Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

Hi I'm looking for a disc brake comvertion kit for my '69 beetle German 4 hole .did see few options on cip but really confused on what to order .. are the normal 200usd ones good ? Or shud I get the drilled ones ? Please share links of your suggestion. Budget max is 400usd
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

How fast do you drive and how heavy is the traffic? You don't need 4 pot calipers or slotted and drilled.......... Unless you drive like a madman. If you drive like a madman, you need insurance designed for madmen more than better brakes. Your car isnt heavy enough to need fancy brakes. Will your drums slide the tires?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

Agree with above, you don't need drilled and slotted discs. Solid disc will be a noticeable improvement over drums.

As far as kits, you basically need to decide which of the following you are interested in:
    (Cheapest) Bolt on adapter brackets which allow Ghia calipers to be mounted to the stock drum spindles. As described, these come with an adapter bracket which bolts between the stock drum spindle and the calipers. You may need to also replace the wheel bearings, but the kit should come with them if needed.

(More expensive) Stock height Ghia-style disc brake spindles. These replace your drum spindles with reproduction disc spindles. If you have a very early '69 you may also need to replace the outer tie rod ends if they are the '66-69 small diameter type. This kit maintain the stock ride height and wheel offset. You can also buy steel Ghia backing plates to protect the discs from water/dust. This is basically the same as scavenging the disc brakes off the front of a Ghia/T3, but all the parts are new.

(Most expensive) Dropped spindle disc brake kit. These come with modified spindles that lower the front end 2.5" without changing the suspension characteristics. There are a few limitations/requirements...
    - Stock 15" steel wheels or aftermarket wheels with the same ID to clear the calipers and ball joints. 14" wheels are not an option.
    - The wheels are pushed out for a wider stance. 165SR-15 tires on stock 4.5" wide wheels will rub on the fenders. You will need deeper offset wheels or skinnier tires (145SR-15). A narrowed front beam would also help.
    - The lower ball joint will be placed so close to the ID of the wheel that thick alloy wheels will rub. Spacers are needed for some 15" alloy wheels to fit. This further pushes the wheels outward.
    - Stock backing plates will not fit. You could try to make custom ones. Most run without any backing plates which increases the water/dirt the disc/calipers are exposed to.
    - You may need longer brake hoses to reach the location of the raised calipers.

These are all Empi brake kits. They are the least expensive. I know folks bash Empi and most of the time they deserve it. But I've had good experience with their dropped disc kit so I'm good with suggesting them as an upgrade from drums.

One tip: if you need to replace the flexible brake hoses that run to the calipers, I recommend steel braided hoses. They come premade and reduce the internal expansion normal for rubber hoses. This makes for a firmer pedal. They are not much more expensive but will last a lot longer and do not internally degrade like rubber.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

I agree with Ash. I got the Empi kit front and rear for my 1303 because of the possibility of encountering madmen and madwomen on the modern highways hereabouts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

I am very happy with the kit I bought from Topline.

It was more $$$...but absolutely complete, came with good instructions and was all quality parts.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

Did you get a new master cyl. in your Topline kit? Empi doesn't come with one but some cars require a larger diameter cylinder, my 73 Super did
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
Did you get a new master cyl. in your Topline kit? Empi doesn't come with one but some cars require a larger diameter cylinder, my 73 Super did

This is the kit I got:
https://www.toplineparts2.com/brakes/front-disc-brake-conversion-kit.html
It did NOT require a Master Cylinder change...I even called and asked. Seems to work fine with the stock one.

All I had to provide was bearing grease, brake fluid and a can of brake cleaner.

The only hard part was pressing the bearing races into the hubs. The rest was all just turning a wrench.

I thought he had a non-Super Beetle kit too, but I'm not seeing it right now. Maybe its out of stock at the moment.

Its worth the OP's time to call Jon and discuss, 714-630-8371
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

I don't believe any of the commonly available kits come with a replacement MC, however, most vendors will have them available to buy at the same time.

I must 2nd (or 3rd now) the Topline kits. He does have or will put together a kit for a non-Super if you call. Topline kits are more expensive to start with because they come with everything needed for the conversion. I did NOT buy Topline kits I got mine from CB Performance. I was very happy with the kits I got, but I did have to source wheel bearings, wheel bearings seals...and one other thing I can't recall right now, separately. Ultimately the Topline kits would have been the better deal for both time and money.

H2OSB
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

I have a 69 and I got my disks from John at Aircooled. I did get the dropped spindles but they do have kits that aren't dropped. I also got stainless brake lines. Not any problems in the 10+ years they have been on. Stock MC works fine.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

I have drop spindles, but for drum, can they be changed to Disc? All I see for drop spindles with disc have the bosses for the caliper cast into the spindle. No brackets for sale that I can see.. Unless I'm missing something. Cuz, i was told that my drop spindles can't use disc brakes.. Just trying to confirm that...

I have a set of Thing Spindles with disc, but, they use a bracket to add the caliper to it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

I bought a set of good condition used late Ghia front calipers, discs, spindles and backing plates. OEM German quality and they bolt right in.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion kit for 69 beetle Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
I bought a set of good condition used late Ghia front calipers, discs, spindles and backing plates. OEM German quality and they bolt right in.

This is ideal, if you can find it. Can't beat factory quality. Though, I must say, I really like those new EMPI calipers.

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: