Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best looking bug you've ever seen
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65 L41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Here’s my favorite 65 95% done
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
65 L41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Here’s my favorite 65 95% done
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

I went back and looked at all three pages, twice. Each car is unique in some way, I like them all.
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Nice work, I assume you are a paint/ body guy!
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

https://www.oldbug.com/tizza65.htm
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Yeah the main reason i wanted to stay with the same color was because i didn't want to go through the hassle of doing the interior again. It's a ton of work. I think if i were going to go through all that i would just find myself a usable oval rag to restore. Which i really don't want to do either. Anyway. I got some of the car sprayed today. Tomorrow I'm doing the hood and decklid and hope to spray the fenders next weekend. Ready to get this back on the road.

Stunning job!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Thanks. Sure would have been nice to have had something new though. I may lay on some pinstripe or something to see if it changes it up.

I get it. I love both of my cars but just have been itching to change “soemthing” about them. The 60 bug has a great look and hasn’t been messed with much and I would feel guilty doing anything excessive. The Ghia has such an extensive paint job that I couldn’t afford what it would take to “improve” it. That’s what leads to wandering eyes and storage units.....
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Thanks. Sure would have been nice to have had something new though. I may lay on some pinstripe or something to see if it changes it up.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Beautiful.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Yeah the main reason i wanted to stay with the same color was because i didn't want to go through the hassle of doing the interior again. It's a ton of work. I think if i were going to go through all that i would just find myself a usable oval rag to restore. Which i really don't want to do either. Anyway. I got some of the car sprayed today. Tomorrow I'm doing the hood and decklid and hope to spray the fenders next weekend. Ready to get this back on the road.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Was checking your gallery and saw you have it gutted. Couple of interior mods that I’ve seen that looked slick were installing the “standard” style headliner where it’s just down the middle with the rest painted. Also saw a beetle that has the center trans runner smoothed and painted body color. I think with the tweed seats it would bring some “pop” of color into the interior.

I would agree about the taillights. Not that my opinion matters. Of course I’ve also always dug frenched taillights, but they seem to be kind of out of style these days.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Biting my tongue^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

When i first built my car i was really into street rods. That's why i welded all the trim holes shut, went with one piece windows, changed the taillights, took the bumpers off, and chose this paint color. If i had it to do over i probably would build it closer to stock. I still would have changed the stance and wheels, but i wouldn't remove the chrome and bumpers and certainly wouldn't put one piece windows in. It's just not worth it to me to go through all the work to put that stuff back on though. I also really like the car as it is, i just thought i may do something different with it while it was at this stage.
I am going to put VW taillights back on though. Probably going to go with earlier lights because i like them better than the 65's.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Popcorn the range is all over the place. But I bite my tongue.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Thanks for all the pics guys. I have decided to stay with the same color. I already spent $700 on paint for it, and the interior is still in good shape (although it is starting to show its age). I most likely will be changing out the wheels to something else, but i don't know what yet. I may stick with 15's because i will need to find some food sticky rubber to handle the power. That said, i haven't looked into tire options for the 17" yet. I do like the look of the 17, seems to modernize it some. I have wide 5 pattern disks all around (although the fronts are dual drilled in a Porsche pattern as well). I am going to try blacking out my head light rings, door handles (they are body color now) and mirror.
My seat bases, steering column, wheel... Etc... Are the stock white color now. Since i have the salt and pepper tweed/carpet, i think i will paint that stuff black.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Beautiful car
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

dcheek wrote:
buguy wrote:
So I'm considering redoing my 65. I'm looking for some inspiration. Doesn't have to be a 65, but I'd like to see the best looking looking bugs you've ever seen. Patina cars need not apply!

As far as I'm concerned you should redo the '65. I love mine. IMHO, the best motor VW made was the 40 horse and the '65 is the last year for it. I bought this car many years ago because it was original and Bahama Blue screams the '60's vibe. I have a little over 40,000 mlles and it runs as good as it looks. Go for it

The best 40HP engines are the 1966-78. large oil pump and cam bearings.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Nice looking rides here, but I have always been a little off center.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

Nice cars!
I kind of like the rubber mat on that black car. I live in Florida and there is lots of sand. That might not be a bad idea for me.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best looking bug you've ever seen Reply with quote

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: