lower indentations are not there.

The one thing I am also not sure of....is whether on the early dashes....the dished indentation in the metal structure that the switches use...may not be there. It was there on the 1971's that came here....but not sure of earlier dashes.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Fun Reply with quote

That later style dash looks awesome. I'm glad it worked out and you got the extras as well.

You will really enjoy the heater timer. I've been using it for the first time this winter. It's great getting into a preheated car!

Lots of luck with the installation.

- Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: