Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have experience with electric boat motors?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

I’m not taking about using a trolling motor to move you around but an electric motor as the only motor.
I’m planning a project in my head and I’m considering going with an electric outboard motor. The lack of noise, exhaust, gas/oil, smell,and pollution is very appealing to me. It looks like there are a few good choices out there these days.
I’m thinking of a two person 10’ boat with a run time of at least a few hours. I’m not looking to be able to pull a skier or win any races but I want it to be able to move the boat at a quick pace for at least a little bit then pull back the power for a couple hour leisure cruise.
Here are a few of the companies making these.

Torqueeto- https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards

Elco- https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/product-category/e...gK5_fD_BwE

ePropulsion- https://www.epropulsion.com/

I’m kinda liking the Elco, it uses a generic battery source and seems to be much simpler than some of the others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

You pay about a 4x premium for the battery version, and 2-3 hours is about the max , discharging the battery heavily. I tried them for shore duty in the Cape but went back to ICE outboards
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

What motor did you have and what size boat? I don’t need more than a few hours of use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

I use an 85# thrust Minn Kota to push my 19.5' freighter canoe on a large lake in the Rockies and will go on 2 to 4 day camping trips. Friends with deeper pockets are using the Torquedos and run at about 20 km/h.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

I like the idea, but for a 10' you will likely max the weight quickly with the batteries. The epropulsion unit seems to have their act together with a package of battery and motor and is no larger than a large trolling motor, but it looks like the efficiency is 55% at best. Haven't researched efficiency of "regular" trolling motors though.

Personally, a 10hp Honda outboard would be all you need. Quiet, simple and at about 100 pounds keeps you within - but close - to a weight limit.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
I like the idea, but for a 10' you will likely max the weight quickly with the batteries. The epropulsion unit seems to have their act together with a package of battery and motor and is no larger than a large trolling motor, but it looks like the efficiency is 55% at best. Haven't researched efficiency of "regular" trolling motors though.

Personally, a 10hp Honda outboard would be all you need. Quiet, simple and at about 100 pounds keeps you within - but close - to a weight limit.

Some of the local lakes only allow electric motors.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

my wife sells the electric ones at west marine. she says they have a solor option too. witch wood bee nice for getting there, play while it charges more then off again you go. she sells the taqueitos.by the seashore..subway on one side tacobell on the other...and popeyes just past tocobella.... Confused Cool ( always take cheep snack fast food just encase your dinner isant hungry)
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
I use an 85# thrust Minn Kota to push my 19.5' freighter canoe on a large lake in the Rockies and will go on 2 to 4 day camping trips. Friends with deeper pockets are using the Torquedos and run at about 20 km/h.

How heavy is your boat? How fast sill it go? What batteries do you use?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:

Some of the local lakes only allow electric motors.

I realize that. You didn't specify where the boat was to be used. Point is, most boats of that length have a weight capacity of about 375 pounds at most depending if it's a jon style or V-hull. Figure the average male at 200 pounds, and 2 people are already overloading the boat before you add in batteries and an electric motor. You want speed and endurance - you aren't going to get that from a 10' boat unless you're by yourself. I've been boating for over 20 years. I used to sell and service various brands. What you want to do is going to require something in the 14 to 16' range just for the weight capacity alone.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Isn,t torqueedo using lithium batteries now?

I just installed LiFePo4 batteries in my house for backing up critical loads. 75 pounds of LiFePo4 has approximate usable equivalent energy density to 4 typical 6 volt golf cart batteries that weigh about 60 pounds each (so over 200 pounds). They should also provide about 2000 full cycles while the lead batteries will last about 350 full cycles (but can only use 50% of capacity if you want lead batteries to last).

To justify the cost of these batteries, I hope to cycle them no more than 80%, so they could still be working in 15 years.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Well if its a gruman aluminum canoe , weighs about 100 pounds, two grown men with tackle and supplies ( beer) close to six hundred pounds. Two paddles with one spare should get you where you want to go. And no noise so you you can sneak ip on your quarry.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

The boat I'm considering building is a Glen-L Squirt. Ten foot long and the hull weighs about 120lbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.glen-l.com/designs/outboard/squirt.html

Right now it's just a thought. I live in a soloar powered house and would like to try making a solar powered boat. I like the thought of being able to charge batteries using just the sun and be able to take a few hour cruise around the lakes. I know it would be much cheaper and easier to just stick a gas powered outboard on it and go.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

thats awesome!! Ive done everything form 12' to over 47'at over 150 mph pleasure boats(pussy boats) I took my 12' for mer jet boat(2 cylinder suzuki ran about 30mph) I built a tubular stainless bracket to set a outboard on it set back about 18"...first I put our old 1969 evenrude 40 hp on it got it to about 47 mph...not bad for a old turd motor, then I put a 75 hp stinger( jhonson outboards) on it.I ran it about 65 with a buddy in it...kinda skeery fast.never did get it proped right.and the hull flexed a lot as it was mad to go about half of that... so I started reenforcing...having kids...and more...then sold the entire thing for $200 with only about 3 hours on the new motor.. I think 2 of the electric motors on yours would be great!! even just 1 would be good.( 4 would be better) Wink
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Hey!, I've got the exact same outboard as the brown one on the top pic. Now I need to build me one of those boats to use it on. Cool

That's a really cool looking little boat, it would be a shame to cover up all that beautiful woodgrain with solar panels though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:

My boat itself is about 300 pounds. With 2 or 3 people, 6 or 8 deep cycle, batteries and camping gear, it probably gets close to 1500 pounds. My top speed fully loaded with the 85# Minn Kota is about 6.5 km/h. I just use 27 series deep cycle batteries from Walmart. My friends that use Torquedos are using AGM batteries, and pushing much larger canoes like the 24 foot Hudson Bay freighters. The Torquedos are fantastic if you are willing to spend the money - they even make a 80 hp model!
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

I kicked it around last year and came to the conclusion that I didn't want to worry about charge vs run time. Maybe in the future they will be more like the EV hummer where you can go 100 miles on 10rs of charge. Then I might consider it.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:

My boat itself is about 300 pounds. With 2 or 3 people, 6 or 8 deep cycle, batteries and camping gear, it probably gets close to 1500 pounds. My top speed fully loaded with the 85# Minn Kota is about 6.5 km/h. I just use 27 series deep cycle batteries from Walmart. My friends that use Torquedos are using AGM batteries, and pushing much larger canoes like the 24 foot Hudson Bay freighters. The Torquedos are fantastic if you are willing to spend the money - they even make a 80 hp model!

Interesting, thanks for your information. About how long are you able to run this?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hey!, I've got the exact same outboard as the brown one on the top pic. Now I need to build me one of those boats to use it on. Cool

That's a really cool looking little boat, it would be a shame to cover up all that beautiful woodgrain with solar panels though.

I don't plan on taking away from the beauty of the boat by just slapping a rectangular solar panel on the bow. I'm thinking the main charging of batteries would be done at home. I am thinking of maybe flush mounting some solar cells into the boat sol they look the part. It's still all just thoughts going through my head right now.
I do have a small '30s outboard that I got when I bought my Ghia last fall, It would look cool on this boat but I think electric would be nicer if I can get it to do what I want.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:

Interesting, thanks for your information. About how long are you able to run this?

My motor is 24V. If I go full throttle, I can kill 2 batteries in 90 minutes. If I just troll, I can go for days. Now that I see the boat that you plan to build, I would suggest a Torquedo, but I'm not familiar with any other brands other than Minn Kota, which are extremely reliable. As for solar charging, I wouldn't bother putting panels on that beautiful boat, because you won't recover enough power while cruising around. Maybe consider a solar charger set up for where you store your boat. I made my freighter canoe 30 years ago out of cedar, and it is still going strong, but I do work on it almost every year.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with electric boat motors? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:

My motor is 24V. If I go full throttle, I can kill 2 batteries in 90 minutes. If I just troll, I can go for days. Now that I see the boat that you plan to build, I would suggest a Torquedo, but I'm not familiar with any other brands other than Minn Kota, which are extremely reliable. As for solar charging, I wouldn't bother putting panels on that beautiful boat, because you won't recover enough power while cruising around. Maybe consider a solar charger set up for where you store your boat. I made my freighter canoe 30 years ago out of cedar, and it is still going strong, but I do work on it almost every year.

This is good to hear, I'd be happy if I could go about 7mph top speed for a bit, then cut back to about 3 for a few hours. Some guys on YouTube have some very impressive electric Kayaks, I saw a few are using the Minn Kota motors, sometimes two of them.
Your canoe sounds nice to be able to hold that weight, do you have any pictures of it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: