Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Graphics, stripes, paint schemes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

I really like this.

Again, not a T3, but if the curve of the graphics were slightly straighter, more like a hockey stick, I think they would be spectacular on a T3.

I saw this one on FB the other day.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

The question I have is where would you get any of these? Maybe something the usual vendors should stock as there's obviously a demand.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

with a world full of vinyl graphics shops these days. just about anywhere.
would not be a good economic value for a vendor to stock and sell.

back in the 70s and 80s it was more a dealer specialty arrangement. and a few factory designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

Not a biggie, I just thought someone out there might have these custom made for a Vanagon
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

It is not hard to make these types of graphics with a bit of practice. You'll need a vector program to make the graphics, a cut program, and a plotter.

Comes with cut software for under $300.
https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Plotter-Cutting-Sign...amp;sr=8-5
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

Mine (page 1) came from Vanagon Dwellers:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VanagonDwellers
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

I don't mean to thread hijack, but this seems to be the best spot to ask.

On the flip side, has anyone ever removed their 30+ year old stripes with success? I'm looking at a 1988 pastel white with an R2D2 looking 6 inch thick stripe going just above the rockers and personally cannot stand the look of it. I'm nervous of how bad it'll look removed, though, especially on pastel white. I hear removing stripes is very noticeable on pastel white, and it can turn slightly yellow when using a 3m wheel. Anyone have any luck? Should I steer clear of it if I can't deal with stripes?
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
Mine (page 1) came from Vanagon Dwellers:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VanagonDwellers

Same. Nice folks.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:

On the flip side, has anyone ever removed their 30+ year old stripes with success? I'm looking at a 1988 pastel white with an R2D2 looking 6 inch thick stripe going just above the rockers and personally cannot stand the look of it. I'm nervous of how bad it'll look removed, though, especially on pastel white. I hear removing stripes is very noticeable on pastel white, and it can turn slightly yellow when using a 3m wheel. Anyone have any luck? Should I steer clear of it if I can't deal with stripes?

With vinyl that old you need to use a chemical that will rejuvenate the vinyl so that it will come out in larger areas than just chipping it away. I have had good success with CrystalTek Vinyl-Off.
https://www.amazon.com/CrystalTek-Vinyl-Off-Quart-...&psc=1

That said, 30yo vinyl is 30yo vinyl. That is going to be a tough task any way you slice it.

My recommendation (I worked as the designer in a sign shop fresh out of college and did a lot of vinyl removal):
1. Tape the van off, you want to protect the paint.
2. Soak it in Vinyl-Off. Rub/spread it across the vinyl. Maybe do this a few times.
3. Use a heat gun to further soften it.
4. Use a plastic scraper and your fingernails to try to lift larger sections off.

If it's still chipping and not lifting or if it's lifting paint, then use the 3M wheel. Realize that any method has the potential to really damage paint. After a few years, vinyl becomes awfully permanent. And if you have a respray, you can just go ahead and book that paint appointment now.
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
joyfulpursuit wrote:

With vinyl that old you need to use a chemical that will rejuvenate the vinyl so that it will come out in larger areas than just chipping it away. I have had good success with CrystalTek Vinyl-Off.
https://www.amazon.com/CrystalTek-Vinyl-Off-Quart-...&psc=1

That said, 30yo vinyl is 30yo vinyl. That is going to be a tough task any way you slice it.

My recommendation (I worked as the designer in a sign shop fresh out of college and did a lot of vinyl removal):
1. Tape the van off, you want to protect the paint.
2. Soak it in Vinyl-Off. Rub/spread it across the vinyl. Maybe do this a few times.
3. Use a heat gun to further soften it.
4. Use a plastic scraper and your fingernails to try to lift larger sections off.

If it's still chipping and not lifting or if it's lifting paint, then use the 3M wheel. Realize that any method has the potential to really damage paint. After a few years, vinyl becomes awfully permanent. And if you have a respray, you can just go ahead and book that paint appointment now.

Thanks for the tips. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond. The one caveat I'm nervous about is what it'd look like post-op. 30 years of unfaded paint will stand out as a stripe of its own. If it didn't have this darn stripe, I'd be buying this westy right now.

The van for reference: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/27587537...ger_banner
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

If it is noticeable, a cut and polish on the van will really reduce it. And if its a single stage paint, it'll completely remove the difference between the two colors. I don't know if it is single stage, I'm sure someone else does. I would bet it is though.

I really wouldn't worry about the color difference at this point, I would worry about the vinyl pulling up chunks of paint.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

ok you said paint schemes

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/oakland-freebird-for-sale/7278970712.html

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

I'll just drop this one in here Wink

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

CL fresh, almost wall of shame worthy (imo)

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

The interesting thing with this van is that they hit it with the ugly stick everywhere but felt the torn oem upholstery was just fine as-is. I guess it really tied the van together.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics, stripes, paint schemes Reply with quote

Two sweet early air cooled vans. What I like about the blue one is that the white rocker panels are the antithesis of the me-too bedliner trend making it 3x better.

VeeDubn wrote:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: