Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a 411
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
411beginner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Hello,

I´m Geoff from nederland.

I could buy a VW411LE 1970. But this car would be my first classic car and my experience in repairing classic cars is rather limited. Is such a VW 411 suitable for a beginner or should it be better to KEEP MY FINGERS OFF? The vehicle is technically and also the body in very good condition.
Which spare parts are not available?
And which ones are easy to get? I know for example the shock absorbers are difficult to get. Body parts almost not at all.
Which spare parts should I definitely get to keep the car alive for the future?
Can someone give me recommendations?

Thanks for your answer
Geoff
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Check out the several recent threads where folks are doing restoration. You will find lots of good advice that will apply to yours.

I've never owned one, but I think they are very cool cars... in many respects they are a bridge between the older designs and the later watercoolers. They have their unique challenges, but those that jumped in and showed patience and a thick wallet love them.

It's not the best car to start with, especially if you are in a hurry; but if you are patient and have access to workshop, tools, you can get there, and have a rare and desirable car!

What model is it? (2dr or 4dr, sedan or wagon?) Got photos?

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
411beginner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.

It is a 2 dr sedan.

photos are not available in the moment
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Welcome to this forum. I am no expert at all on these cars as I got mine about a year ago and am gradually learning more about them.
I am sure other more knowledgeable people will point you towards some threads that explain in detail what it entails to work and restore a 411/412.
From personal experience, mechanically speaking is more advanced than any VW model that came before. These makes repairs and maintenance more difficult. That is why, on my restoration, I decided to begin with the bodywork.
I feel more comfortable on that area.
cheers,
Abel
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Welcome Geoff.

You have certainly found the right place for advice on these unusual cars. There is a wealth of knowledge amongst the many contributors in this forum. All you have to do, is ask.

BR,

Rob
411beginner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you all for your answer.

sorry for the misunderstanding, the vehicle is in such good condition, so that it does not need to be restored and it is ready to drive. I am more concerned if something technical breaks at the car, whether the car will then be standing for months and I cannot drive because I cannot buy any spare parts, to keep the car running.
Which parts are very critical to find?

Sorry for my english

Geoff
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Great news that it does not need restoration. That makes us even hungrier for some pics!

However, there are wear out items that you should address before driving it, regardless of how good it looks. Certain front suspension parts can degrade if worn and cause a cascade of needed repairs, so it's best to rework them right now.

I presume it is a manual transmission? If not, the automatic probably needs some seals replaced, or the mixing of oil/ATF can destroy some hard to find parts.

Those more familiar can post specifics, but please do not assume that lack of rust and good appearance means it can be a daily driver, without first addressing these issues.

p.s. your english is just fine.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Geoff,

Welcome to the type 4 world. This site is the place to be for help on your project.
How long ago did the engine run? If you want to start it make sure your fuel tank is clean of loose debris. Usually a car of this age has tank issues.
Check all your fuel lines...they probably need to be replaced. Do you have fuel injection or carburetors? If injected these lines work under pressure of up to about 38 psi. Bad lines can burn your car to the ground! Just investigate and exercise caution. Start there.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Geoff,

Welcome to the type 4 world. This site is the place to be for help on your project.
How long ago did the engine run? If you want to start it make sure your fuel tank is clean of loose debris. Usually a car of this age has tank issues.
Check all your fuel lines...they probably need to be replaced. Do you have fuel injection or carburetors? If injected these lines work under pressure of up to about 38 psi. Bad lines can burn your car to the ground! Just investigate and exercise caution. Start there.

Bill

Welcome!. I have put together many notes for new people. I think I need to write a complete one and keep a copy of it. I will post more later.......but by the way.....the pressure is 28 psi....not 38 psi Wink .

The injectors tend to fail to seal up over 35 psi. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Ray,

Oops...meant 28 psi.

Bill
411beginner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Many thanks for your answers

Geoff
Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 411 Reply with quote

Hey Geoff - did you end up buying the VW? I just got one last weekend.
For a beginner, I would recommend a car for which parts are readily available, and where everything is easy to access. My favorite in that category is a Triumph Spitfire. I have one of those waiting for me to restore.
That said, I do hope you got the 411, they are very fun cars to drive and own. Reminds me of my youth. Before my parents owned a car, when we had to visit family, they would always rent a VW bug. This was in the early sixties, in Leeuwarden.
Hartelijke groet, Cees
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: