Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low back upholstery/ foam
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

My take on the old argument stuffing: Fiber if you want the original VW feel and breathability- Foam if you want more daily comfort and don't mind the extra heat.

AND the coconut fiber pads smell SOOOO good - like a VW should back in the day Cool

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

The new fiber pads from WW don't shed. And if you need to fine-tune them with a shave here and there- just spray the area with light spray adhesive (hobby grade). Use a piece of waxed paper to rub off the stickiness.

My take on the old argument stuffing: Fiber if you want the original VW feel and breathability- Foam if you want more daily comfort and don't mind the extra heat.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

I put the jbugs kit in my 65' in 2003 and they are still exactly the same. Still perfect. I got the VHF " how to" also!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I replaced the seat pads in my '67 in 2005 and used the coconut fiber pads from WW. I placed a piece of burlap (actually an old horse feed bag) on the springs before I installed the pads. I have never had an issue with them coming apart in all this time.

X2 that’s exactly what I did on my 56 ragtop and my 56 vert probably 15 + years ago still holding up fine.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

I outfitted my ol' '59 with the TMI sport upholstery with black vinyl outers and a black tweed insert, and I love them.

One thing I should have done and that I strongly recommend for anyone doing their own work is to not use too much padding. I did so and should not have.

On my seats I used a burlap base, with a jute pad on top of that, with foam on top of that. I should have used just the burlap and foam. As a result, my seats look great (to me at least Smile), but the driving position is too far forward and it is harder to get in and out, though not terribly so. If I was any fatter or taller I'd be in trouble!

Best of luck,

Ted
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

I put the JBugs foam in my 64. Vastly nicer than the Sewfine ones and fit perfectly. I find foam seems less bouncy than the coconut fiber.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

I bought sewfines foam kit and I was disappointed in what arrived, foam cut to the size and glued edges. Guess I was expecting injected foam molding for the price I paid. I went with it reluctantly but final appearance turned out excellent so ultimately I have no complaints
EBSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Let me guess.. dont want to pay up for the foam kits.. Laughing

Really any high density foam will work.. Think memory foam...

It's not that I don't want to pay, I'm paying an interior guy to do the interior for the 54 3 fold I'm building my wife, I will also pay him to do the seats in my 52, I want to do these and I have heard mixed reviews on the kits. I also want to try my hand at it. More time than money at the moment but I doubt I will save anything doing it this way.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

Let me guess.. dont want to pay up for the foam kits.. Laughing

Really any high density foam will work.. Think memory foam.
You could even scavenge the junk yards and pull a parts and cut down flat seat cushions as required.
For a couple hundred .. the kits are ready preformed and fit..

The key to keeping all the coconut fibers from shredding is as exactly as mentioned above. .. something must be installed over the springs between the fiber pad and springs otherwise the springs will eat the fibers like a Coconut Macaroon
I've simply reused used the old seat cover material I am replacing.

You will need to do this with foam pads as well.. ..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

I replaced the seat pads in my '67 in 2005 and used the coconut fiber pads from WW. I placed a piece of burlap (actually an old horse feed bag) on the springs before I installed the pads. I have never had an issue with them coming apart in all this time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EBSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Low back upholstery/ foam Reply with quote

I'm going to be putting some TMI covers on a set of low backs, I'm looking for ideas of what foam others have used vs buying a kit. I absolutely won't be doing the horse hair or coconut because of the mess.
Any ideas or tutorials would be appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: