Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1 Reply with quote

Once the sheet metal work is all fixed we will be moving onto paint and painting.
I have a new wiring harness and headlights and taillights waiting.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1 Reply with quote

You can put one of those quick steer kits on the pitman arm to fix the tie rod angles

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1 Reply with quote

they should actually be flipped. I don't think my buddy knew the taper was reversed. We still have to finish up the chassis so I'll make sure I fix that before its driven at all.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1 Reply with quote

Here is a few photos of where the previous owner cut the body for the Baja kit.
The other pictures show the body with a proper front and rear clip. Front clip is from a 65 so it has some more work to be done. Rear clip is from a 65 but we have sourced the proper H apron.

Before

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

Here is the rear clip when it arrived.

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

you saved that bug . great job
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
you saved that bug . great job

Thanks! It was in quite a bad place before. It has a long way to go still.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

The welds need to be cleaned up and a lot of finish work is still in process, but it is looking more like a complete car.

bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Looking good ! That a big transfomation before and after .
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Very impressed.. I've got to say, you're years ahead of every other thread that starts out "got a free baja bug i want to fix up'
Applause
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still getting the hang of posting all the photos into the gallery then copying the link. I have a lot more photos to post. My buddy Corey is an iron worker so he's doing all the welding. That aside this is our first attempt at body work. It's a fun experience and it will be in better shape than it ever would be otherwise.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

We are building 2 different engines. I traded a bus engine for a couple bug engines. Here is a 40 horse power that is partially reassembled. We lapped the vales after we cleaned up the heads. We cleaned the pistons and honed the cylinders and installed all new gaskets. Its converted to a 12v alternator as you can see.

There is also a 1600 s/p in the works. I had a clutch kit laying around and bought a top end kit. Soon it will have all new gaskets, new top end, and a rebuild fuel pump and carb.

Some of the 40 hp parts cleaned up pretty nice.
There are a few finishing touches to put on the carb. It was rebuilt.

The fuel pump was rebuilt as well. A spacer was added between the intake and carb to accommodate the 12v alternator conversion.

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:41 am; edited 4 times in total
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

I'm recovering phots out of order. Here is an interior shot of the pans and heater channels in test fitting the body. You can see the replaced rear cross members Corey welded in as well. Stuff still needs to get cleaned up and finished but we are just working on getting rid of all the rust first. This also shows the replaced lower A-Pillar sections.

Has anyone located any interior pieces for lower the B pillars? You can see the rotted metal in the photo on the right side above the heater channel.

You can also see how the drivers seat track came a little crooked and will need to be fixed. I paid more to get pans that weren't the lowest quality, but next time I think I'll go German. All the other body panels I got are "top quality" many are from Denmark and I seem to have a lot better luck

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Decided to test out some "stained glass yellow" paint on the inside of some lenses that were laying around.

zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

bk63rag wrote:
Looking good ! That a big transfomation before and after .

Thanks. Lots more to come but it Lotts better on a weekly basis.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

We dismantled a few engines and kept all the worthy parts.

This photo shows the valves numbered while were were rebuilding the heads.

Here is another shot of a cleaned up head

And some tin just after it was dry.

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

The doors turned out to be in decent shape compared to a lot of the metal on the body. a few small rust holes need to be patched towards the bottom.

The doors have paint stripper on them here to remove the cheap white paint job that was only applied to the outside.

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

The seats that came in the Baja were worn out high backs so we scored some era correct low backs. I also found some nice tweed seat covers on the classifieds here on the samba.

One seat frame will have to be cleaned up. The springs are in pretty goos shape and I'll have a foam kit on order soon.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

zwillisgosteli wrote:
Has anyone located any interior pieces for lower the B pillars? You can see the rotted metal in the photo on the right side above the heater channel.

You'll need to make those pieces or find good donor metal. I'm surprised no one is making that area yet since it always rusts there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

zwillisgosteli wrote:
Decided to test out some "stained glass yellow" paint on the inside of some lenses that were laying around.

It works ok, I used it on the outside of the lens (a set of foglights.) but it faded within a few months. Perhaps it will last longer when on the inside of the lens.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:
zwillisgosteli wrote:

You'll need to make those pieces or find good donor metal. I'm surprised no one is making that area yet since it always rusts there.

Thats what I figured. I fond them for an early convertible, but those pieces are way different and very expensive. Its just odd they aren't more readily available for a standard considering they make replacements for the metal panel on the opposite side (quarter panel) and below (heater channel) this piece.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: