Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

One or the other is reversed, or he's really not TDC on #1.

One of these must be true. Now the OP needs to find out which one it is.
grvwsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

yep, I think it's 180* off.

"I put my finger over No 1 spark plug hole and slowly turned the engine until I felt compression,
then proceeded to the flywheel notch.
At that point both valves on No 1 were closed. The rotor at that point was where it is in picture which has got me baffled"

may be looking at the EXHAUST stroke"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Finding TDC #1

Put it where you think TDC #1 is continue turning clockwise while watching #1 exhaust valve it should begin to open around half a turn. If this doesn’t happen you are on #3 TDC. ******Stop*****

From here turn in either direction one full turn and you’ll be on #1 TDC but go ahead and verify using the exhaust valve as witness. This is firing order and doesn’t lie. 1432
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Meanwhile
I’ve run out of room so the vdub has got to get done 🙄
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Another unrelated item
Today I tried to get the rear wheel bearings off and after reading some related posts I may have screwed up.
I made a puller and one came off easy. The other wouldn’t budge so I reverted to a slide hammer setup which I haven’t gotten to work either. Long story short I realized after reading some related posts that by pulling the axle outward I may have caused shims to be displaced. I guess I won’t know until ? 😬
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I got the tough rear wheel bearing off finally. What is the best way to check if shims or whatever have come off. The axle moves a lot in and out.
I also put a little bongo on the rims and installed some new hubcap clips.

Not a vw but related but not too far off although related to my lack of space. Went to put the old beemer away today and it got away from me . Oops 😬

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Got the front spindles done today. This is my attempt at getting bushings reamed straight. Turned out good.
Also attempted to put front snubbers ( is that what they’re called). The shocks are in the way so I loosened bottom of shock. Once snubber is on shock doesn’t want to slide all the way back over . Are these the correct rubbers or too thick or ?

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I'm just now realizing I may not have a split transmission in this 60 . It also may not have the correct mount or ? There evidently was an issue at some point with clearance. See pic.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Definitely not a split case transaxle, but it appears to still be using the stock '60 type front mount.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

What do you think about the big dent in the back seat area. Also does that look like a bus nose cone to anyone ?
Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

That is a Bus nose cone.

Can't say for certain why the big dent is there, maybe a PO tried fitting the tunnel transaxle with a Beetle nose cone.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

How can I tell which transmission I have. I don’t see a serial number. Just what looks to be a part number for the case and these numbers cast into the rear. Also can anyone tell if this is a early bus nose cone ? When I type in its number I dont get a definitive answer 🙃

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

How can I tell which transmission I have. I don’t see a serial number. Just what looks to be a part number for the case and these numbers cast into the rear. Also can anyone tell if this is a early bus nose cone ? When I type in its number I dont get a definitive answer 🙃

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

This is a casting day time stamp, per se.
It appears to be the 16th day 11th hour hour of week 30 of the year it was cast. If I am reading it correctly.German dating and numbering can be a puzzle sometimes.

On the nose cone.
It is from a year that the factory installed rear backup lights in a bus/bug?
IDk for sure. But the first year for backup lights in bus's and bugs was 1967. As far as I know. I could be wrong.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:

The serial number is stamped into the flat just below where the VW symbol is -- you can just make out the number 5 in your picture below.

Yes it's a proper Bus nose cone which you'd use to fit a tunnel type transaxle to a Beetle that originally had a crash box. The nose cone is for an "early" (ie split window) Bus versus the completely different type of transaxle found in a "late" (ie bay window) Bus. Yours just happens to be a later variant of an early Type 2 nose cone, complete with provision for a reverse light switch if you so desire to use it.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank you for helping me find the serial number. I looked all over for it. 😀
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Anyone know a source for axle tube retainers or a good way to straighten ? The part where the boot attaches is bent. Looks like axle went too far up and down. What causes this ?
Looks like the part number is 111 501 141 B but I can’t find any.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I imagine one could use a hammer to knock the lip back into round, or maybe squeeze the offending high spots in a large vise or C clamp. As for replacements, an internet search turned up a hit at ECS Tuning HERE, or multiple options in the classifieds if you don't mind also picking up the axle tubes as well.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I tried the hammer and then tried the vise. Both just made it worse. I think I’m just going to try and find two whole used axle tube assemblies with retainer because I tried to remove the wheel end of the tube assembly and it wouldn’t come off. Aarrrgggghhhhh.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Found a couple more axle tubes to replace bent and banged up ones. The previous owner must have ran car on really bumpy road.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: