Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Hey fellas, long time listener, first time caller. I've been asking a lot of questions here and there about this car, so it's time I started a thread to document progress.

I bought this car as an (almost) complete roller minus engine in 2019. It had most of a long block of new go fast parts that went with it. A buddy was moving away and was tired of storing it. He bought it from the original owner in 1997, and then bought parts to build a big motor, bought a beefy transaxle, and then stored it for the next 20+ years.

After unpacking all the boxes of engine parts, I found most of a longblock to build a 2028. 78.8 Scat Crank, L5 heads with major porting, new mag case, Mahle 90.5 forged pistons and cylinders and Scat H beam rods, all which had been balanced.

I have since been collecting more parts for the motor little by little, like tins, alternator kit, dual 44 HPMX carbs, etc. I've got almost everything except rockers, exhaust and a distributor. It came with a 009, but I'm going with a CB electronic unit most likely.

The transaxle had no paperwork, but was obviously rebuilt with a billet side plate. All he could remember was that the gears had been welded to the shafts... I will say that the axles are a lot bigger than stock, as I had to rob the housings and brakes off of the original transaxle that also came with the car. It is NOT a posi though, bummer.

It has a crappy Earl Shieb or Maaco green paint job over the original off white. It has some rust, but the pans have already been replaced.

PLANS: Build the 2028, get it on the road, very little cosmetically. I'm going for a 60's drag bug look, with the BRMS and big tires in the rear. I named it the Green-go, and may have that lettered on the doors at some point to further the 60's drag bug theme. Here are some pics so far, from when I got it to current progress.

As found Condition:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed the new transaxle that came with it, and then bought an EMPI truss bar setup with a mid mount. I hope to launch this thing HARD.

I got some fluted lenses for Christmas last year, and converted them to reflectors with halogen bulbs. I had a Vintique kit on the shelf leftover from another project. It's to convert 37-39 Ford headlights to halogen. Worked pretty slick in bug headlights.

Here's how it looks overall today, Got the BRMS and the FR70 15s mounted up. Euro bumpers and roof rack were practically given to me by a friend so I slapped them on. Since it will not be lowered in the rear, I think I will just install dropped spindles and be done with it. It doesn't need to be slammed with stock height rear and those huge tires.

Installed some gauges, ISP West vintage Oil pressure and temp, in one of their speaker grille mounts. I cut down the trim to go through the gauges to look like the rest of the dash, also mounted up the Bosch vintage looking Tach.

I started to go through the brakes, and they all look almost brand new! Not even surface rust on the wheel cylinders, lots of meat on the shoes, rubber is all soft. I guess the brakes were done shortly before it was parked 20 years ago.

Here are a couple pics of the heads that came with it:

Thanks for looking! I'll update it as I work on it. Could take years to finish this thing? Who knows. I have a full time job and 4 kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

I love it!
zwillisgosteli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Those Firestone tires look cool! Sweet bug.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

danhay wrote:

I started to go through the brakes, and they all look almost brand new! Not even surface rust on the wheel cylinders, lots of meat on the shoes, rubber is all soft. I guess the brakes were done shortly before it was parked 20 years ago.

Twenty years ago someone put the brake springs on wrong.
The larger, fatter spring goes on the WC side and the smaller one on the adjuster side.

Nice project though, with all that hp might want to upgrade to discs!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up! I'll correct it. I might do discs, still figuring things out.

61SNRF wrote:
danhay wrote:

Twenty years ago someone put the brake springs on wrong.
The larger, fatter spring goes on the WC side and the smaller one on the adjuster side.

Nice project though, with all that hp might want to upgrade to discs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Obviously missing the e-brake stuff too.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Pssst! That's the front brake drum.

buguy wrote:

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Pssst! That's the front brake drum.

buguy wrote:

Correct.

Speaking of the E-brake, after I did the rear brakes, I adjusted the e-brake cable at the handle. It works fine, but one side of the cable is at the end of it's adjustment, so when the shoes get worn I can't snug up the e-brake anymore, on the driver's side at least...

Does that mean it's stretched out and could use a new one? It's probably the original cables from 1965.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Release the "e" brake and adjust the rear brakes. Then go back and readjust the "e" brake handle.
Ideally, when properly adjusted. The "e" brake handle will have 6 clicks to to lock the rear wheels.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

I installed a set of dropped spindles this weekend. Man, those king pins would not come out. I've been wanting a press for a while, so off to Harbor Freight I went. After getting the press, it all went smoothly. I couldn't help but thinking that if this was a ball joint beam, I would have been done hours earlier...

I didn't install adjusters, because with the rear being stock height, and the big tires, it didn't need to be slammed.

I need to buy some smaller tires for the front, and mount the BRMs, I read on here that 175/65/15s are as tall as a 145, with a better contact patch.

Pretty soon I will have to start building the motor!
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Dat rake tho!

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Looking good! I love a good raked stance.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

How's your clearance, Clarence?

Here's what I got: Dropped spindles on a stock width beam, 4.5" wide BRM wheels. As you can see from the pic. The rim of the wheel is even with the fender lip.

I didn't know the dropped spindles would widen the track width, so I'm looking at 145s, or a 176 65 15 for a tire. Will that fit and look ok?

Ideally I need a narrowed beam, but I don't want to get that invasive.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Skinny tires will help. Back in the days before narrowed beams I remember people just putting donut spare tires on their VW wheels!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Skinny tires will help. Back in the days before narrowed beams I remember people just putting donut spare tires on their VW wheels!

Wow! Come to think of it, a 135 tire is about the size of a donut... Very Happy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

danhay wrote:
...Could take years to finish this thing? Who knows. I have a full time job and 4 kids.

I’ve got a full time job and five kids, I hear you loud and clear! I’ve slowly learned (too slowly-!) over the past few project Vws to take bite sized chunks at a time. Project paralysis is a real thing!!
Your VW looks like a great project. It’s nice finding fresh clean stuff like those brakes.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Here's how it sits.... Recap: it has dropped spindles only on a stock width beam, 4.5" wide wheels with 175 65 15s. (Equal height to 145s)

I didn't get a pic, but the driver's side has slightly less gap, due to the difference in the front fenders (notice the different turn signal placement)

It really needs a narrowed beam, but I'm going to focus on getting it road worthy, then do the beam later if I still care about it. The issue is the tires will hit the fenders, but I don't expect much suspension travel in the front of a bug.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Beetle looks good now with the matched wheels front and rear.

The transmission with the late-style throw-out bearing and guide tube likely has the 3.88:1 final drive ratio which makes it a good highway driver 75-85 mph.

What cam will you use on the 2028 engine? Heads look very impressive.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

I like the headlight change you made. Since '37-'39 Fords likely didn't have the same spacing between the reflector and lens VW Bugs, how well do the headlights focus correctly for low and high beams? The double lens thing some do (using Euro type lenses with US spec headlights behind) doesn't seem to work that well. Your method of attacking the problem seems better.

I keep an eye out for a good H4 style LED designed for 6 volts. Right now I run 35 watt halogen H4 in Bosch 7 inch housings. I could combine your idea and a good 6v H4. Your headlights look good!
danhay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Green-Go, 65 Beetle build thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Beetle looks good now with the matched wheels front and rear.

The transmission with the late-style throw-out bearing and guide tube likely has the 3.88:1 final drive ratio which makes it a good highway driver 75-85 mph.

What cam will you use on the 2028 engine? Heads look very impressive.

After much consideration, and a recommendation from John at Aircooled.net, I went with a Webcam 86A with 1.4 rockers. Rowdy enough to justify the large port heads, but still with good street manners.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: