Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Ok
I think I’ve got it now. It’s probably going to be a while before I drop the engine out of the 70. I hope to get the body work done this week and get it fully primed but winter has come back and I have to paint outside 🤪 I’ m not sure if I’m going to paint the color until I have a really nice day or ? It’s going to be base coat clear coat. I thought about painting everything that needs to be shot from underneath, mounting it back to the chassis and then taking it to a friends body shop so all the critical outside painting can be done inside in the heat. I have the chassis all painted. This is what I’m contemplating but that too may change.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I tried to crank the possible 70 1600 engine today. It has spark .. I set the timing then tried and it wouldn’t crank. I think the distributor is possibly positioned wrong or ? I put mu finger over the right forward spark plug hole and felt for compression and continued to turn until 0 mark on flywheel. At this point the rotor is in this position .See picture. Also, did the 1600 have an 009 distributor?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Compression was 125 on three cylinders. I didn’t check left forward as the plug was really tight and I didn’t want to force it prior to soaking
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

009 is a distributor that does not have a vacuum advance. Your distributor has a vacuum advance.

Use a mirror and write down the complete numbers on the distributor to give us the full info.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

It’s a 205k so I guess that could be correct. What do you think about the position of the rotor in relation to the timing mark
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
It’s a 205k so I guess that could be correct. What do you think about the position of the rotor in relation to the timing mark

I think that's TDC on #3, or the drive on the distributor is on backwards, or the distributor drive was installed with the slot the opposite way.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

The 205K distributor works with a 30 PICT 1 carb very well. Especially on a SP engine. Looking at the left side of the carb. What is cast into the float bowl?
On the carb mounting to intake manifold flange. What is the number stamped there.
A good 30 PICT 1 would have W 105-1 stamped just below the throttle shaft on the left side of the carb flange.

You have allot going on in the engine compartment.
The coil does not look like it's mounted to the fan shroud.
The throttle cable is connected to a loose throttle arm from another carb.

The left fresh air tube needs to be connected to the left heater box. It's there, just torn off at the moment.

Based on the rust present. It appears that the engine has not been run for quite some time.
Has the oil been changed and the valve lash checked?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I too think the po put the distributor in incorrectly.
Yes there is a lot going on .
The carb is a 28 pict which was the one it when I got it. ( I cleaned it )I have since found a 30 . I haven’t ever heard it run. The gas pedal is messed up. The coil is just hanging and I y just wanted to hear it run for a minute prior to pulling it out ( if it would )
I changed the oil
It has 125 lbs of compression so it must be a timing issue. It doesn’t even sputter and there is fire.
I suppose one just lifts the distributor up and out and moves the engagement around 180 degrees ?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:

I suppose one just lifts the distributor up and out and moves the engagement around 180 degrees ?

No, gear on the distributor lower end and the drive below it have an offset slot, so it is not going to be an easy flip it around 180 degrees.

Find where the crankshaft is turned for #1 cylinder is at TDC and both valves are closed. Then post a looking down image of the distributor with cap off. Mark the distributor rim so it can be seen with the camera. Remember this is a four stroke engine, so only one out of two times the piston is all the way up to the head, is the firing point at TDC.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

On SP engines. The #3 distributor cam lobe is slightly retarded in timing. This helps the engine live a longer life. The #3 cylinder gets the hottest air flow after the cooling air passes through the oil cooler.
So it's rather important to get the distributor and the distributor drive shaft installed correctly.

I have a an SP engine on the build stand. I'll snap a couple pics to illustrate what I am saying above.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

The distributor Bosch 0 231 137 009 is the same as VW# 113 905 205 K.

This distributor is not the same as the "009" so often seen and spoken about. It is only mechanical advance no vacuum canister. You want the one with vacuum for this engine. The position of the distributor looks correct but still may not be timed correctly.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I only had time to check if bothe valves were closed today and yes they are and the rotor is pointed in the direction of the picture so I suppose I need to move all the wires on the distributor so that number 1 is where the rotor is ?
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Number one wire is toward the rear of the car at present
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
I only had time to check if bothe valves were closed today and yes they are and the rotor is pointed in the direction of the picture so I suppose I need to move all the wires on the distributor so that number 1 is where the rotor is ?

If that is #1 position of the distributor, then moving the spark plug cables to where they should be is the way to go.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Well
I changed the wires and it ( at least ) sounded like it wanted to fire off but it wouldn’t start. Seems like it couldn’t get enough gas. I every time I moved the throttle I could see fuel squirting into throat of carb but it just wouldn’t do it. I guess I’ll just pull the engine and go through it.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Maybe it has a 6 volt coil instead of a 12 ? There is no telling what the po tried with this engine.
grvwsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Find the notch on the distributor rim;
The picture of the rotor shows it at 180* off and pointing to the #3 position.

For TDC and # 1 firing position, the rotor should point to the notch on the distributor rim, and the TDC notch on the crankcase pulley points to the case line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Yes that’s what I was saying earlier 🤪
I don’t understand why it’s pointing there when number one is at TDC of compression stroke. Should I pull the distributor? Or am I missing something. I put my finger over No 1 spark plug hole and slowly turned the engine until I felt compression, then proceeded to the flywheel notch. At that point both valves on No 1 were closed. The rotor at that point was where it is in picture which has got me baffled
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Either the drive dog on the distributor is on backwards, or the distributor drive was put in backwards. I think that was already covered.

Pull the distributor and find out what part is installed wrong.
grvwsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

"Pruneman99
Pull the distributor and find out what part is installed wrong."

Well looks like you have no choice. If you don't have a spare distributor, see if you can use the distributor in 1200.

It looks like the "K" distributor has been in the 1970 engine for awhile... I can't understand why the drive dog or the distributor drive would be reversed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: