Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Any ever use one of these CSP 6 to 12 volt converters ? I’m contemplating wiring this in and was thinking about using the choke hole but it will have to be drilled out a bit. I would like some input on any potential issues prior to doing that . You’d think, for the amount of money they charge for this thing it would have come with a knob or at least have one you could purchase ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I think those are usually adjusted for a suitable speed and left completely behind the dash, not changeable while driving.

I've seen plenty of old Bugs with a lighter in the choke handle hole but never did that to any of my old Bugs because I never wanted to cut the dash. One idea would be to rig up a way for the choke lever or regular dash light switch knob to operate the variable speed rotary knob behind the dash. It may allow the existing hole to be filled but not enlarged.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
I’ve ordered some new hinges

It's easy to bend them back into alignment, there's no need to replace them if they aren't smashed or rusted.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I didn’t realize that. I guess I just wasted another 30 bucks 😬
Is there a certain procedure to bending them back or ?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Stick a screwdriver into the hinge brackets as shown and use that to lever/bend them the direction needed. Based on your earlier picture, your brackets need to be bent upwards to close up the gap.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Ok
That looks simple enough 😀
Thanks
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Deck lid gag is starting to look much better. I decided to use the new ones I bought and they ended up with the same gap. It took me 3 or 4 tries ( after kid removal ) to bend the new ones enough to get this gap. I’m sure I could get it perfect but it’s good enough for now.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Gap not gag 😬
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Oops
Chinese glass ?
It went in so so easy and then pop right at the end. WTF ?

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I think I’m going to try my local glass person. WW has Brazilian glass which I think would probably be better than the Chinese glass so if the local people don’t work out that is where I am headed next.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Finally got new glass put in . Im not moving to quick on this car ! I tried doing it myself but eventually asked for help !
Also , I’m not sure what to do at the corners on the hood seal ?

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’m also having problems with the later turn signal I installed. I have power going in (on yellow wire from flasher to turn assembly but none coming out. My brain is starting to hurt with this seemingly simple electrickery .

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Finally got new glass put in . Im not moving to quick on this car ! I tried doing it myself but eventually asked for help !
Also , I’m not sure what to do at the corners on the hood seal ?

Seal is supposed to end at each of those body channels.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491638&highlight=front+hood+seal
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

So
Just cut it even with the crimp or ?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
So
Just cut it even with the crimp or ?

Rubber shrinks, LONG pieces of rubber will shrink even more. First cut the upper center section of the seal about an inch long on each side. Try pushing/compressing the rubber some into the length of the body groove to make the shrinkage later as little as possible, but not so much as to cause the rubber to wrinkle.

Should look in the end like this at top corners:

Down at the very bottom front end of the hood the seals should be split there to allow any water drip out. The below is from the oval forum since same seals used on past end of 1960 model year.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738688&highlight=front+hood+seal
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank You
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’m now getting around to sorting out the doors. Things ( like usual ) are not going to plan. I’m using the German seals. First issue was that I wasn’t aware that all the German door jam seals were grey. ( this is what the dealer told me )
It looks weird but ? Second issue is that once I finally managed to get the vent window it wouldn’t close all the way and then the hinge pin broke . ( I had reset these to be tighter )

After cleaning the latch assembly I noticed the driver side seems to be missing a part inside but I’m not sure. The other latch assembly has this part and is kinda knotchy when moved. Hopefully someone can tell me by looking at the pics if I need another assembly. The part that is missing can be seen up in the hole on one but not the other.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Think you need to notch the rubber around the tab for the latch.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246326&highlight=wing+window+rubber
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’m moving forward but it sure would be nice if something functioned as intended after installation. The seals are very irritating ! The vent wings won’t close completely and I’ve massaged the hell out of those seals. The doors won’t close now. I haven’t glued those seals in yet but I’ve pushed them in as well as I could for an initial check. I suppose I’ll end up having to shim the doors ! The seals around the headlights aren’t close to going in on both sides. The only thing I can think might be the problem is the aftermarket headlight lens shape is a little off. When I bought these years ago there were no smooth ones in stock. I have one original. Maybe I need to find another original clear one ?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: