Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
zwillisgosteli wrote:
Decided to test out some "stained glass yellow" paint on the inside of some lenses that were laying around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It works ok, I used it on the outside of the lens (a set of foglights.) but it faded within a few months. Perhaps it will last longer when on the inside of the lens.

Thanks what I'm hoping. I don't think the headlight will get hit enough to effect the paint. It's only a couple light coats and there was no effect when I held some heat to it.
Dialed!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

We got this for the rear of the car too
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Gas tank prior to clean up. Eventually I'm going to fix the tiny amount of pitting and paint it the right color.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Obviously the car needs to be painted. The front and rear clip are not original and 10 or 12 metal panels have been replaced, not including heater channels and pans.

I'd like to paint the bug mango green, however the original color is Indian red and I am torn between the two.

Thoughts?

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Unless your goal is for it to match the birth certificate, as in depth as the repairs have been on this car I'd say you're safe to paint it whatever color you want.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Paint it what ever color you want, my oval was originally black but i liked L11 pastel green so much that's what color i went with. Mango green is a great color.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

That for your input guys. You're right, not much paint is left and I'm going to be painting the inside and outside when it does happen. I'll probably go mango. A lot of prices I've seen were higher because the red pigment in the paint is more expensive than other colors.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Strongly consider NOT to install the H rear apron with your 2 engine choices. The H apron comes up higher than the '65 apron, reducing the front to rear linear space in the engine compartment. It'll be much more difficult to maneuver either engine into the mounting position with the H.

Also, is your firewall still the original 1960 contour along the bottom for the 36 hp engine, shaped like a sideways "C"? If so, and I cannot see it clearly enough in any of your photos, that will require you to remove the fresh air heater boxes to get the engine in. If you have access to a fresh air firewall that has the sideways "D" shape, that gives you enough additional height so that the HB slides under the bottom edge.

My preference to the engine would be the 1600 SP, since your later transmission likely has the final drive ratio 4.12 which was the factory match to the 1500/1600 SP's in the Type 1.

Since you are handy with a welder, how about welding in the mounting points for shoulder belts halfway up the B-pillar so that you can use 3-point belts?

My first Beetle in the mid '70's was also a '60; VIN 3092993. Is your VIN close to that?

Body color: My friend Stock Steve painted his '60 Mango Green (his gallery photo):
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Strongly consider NOT to install the H rear apron with your 2 engine choices. The H apron comes up higher than the '65 apron, reducing the front to rear linear space in the engine compartment. It'll be much more difficult to maneuver either engine into the mounting position with the H.

Also, is your firewall still the original 1960 contour along the bottom for the 36 hp engine, shaped like a sideways "C"? If so, and I cannot see it clearly enough in any of your photos, that will require you to remove the fresh air heater boxes to get the engine in. If you have access to a fresh air firewall that has the sideways "D" shape, that gives you enough additional height so that the HB slides under the bottom edge.

My preference to the engine would be the 1600 SP, since your later transmission likely has the final drive ratio 4.12 which was the factory match to the 1500/1600 SP's in the Type 1.

Since you are handy with a welder, how about welding in the mounting points for shoulder belts halfway up the B-pillar so that you can use 3-point belts?

My first Beetle in the mid '70's was also a '60; VIN 3092993. Is your VIN close to that?

Body color: My friend Stock Steve painted his '60 Mango Green (his gallery photo):

The H apron is just sitting in the shops of now. However my plan was to run my apron like I did on my previous bug. I just had two bolts and two quick clips holding on my rear apron. At the time I was building various engines as parts and funds became available and I was working on it often. This made it easy. Some cut up the body pretty good a long time ago while they were making it a Baja. The firewall is original but the bottom piece has been cut off and it now has a later piece.

I think I am going to run the 1600 since parts are more affordable and more readily available, although I plan to finish the 40 horse with as many era correct parts as I can.

And to give credit where credit is due, I am not the handy one with a welder. My friend Corey has been doing the welding. He's an iron worker, but this is our first real experience with this much body work. I may look into 3 point belts, I know they're safer, but I always just ran lap belts because I like how they look.

Looks like your buddy Steve has good taste in music, I love that DEVO sticker.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

After a hiatus from working overtime and traveling we are back to working on this hunk of shit.

The engine is almost complete. We did a top end kit and most the external stuff is new as well. Refreshed the tin. Waiting on the flywheel to be resurfaced now, then installing the clutch kit and putting the engine in to test it.

Most of the welding and grinding is close to done on the body, time for seam sealer, body filler and primer eventually.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

We are still part way down the long road of prep for paint.
Slowly plugging along on this thing and making it look more like an actual car.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Do you a picture of your luggage tray area ? ( I think that’s what it’s called ) Area under rear seat. Is yours relieved for the later transmission ? My 60 was originally flattish for the old split transmission but then someone beat it out so as to use a later transmission and nosecone. I’m interested in seeing how it originally looked. Are you going to relieve yours. It looks like the later cars had a squarish hump there. I would like to find a piece like that but ?
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

This is a fun build to follow because I'm old enough to remember guys chopping up ragtops, ovals, and cabriolets to make Baja Bugs.

It broke my heart back then to witness the desecration, and now people are welding the cars back to what they should be.

Bravo.

Good save!
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Do you a picture of your luggage tray area ? ( I think that’s what it’s called ) Area under rear seat. Is yours relieved for the later transmission ? My 60 was originally flattish for the old split transmission but then someone beat it out so as to use a later transmission and nosecone. I’m interested in seeing how it originally looked. Are you going to relieve yours. It looks like the later cars had a squarish hump there. I would like to find a piece like that but ?

The luggage tray looks pretty similar to the 62 I used to have. I’ll get some photos soon. I have a rebuilt 68 transaxle and it fits without beating any metal.

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:
This is a fun build to follow because I'm old enough to remember guys chopping up ragtops, ovals, and cabriolets to make Baja Bugs.

It broke my heart back then to witness the desecration, and now people are welding the cars back to what they should be.

Bravo.

Good save!

Thanks, much appreciated. Lots of metal has been replaced and there is a long way to go but it’s been a good learning experience so far. I’ve heard more than a couple stories about guys cutting them up at scrap yards when they were younger after bugs with bigger windows and lights came out. What a shame
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

These B pillar pieces were impossible to find. Corey made some by hand that still need to be cleaned up.

More sanding to do. Hoping to have the body in primer by the end of September.
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

The engine is complete and running now. I’m trying to figure out how to post a video of its first time starting.

zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

still working on rust repair.

One fender in particular needs a lot of work.
The hood needed a decent amount of work as well, they're all still in progress

Last edited by zwillisgosteli on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-baja-ing a 1960 Type 1: Build Thread Reply with quote

Corey is getting rid of 100% of the rust.

the underside has been cleaned, welded, primed and painted gloss black just for now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: